Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We stay up if....
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 286 Guests

We stay up if....

This thread currently has 14,454 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
April 23, 2018, 10:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,661
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from chaos33
Unless I've figured this out incorrectly - Barnet must beat Morecambe on Saturday, at Morecambe. If they fail to win we are safe whatever our score.

If we beat Notts county, we are safe, whatever Barnet's result.

If Barnet win and we lose or draw, we'll go into the final game away at FGR needing to win to guarantee safety, or at least to match Barnet's result at home to Chesterfield.

If Morecambe lose tomorrow, and then lose to Barnet, we will not need anything if they lose at Coventry as well. God its complicated, even with only a couple of games to go!

I thought if we draw on Sat we would only need a draw at FGR ?
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 89
KingstonMariner
April 23, 2018, 10:31pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
We could take some of these to FGR..........

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Inf.....d:g:TKcAAOSwTmtau7gz

It's not a ball so you should be safe from a throttling by the stewards.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 89
Poojah
April 23, 2018, 10:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,426
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from chaos33
Unless I've figured this out incorrectly - Barnet must beat Morecambe on Saturday, at Morecambe. If they fail to win we are safe whatever our score.

If we beat Notts county, we are safe, whatever Barnet's result.

If Barnet win and we lose or draw, we'll go into the final game away at FGR needing to win to guarantee safety, or at least to match Barnet's result at home to Chesterfield.

A defeat for Morecambe tomorrow changes the dynamic considerably in our favour. With two games left for each team, there are still loads of permutations however in terms of simple probability it’s only a very small % that can send us down. Effectively, it would take:

- Barnet to beat Morecambe
- Town to lose or draw against Notts County
- Barnet to beat Chesterfield
- Morecambe to better our result on the final day by a point if we lose against County or two points if we draw

Far stranger things have happened in football but there are quite a few planets which will need to align there in order for us to be relegated.

Should Morecambe win tomorrow night the probability of us going down rises significantly, however of all the teams who can still drop our set of circumstances is the one I’d choose. All will be marginally clearer this time tomorrow.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 89
RonMariner
April 23, 2018, 11:05pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,542
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Poojah

A defeat for Morecambe tomorrow changes the dynamic considerably in our favour. With two games left for each team, there are still loads of permutations however in terms of simple probability it’s only a very small % that can send us down. Effectively, it would take:

- Barnet to beat Morecambe
- Town to lose or draw against Notts County
- Barnet to beat Chesterfield
- Morecambe to better our result on the final day by a point if we lose against County or two points if we draw

Far stranger things have happened in football but there are quite a few planets which will need to align there in order for us to be relegated.

Should Morecambe win tomorrow night the probability of us going down rises significantly, however of all the teams who can still drop our set of circumstances is the one I’d choose. All will be marginally clearer this time tomorrow.

Don't forget the fact that two draws for us keeps us up at the expense of Barnet. So all of the above items in your list could occur and we could still survive!

I wonder if Rob could calculate the odds of all of that happening?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 89
Biccys
April 23, 2018, 11:08pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from RonMariner

Don't forget the fact that two draws for us keeps us up at the expense of Barnet. So all of the above items in your list could occur and we could still survive!

50-50. It will happen or it won't.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 74 - 89
RonMariner
April 23, 2018, 11:12pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Biccys

50-50. It will happen or it won't.

You mean it's 50-50 me winning the lottery this weekend? Might buy a ticket then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 89
RonMariner
April 23, 2018, 11:13pm

Special Brew Drinker
In fact I'll buy two tickets.......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 89
Poojah
April 23, 2018, 11:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,426
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from RonMariner

You are indeed correct. Maths isn’t really my strong suit but I make it that there are 60 possible scenarios, of which 4 would see us go down. I could be slightly out with that, but that would mean a roughly 6.5% chance of relegation which I’d have taken at this stage a few weeks ago.

Happy for someone more academic than I to correct me however.

Edit: this would be true only if Morecambe lose tomorrow.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 89
RonMariner
April 23, 2018, 11:20pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

You are indeed correct. Maths isn’t really my strong suit but I make it that there are 60 possible scenarios, of which 4 would see us go down. I could be slightly out with that, but that would mean a roughly 6.5% chance of relegation which I’d have taken at this stage a few weeks ago.

Happy for someone more academic than I to correct me however.

Slightly more complex than that because the probability of each outcome is not identical, but Rob normally has all this stuff at his fingertips so can tell us the true odds.

I suggest he doesn't bother until this time tomorrow though.......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 89
Badger57
April 23, 2018, 11:40pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,894
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Poojah
I could be slightly out with that, but that would mean a roughly 6.5% chance of relegation which I’d have taken at this stage a few weeks ago.

That should make me feel a whole lot calmer but unfortunately it doesn't! Thanks for trying though!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 89
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We stay up if....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.