8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
April 14, 2018, 5:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Classic game of two halves and a draw was fair enough, but i can't help but be disappointed that we didn't take three points and virtually secure our league status. We needed that second goal in the first half and their body language wasn't good. Allen made a tactical change and got a handle on our midfield which Summerfield was dominating.

As we thought,Allen got into them at half time and they were all over us second half, with us sat way too deep and hacking the ball back to them time after time. It was inevitable that they would score and you could see them grow in confidence from then on. Bit lucky with their second but it wan't unexpected. We kept going though and Clifton did brilliantly to win to win the pen.

Can't be too disappointed with the result, but they are the worst away team in the country and again, we had no goal from a striker and no goal from open play. Throw-ins, set pieces and corners are keeping us alive at the moment, but with three games left, it i still in our hands.

Just one more clean sheet, and we would have been home and hosed. On to the next one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Yoda
April 14, 2018, 5:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,161
Gold Stars: 71
Poor game today we had nothing up front.
Allen changed it and went 2 1 up we where just coasting Jolley should have brought on some subs to freshen it up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 72
Badger57
April 14, 2018, 5:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,896
Gold Stars: 30
Really thought today would be the day we could rest easy, especially after the Chesterfield result. However with dear old Cheltenham and Lincoln letting us down badly we are now seriously in the mix again. Chesterfield, Barnet, us and FGR. Perm any 2 from 4. With Houdini expert Allen working his magic once again who would bet against them making the great escape for the 100th time? Is it really going to be history repeating or history rewriting on the last game of the season? The scenario we've all been dreading.
Very much starting to look that way isn't it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 72
Chrisblor
April 14, 2018, 5:55pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,780
Gold Stars: 233
None of our outfield players have the composure to score from open play. Cardwell and Clifton were both guilty of spannering over very decent chances to score. I have to say given this Jolley has done very well to make us more of a threat from set pieces (I'm including throw-ins and penalties here).

Ultimately it has to be a confidence thing. I really don't think the crowd did the players any favours at all this afternoon. In the upper there were plenty falling over themselves to loudly abuse our players after they made mistakes. Has everyone forgotten they're not world-beaters? We didn't win for 20 games! Of course they'll mess up but the crowd getting on their backs instead of supporting them I think contributed a lot towards our nervous performance in the second half.

I also have to say it was noticeable how one of our starting strikers got far more abuse than the other, which was interesting given I personally thought they put in similarly effective performances today. I wonder why that could be 🤔

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 72
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
April 14, 2018, 5:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
At the end of the day we went 2-1 down and pulled it back to get a point and who couldve seen us doing that before we used to just collapse.

I think were lucky barnet didnt change manager sooner as they look like a team well set up for a relegation scrap. We just looked a man short somehow in the second half and just looked a bit flustered in possesion.

Hopefully we’ll get a half asleep swindon who slip to a defeat and not a relaxed swindon who go out and enjoy their football against us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 72
ginnywings
April 14, 2018, 6:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Have to say that Barnet looked a better side than us this afternoon and we had the chance to virtually relegate them, but turned back into that clueless side that went 20 games without a win. We were sat far too deep and i don't know whether that was a tactic or not. Barnet's players looked much more comfortable on the ball than we did, and their strikers looked strong and quick. I'm back to being concerned, because i think they will pick up more points than us from the last three games. 5 points is a big ask for them but they have a far easier run in than us, so i'd say it's 50-50 at the moment.

If you can't beat the worst away side in the country on your own patch, then you get what you deserve really.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 72
Grimbiggs
April 14, 2018, 6:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Quoted from ginnywings
Have to say that Barnet looked a better side than us this afternoon and we had the chance to virtually relegate them, but turned back into that clueless side that went 20 games without a win. We were sat far too deep and i don't know whether that was a tactic or not. Barnet's players looked much more comfortable on the ball than we did, and their strikers looked strong and quick. I'm back to being concerned, because i think they will pick up more points than us from the last three games. 5 points is a big ask for them but they have a far easier run in than us, so i'd say it's 50-50 at the moment.

If you can't beat the worst away side in the country on your own patch, then you get what you deserve really.

