Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › League Two Fixtures Run-in – Bottom Six Teams
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 433 Guests

League Two Fixtures Run-in – Bottom Six Teams

This thread currently has 12,905 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
April 16, 2018, 12:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,108
Gold Stars: 548
I did think of the scenario where us and FGR play out a testimonial paced draw to both be safe, but i don't think it will come to that. I think they will be safe and will want to relegate us if they have the chance. I'm dreading going there needing something, but i have been thinking for months it is going to happen that way, and it still looks on.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 73
ex-merseymariner
April 16, 2018, 12:51pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from mike502
It's not out of the question (although probably unlikely) we could go into the last day of the season looking like this:

21 FGR 43
22 Grimsby 43
23 Barnet 40
24 Chesterfield 40

Presumably if that happened, we and FGR would have the sense to play out the stalest of 0-0 draws?

We had this discussion on Saturday.  But how tempting would it be in those circumstances for us to score a late late winner.  A mitch rose penalty preferably.  Score and it sends fgr down?!?!  

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 73
lew chaterleys lover
April 16, 2018, 1:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

We had this discussion on Saturday.  But how tempting would it be in those circumstances for us to score a late late winner.  A mitch rose penalty preferably.  Score and it sends fgr down?!?!  

They will be thinking the same in reverse of course so better all round to play out a 0-0 draw!
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 73
RichMariner
April 16, 2018, 1:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
It's a horribly dangerous game, trying to play out a draw in those circumstances - particularly because there can't be seen to be any pre-arrangement between the two sides as that's pretty much match fixing.

It'd have to be an 'unsaid' agreement, and that's flimsy as hell. All it takes is for one player to suddenly stick it in the net near the end because he's on a handsome win/goal bonus.

The players need to bust a gut now, because the nerves they might feel this Saturday will be unlike those they'll feel in a few weeks' time if they don't get the job done before then.

Also, if I were MJ, I'd find all those YouTube videos of the fans going mental at Wembley when Arnold scored, and use that to inspire the players. That's how much being in the FL means to the fans - now go out there and be a hero!

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 53 - 73
grimsbybrown
April 16, 2018, 2:06pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 2
It's all very uncertain and made more so given the quirk of how many of the bottom teams still have to play each other.

I agree with what has been said that fans of each club probably tend to take a gloomier view of their own situation.

Ultimately, it boils down to this for me.  Would I swop our present situation with Barnet or Chesterfield?  No way.

It's ours to lose.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 73
GrimRob
April 16, 2018, 2:15pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
The best way to play for a draw is to make sure it's not 0-0. A 1-1 draw doesn't look half as suspicious  

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 55 - 73
mike502
April 16, 2018, 2:34pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +328
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from GrimRob
The best way to play for a draw is to make sure it's not 0-0. A 1-1 draw doesn't look half as suspicious  

As long as they let us score first, I'd be happy with that arrangement...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 73
supertown
April 16, 2018, 8:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,439
Gold Stars: 53
It’s all opinions and hope but for what it’s worth I think we are safe . Really can’t see Barnet getting 2 wins and Chesterfield definitely won’t
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 73
arryarryarry
April 16, 2018, 10:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from mike502
It's not out of the question (although probably unlikely) we could go into the last day of the season looking like this:

21 FGR 43
22 Grimsby 43
23 Barnet 40
24 Chesterfield 40

Presumably if that happened, we and FGR would have the sense to play out the stalest of 0-0 draws?

I'm sure that FGR would be doing their damnedest to send us down if they had the chance.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 73
sydney
April 16, 2018, 10:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Realistically will we get anything at Swindon?
I hope so, but probably not ( we will be there)
Same prospect against Notts C (a lot better side than Barnet)
I think we will go into game against villagers needing to match Barnets result against an already relegated Chesterfield, and this I fear greatly
That’s why the sat just gone was such a massive game..
Keep working the players hard MJ
Please let’s see some sort of gameplan forming
Please just keep us the f@@k up MJ
Hadn’t posted after sat as wasn’t sure if the result finished my belief totally or I should have been pleased with a point
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › League Two Fixtures Run-in – Bottom Six Teams

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.