3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
d3d4
April 15, 2018, 7:07pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +40
Hi guys,

Have a listen to our look at the run-in for all the key battles in League One & Two including a look at your battle with Barnet

[url]http://d3d4football.com/d3d4-football-podcast-ep40-ups-downs-and-the-hope-that-kills-you/[/url]

hope you enjoy

James
Logged Offline
Private Message
lew chaterleys lover
April 15, 2018, 7:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,690
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from d3d4
Hi guys,

Have a listen to our look at the run-in for all the key battles in League One & Two including a look at your battle with Barnet

[url]http://d3d4football.com/d3d4-football-podcast-ep40-ups-downs-and-the-hope-that-kills-you/[/url]

hope you enjoy

James

I listened to this earlier. They reckon Barnet will catch us but of course they are guessing like everyone else. It seems agreed though that Barnet have the easier run in on paper and our only win in 22 games came with a very late penalty against the lowest team in league football.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 27
Posh Harry
April 15, 2018, 7:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,350
Gold Stars: 35

I listened to this earlier. They reckon Barnet will catch us but of course they are guessing like everyone else. It seems agreed though that Barnet have the easier run in on paper and our only win in 22 games came with a very late penalty against the lowest team in league football.

Well let’s try and be positive lew. The team we beat were as lofty as 91st in English football when we actually played them. It is only since then that they have dropped to become the lowest 😉
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 27
lew chaterleys lover
April 15, 2018, 7:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,690
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Posh Harry

Well let’s try and be positive lew. The team we beat were as lofty as 91st in English football when we actually played them. It is only since then that they have dropped to become the lowest 😉

Now you put it like that I feel a lot more confident  
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 27
GrimRob
April 15, 2018, 8:40pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,399
Gold Stars: 113
We have the worst attack and the third worst defence in the division according to one of the panellists. Have to say Barnet have a much better strikeforce than us.

Going to be a nervous few weeks  

I can see us getting something out of the next two games, neither side has beaten us. We have scored first in the last three games and could have won them all on another day. If one of our strikers finds form at the right time we'll sail over the line.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 27
ex-merseymariner
April 15, 2018, 8:54pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
. If one of our strikers finds form at the right time we'll sail over the line.[/quote]

Will the right one, ie on form, play tho?
For the run I expect to see playing time for
Jackson  cardwell hooper mcsheffrey vernon and probably matt too. 6!    Wilks seems a long shot.

Thinking positively they should be fresh against tired defenders 😆

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 27
April 16, 2018, 7:05am
Guest User
Quoted from ex-merseymariner
. If one of our strikers finds form at the right time we'll sail over the line.

Will the right one, ie on form, play tho?
For the run I expect to see playing time for
Jackson  cardwell hooper mcsheffrey vernon and probably matt too. 6!    Wilks seems a long shot.

Thinking positively they should be fresh against tired defenders 😆

[/quote]

Gotta be honest. Of those strikers, the only one worth his salt is Jackson, and he's clearly on his way down (career stats suggest that), McSheffrey has been a brilliant player but at 35 clearly isn't the same player. I've made a decision now on Cardwell, I'm sorry but he isn't up to it, his hold up play was awful on Saturday, he needs to be more aggressive and back into defenders. Vernon, again been a decent player but he's only weeks left in his career, Matt is a gazelle, Bambi on ice, Wilks obviously isn't our player and shows potential. Let's just hope Jackson can stay fit as he is the only natural striker at the club.
Reply: 6 - 27
LondonMariner43
April 16, 2018, 7:23am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,940
Gold Stars: 64
We haven’t won a game this season when Vernon hasn’t played.  This may just be coincidence but he possibly holds the ball up better than other strikers and stretching the play.  It sounds like we got too deep on Saturday at 1-0 and needed to stretch play upfield.

Was Vernon injured on Saturday?

Jackson has made an impact in the small amount of time he has played.  

I’d like to see both starting against Swindon.

It’s a time for experience.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 27
ginnywings
April 16, 2018, 9:02am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Vernon is a clever player. The ball sticks better with him than any of our other strikers and his lay offs are better too. He allows us to get up the pitch more. He's unlikely to score though, so needs someone else to feed off him.

As the weekend has gone on, i'm regretting more and more our not beating Barnet. Slim to no chance of going down had we achieved it and think it has just reiterated how poor we are. The agony prolonged for another week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 27
GrimRob
April 16, 2018, 9:35am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,399
Gold Stars: 113
We average 1.5 points a game when Vernon starts and 0.8 when he doesn't. Might be a coincidence. Even if he doesn't score many the team might be better as a result of his presence on the pitch.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 27
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The run-in

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.