Yes, they may be the worst away side in the league, but points/goals wise we are the worst home team in the division. Whilst we may be above them, statistically we are the worst team in the league this year, and it's a good job we've only three games left....hopefully we'll hang on....UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 72
arryarryarry
April 14, 2018, 6:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from ginnywings

Seems like a Jolley tactic to bring one forward back and in the last two games it was Hooper, and play one up front where we don't have a forward that can do that role, I'm sorry but it appears clueless to me especially when we end up hoofing it up and it comes straight back.

Jolley should hold his hands up and accept he lost us a couple of points today.

In the end I'm not sure if we deserved the one point and if there is anybody out there that is still suggesting we should keep some of this shower of excrement then they need their heads testing.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 72
ginnywings
April 14, 2018, 6:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Grimbiggs

Yes, they may be the worst away side in the league, but points/goals wise we are the worst home team in the division. Whilst we may be above them, statistically we are the worst team in the league this year, and it's a good job we've only three games left....hopefully we'll hang on....UTM

Yeah, fair enough, can't argue with that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 72
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
April 14, 2018, 6:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Just seen swindon are in the worst form in league 2 so fingers crossed might be a great time for us to play them

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/league-two/form-guide.html
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 72
arryarryarry
April 14, 2018, 6:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor
None of our outfield players have the composure to score from open play. Cardwell and Clifton were both guilty of spannering over very decent chances to score. I have to say given this Jolley has done very well to make us more of a threat from set pieces (I'm including throw-ins and penalties here).

Ultimately it has to be a confidence thing. I really don't think the crowd did the players any favours at all this afternoon. In the upper there were plenty falling over themselves to loudly abuse our players after they made mistakes. Has everyone forgotten they're not world-beaters? We didn't win for 20 games! Of course they'll mess up but the crowd getting on their backs instead of supporting them I think contributed a lot towards our nervous performance in the second half.

I also have to say it was noticeable how one of our starting strikers got far more abuse than the other, which was interesting given I personally thought they put in similarly effective performances today. I wonder why that could be 🤔

Possibly because one of them just about ran himself into the ground whilst the other one had one of his can't be arsed games.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 72
oldun
April 14, 2018, 6:30pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Started brightly, played some decent stuff at times. Scored a good early goal. They could not hand Dembele who brought a couple of good saves from their keeper. In at halftime in front but a second goal would have made it more comfortable. I thought we would come out second half on the front foot to get the second. Never happened and mad dog had given his team a roasting. Suddenly we could not get up the pitch or if we did there was no support for the loan striker. We then concede 2 goals and it looks like curtains but we managed to get more bodies forward and Clifton made a great run the the bye line and squared it across the face of goal. Jackson was pushed and up stepped Mitch Rose to get us out of jail again. A scrappy game for large parts as you might expect from a relegation battle. A draw was probably about right. We cannot relax yet. I fear it may go down to the last game and maybe even goal difference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 72
Mrs Doyle
April 14, 2018, 6:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Allen v Jolley and Allen won this one on points in the second half.

M.J. brought off Cardwell to a few boos as he was at least giving their back four something to think about albeit playing just one up front was not good. he also took off Dembele who looked our best player.

Ok, Jackson won the penalty but the constant big hoofs from deep aiming at five foot nowt players were far to easy for their big bustling defenders we totally lost the second half and were bossed.

We love doing things the hard way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 72
AndyGTFC
April 14, 2018, 6:32pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Was a missed opportunity but then on the other hand, it looked for a moment like it was gonna be much, much worse so will take the point and live to fight another day after that woeful second half. First half was the best we've looked going forward in a long time.

Seems like this may very well go to the wire though.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 72
MuddyWaters
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Chrisblor

Because one ran his socks off while the other one was blowing out of his ar$e five minutes into the second half.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 72
Maringer
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
I'm still not entirely sure what we were trying to do today. We were obviously set up slightly defensively with just one man up front but it was difficult to see the tactics other than that. For instance, we won quite a few headers up front but rarely got anything from them as there was generally nobody near the lone striker. Cardwell incredibly isolated at times and, when the ball was played out in the air to Hooper on the left, there was rarely anybody there for him to pass to.

Speaking of passing, we managed the odd bit of good play and even managed to create a couple of chances on the counter for a change (failed to score or get a shot on target from them, of course), but way too often it was underhit clearances down the middle of the pitch and we just passed the ball straight to the opposition when under no pressure loads of times.

