3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
The Grim Reaper
April 20, 2018, 5:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -30
Approval: -533
Gold Stars: 1
This is the new crop of Neil Woods youngsters - will any of them make it? https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/april/meet-the-new-scholars/. Who was the last player to come through the youth system? Why do we have these token youth signings every year, players that are obviously not good enough? Is it even worth having an academy?  

Jesus wants me to be a sunbeam
Logged Offline
Private Message
rancido
April 20, 2018, 6:30pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,528
Gold Stars: 96
Posters on here talk about investment in the club but surely a Youth Policy is the best form of investment. If you don't have a Youth System then you have no opportunity to find local talent and benefit from it. Yes, you may go a few seasons  without unearthing a diamond but then you might. There have been many examples of local youths becoming part of the first team set-up and flourishing. You only have to look at our assistant manager to see one example and there are too many to itemize here.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
LondonMariner43
April 20, 2018, 6:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64
“Who was the last player to come through the youth system?”

Clifton?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
acko338
April 20, 2018, 6:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Gold Stars: 33
What has happened with Akheem Rose - the forgotten one ???
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
jimgtfc
April 20, 2018, 6:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,076
Gold Stars: 44
Seems like most of them aren’t local lads at all, few from the north east, London and even one from the USA. Shows the club are casting their net wider to bring in young players.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
McAllisters Ghost
April 20, 2018, 6:47pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +42
Quoted from acko338
What has happened with Akheem Rose - the forgotten one ???

There is supposed to be some sort of work permit tribunal some time in April - we've not heard anything at all from the club so assume its going to be some time in the next 10 days.

If we get approval would it be worth throwing him into one of the last 2 games, given the problem we have scoring goals up front would surely be worth a gamble.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
lukeo
April 20, 2018, 7:02pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,342
Gold Stars: 141
Imagine him getting the all clear before Fgr game and scoring a winner off the bench to keep us up  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
IlkleyMariner
April 20, 2018, 7:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,978
Gold Stars: 69
I know this may not be popular amongst local lads, but I would question whether clubs at gtfc level should run youth teams. If the council turn down planning application for PP, there is no case for the youth setup to continue.

Having said that my pals and I will be entering a team for the development golf day in July, so we are doing something to help fund the youth.

Hope to see Max Wright tomorrow and have to reassess thoughts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
lew chaterleys lover
April 20, 2018, 7:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,652
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
I know this may not be popular amongst local lads, but I would question whether clubs at gtfc level should run youth teams. If the council turn down planning application for PP, there is no case for the youth setup to continue.

Having said that my pals and I will be entering a team for the development golf day in July, so we are doing something to help fund the youth.

Hope to see Max Wright tomorrow and have to reassess thoughts.

We have this argument from time to time and my opinion is always no we shouldn't bother with a youth team or younger teams.

Just let them enjoy their football in local leagues and invite some for trial games when they are 16/17/18, either from here or further afield.

For me there are far too many variables involved in young players. Some are fantastic at 10, rubbish at 14. Some are rubbish at 10, and pretty good at 14. They can go from being big and strong and scoring 100 goals a season in a certain age group yet can't score any when other kids catch them up in physical size.Very very few are good enough when it matters - between 18 and 24 and beyond. Any truly exceptional talent (or exceptional for that age group) will be lured by bigger clubs anyway, so we are often left with whats the best of the rest.

Then we have the problem of different youth coaches looking for different things, in accordance with the first team managers wishes; a Buckley will want all ball players, certain other managers might want pace and physique and wouldn't be too bothered whether he can trap a bag of cement. A change of manager and everything goes out of the window.

Some players go all the way through to first year pros yet the vast  majority of even those are rejected. Is it really worth it?

It is just a personal opinion but I think a series of trial games would probably yield better results. It doesn't matter how good a young player is in their formative years - all that matters from a professional clubs point of view is that he is good enough when it matters when he can break into the first team.

Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
McAllisters Ghost
April 20, 2018, 7:57pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +42
Quoted from lukeo
Imagine him getting the all clear before Fgr game and scoring a winner off the bench to keep us up  

That would be great Luke, though it looks like you got a couple of crosses for that suggestion so I guess some people wouldn't like it if he scored the winner off the bench at FGR to keep us up, lol.

Maybe you are too positive - the mind boggles

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Future

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.