This thread currently has 3,533 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
April 18, 2018, 12:12pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

The FA, Premier League and EFL are close to agreement over the introduction of a winter break, Sky Sports News understands.

http://www.skysports.com/footb.....n-principle-for-2020

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
diehardmariner
April 18, 2018, 12:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,063
Gold Stars: 518
Quoted Text
Teams on a break from league action would be allowed to travel abroad for training camps.

However, money-making tours in the US or Far East would not be received so well.

So basically the break won't be about saving legs or improving the chances of the national side in summer tournaments, it's just a way of allowing the big teams to make more money by doing mid-season tours of far off countries.  The FA won't like it, but there's nothing they'll be able to do about it.

The hectic schedule is what makes the English game so entertaining and appealing.  
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
GrimRob
April 18, 2018, 12:55pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Would it affect League Two? If not it might lead to increased attendances as fans of PL teams slum it at our level to watch live games?

Or would we go on a mid-season tour of Winterton and Brigg?

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 21
horsforthmariner
April 18, 2018, 1:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,575
Gold Stars: 8
Im not convinced tours overseas are likely. Can you imagine Mourinhio's reaction if Pogba broke an ankle from a bad challenge by a Tokyo Tornadoes (no idea what they are actually called) defender in a friendly he didn't want to play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
Bignic69
April 18, 2018, 1:31pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
I'm gutted about this, its a tradition in my house to go to the match on boxing day and new years day, can't remember the last year I never.

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
ROKERITE
April 18, 2018, 1:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +414
Quoted from Bignic69
I'm gutted about this, its a tradition in my house to go to the match on boxing day and new years day, can't remember the last year I never.

I don't expect the break to be until mid-January so those fixtures shouldn't be affected.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
Abdul19
April 18, 2018, 1:44pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Those dates won't be affected

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
Gaffer58
April 18, 2018, 2:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
British football at Christmas time is all about the Boxing Day and New Years Day games, they are always better attended than the similar fixture if played in November/February so are a useful financial windfall for the teams, so as long as they do not mess them games up it's fine, but yes the premier clubs would use the break to make money in some football outpost, then complain their players are tired 2 weeks later when they have to play 2 games in 7 days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
ROKERITE
April 18, 2018, 2:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +414
Although the Boxing Day and New Year fixtures are unaffected I still don't welcome the news. The ending of FA Cup replays and switching of cup-ties to midweek will further devalue what we older supporters remember as being such a special competition. I recall the Arsenal v Sheffield Wednesday epic in 1979 which I think went to four replays before Arsenal won. Despite that marathon Arsenal lifted the trophy that season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
supertown
April 18, 2018, 3:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,415
Gold Stars: 53
Our winter is so unpredictable that this could be a disaster. I can see them coming back on the day it snows 6 inches, setting the fixtures back even further
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Winter Break

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.