I'd have hoped that a clear style of play would have emerged by now, but it seems defending in depth and long throws are mostly all we're attempting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 72
mimma
April 14, 2018, 6:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
For me they always had an out ball when clearing it.  We only kept one up front and made it easy for them to win it back from our clearances keeping us under pressure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 72
Abdul19
April 14, 2018, 6:45pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
It would've been great if we'd got a second and cruised to an easy win, but we're a poor team, last week doesn't change that. It's worrying though how much in control Barnet were for most of the second half, but the recovery is something that I don't think would've happened a few weeks back. Superb work from Clifton to earn the pen and I think he should've won it for us a couple of minutes from time.

Annoying to drop 2 points but a 5 point gap to Barnet looks a while lot healthier than the 2 point one which was there for 3 minutes.

Next, Exeter to do the business on Tuesday night please.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 72
bradzmilne
April 14, 2018, 6:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,400
Gold Stars: 29
To look at today positively, we're in a slightly better position than this time last week.

Still remain 5 points clear of Barnet

Still remain 7 points clear of Chesterfield with them having one less game in hand.

If someone offered me the same scenario next weekend I'd be incredibly happy.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 72
barralad
April 14, 2018, 6:59pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Because one ran his socks off while the other one was blowing out of his ar$e five minutes into the second half.

Cardwell's effort is undoubtedly there but the jury is out for me on whether there is anything else lurking.  I don't suppose I'm the only one who wishes it was either McSheffrey or Jackson who had the chance that he missed-albeit after some truly excellent interchange with Dembele. His willingness to run for the most hopeless of causes is admirable but I see someone in desperate need of some coaching. He hasn't had much game time for whatever reason and here we are at the sharp end of the season where his every touch is under the microscope.  I did wonder whether Jolley might have left him on and "partnered" him with McSheffrey in much the same way as Podge used to be in Omar's ear all game in the early days.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 72
lew chaterleys lover
April 14, 2018, 7:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings
Classic game of two halves and a draw was fair enough, but i can't help but be disappointed that we didn't take three points and virtually secure our league status. We needed that second goal in the first half and their body language wasn't good. Allen made a tactical change and got a handle on our midfield which Summerfield was dominating.

As we thought,Allen got into them at half time and they were all over us second half, with us sat way too deep and hacking the ball back to them time after time. It was inevitable that they would score and you could see them grow in confidence from then on. Bit lucky with their second but it wan't unexpected. We kept going though and Clifton did brilliantly to win to win the pen.

Can't be too disappointed with the result, but they are the worst away team in the country and again, we had no goal from a striker and no goal from open play. Throw-ins, set pieces and corners are keeping us alive at the moment, but with three games left, it i still in our hands.

Just one more clean sheet, and we would have been home and hosed. On to the next one.

I thought a draw wouldn't be too bad, but having seen Barnet today and looking at the respective run ins I am not so sure.

Barnet always looked like they could create something, and it looked to me they would be able to get some more points from their games, but us I am not confident at all.

I thought today we started well enough, but we are really really poor and I thought we were a tad lucky to get a point. I still think we will go down. A couple of weeks ago it was Chesterfield I was worried about; now I think Barnet could well catch us. Thank goodness for the point though otherwise it would have been a bloody disaster.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 72
MuddyWaters
April 14, 2018, 7:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Cardwell's effort is undoubtedly there but the jury is out for me on whether there is anything else lurking.  I don't suppose I'm the only one who wishes it was either McSheffrey or Jackson who had the chance that he missed-albeit after some truly excellent interchange with Dembele. His willingness to run for the most hopeless of causes is admirable but I see someone in desperate need of some coaching. He hasn't had much game time for whatever reason and here we are at the sharp end of the season where his every touch is under the microscope.  I did wonder whether Jolley might have left him on and "partnered" him with McSheffrey in much the same way as Podge used to be in Omar's ear all game in the early days.

As he's been under the tutelage of Wilko for a season, I wonder whether it's the coaching or a lack of ability.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 72
barralad
April 14, 2018, 7:15pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from MuddyWaters

As he's been under the tutelage of Wilko for a season, I wonder whether it's the coaching or a lack of ability.

Mmmm. That opens a whole new can of worms!!

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 72
lew chaterleys lover
April 14, 2018, 7:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from barralad

I don't think there is anything else lurking, no.

He would have shown something by now, but his only asset seems to be he tries, although woefully slow off the mark and seemingly devoid of any anticipation. Even having said that, I think he gave us more than Vernon who is just not mobile enough. Lets be honest, they are all terrible - this must be the most toothless collection of forward players we have ever had.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 72
Teestogreen
April 14, 2018, 7:17pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from barralad

I've seen him once - (at Carlisle) and he looked 'raw' to me - relatively slow and a poor first touch - and this was Michael Jolley's first watching game before starting as manager - so surprised he went with him his starting 11 today. Agree with you.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 72
ginnywings
April 14, 2018, 7:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic

I thought a draw wouldn't be too bad, but having seen Barnet today and looking at the respective run ins I am not so sure.

Barnet always looked like they could create something, and it looked to me they would be able to get some more points from their games, but us I am not confident at all.

I thought today we started well enough, but we are really really poor and I thought we were a tad lucky to get a point. I still think we will go down. A couple of weeks ago it was Chesterfield I was worried about; now I think Barnet could well catch us. Thank goodness for the point though otherwise it would have been a bloody disaster.

Yep, still worried after watching them today with their run in. One good 45 mins from us and we were all but safe, but as ever, we are now left wondering right until the end now. Has to be said though that we are pushovers and Barnet very rarely score 2 goals in a game, so there is some hope there. It's not a stretch to think they could be only 2 points behind us next week with 2 to play. I think Chesterfield may well be down by the time they go there, so won't meet much resistance. Their other game is away to Morecambe, who are draw specialists. They could conceivably get 7 points from their remaining games, meaning we would need 2 or 3 depending on goal difference. I thought we needed 4 more points, as long as three of them were against Barnet, now it's squeaky bum time again. Oh for a win today to ease the worries.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 72
Badger57
April 14, 2018, 7:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,896
Thought before game that one point would be OK, but results in other games (Chesterfield notwithstanding) leads me to think that we're going to come up short. Relegation calculator tonight gives Chesterfield and ourselves for the drop.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 72
jonnyboy82
April 14, 2018, 7:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
The way we sat back and changed to what seemed a 451 in the second half with hooper on the wing is what cost us the game and lack of earlier  substitutions are imo what cost us 3 points against what can only be described as a awful barnet side.

Why on earth hooper was left on for as long as he was is another talking point , he cannot last past 60 mins or so and his fitness is very questionable to say the least.

Now some will say a point gained but for me its 2 points dropped , cardwell runs all day but its clear to see he lacks the quality needed even at league two , fox had a poor game and i got shot down a few weeks ago buly saying he might do a job short term but again i dont think hes good enough.

We drew a game in what we should have won after a decent first half and the manager has to take the blame in the way he set the team up second half , some might say im being harsh but we should have never have drew that game after the first half.

Summerfield for me was motm but all today showed was massive overhaul needed and is jolley tactically as aware as he thinks he is.

Frustrated.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 72
ginnywings
April 14, 2018, 7:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Barnet may well be poor, but so are we, and i think people are tending to overlook that. They are in better form than us and deserved at least a draw. You have to give credit to Martin Allen today. We were well on top for 30 mins and he made a tactical substitution which got back into the game. Obviously worked a bit of magic at half time too. Think Barnet deserve a bit of credit, they looked to have more technical players than us, but obviously have a soft centre. Frustrating yes, but we are still well in the fight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 72
quebec38
April 14, 2018, 7:59pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,575
Gold Stars: 48
I will settle for a point after that. We are 5 points in front with 3 to play. If we were in Barnet’s shoes we’d be saying it’s over and that there’s next to no chance, so let’s be positive and hopefully the boys will make sure of it now.
Defeat would have been an absolute disaster and it looked for a minute like Allen may have just taught Jolley a lesson. Allen didn’t look like a man that had given up and rolled the dice half an hour in and we didn’t know how to respond to it. For about 60 minutes we were second best, inviting pressure and hanging on in there. We got the point though.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 72
Tommy
April 14, 2018, 7:59pm
Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
As usual with us, a game of two halves.

First half we were quite good actually. Built possession up enough to allow players to join Cardwell in the final third. And dominated the midfield area with our 3 in there first to every second ball.

Scored the early goal, and continued to get into some good positions and without creating clear-cut chances, got into good areas and could've made more out of a couple of situations to score again.

After half an hour Barnet made a tactical change, going from 442 to 4-1-3-2 (with a centre half sitting as the one in front of the back 4). This matched us up, if not overloaded us, in central midfield. Still had the better of the rest of the half though I thought, with only a couple of free kicks in dangerous areas that might have troubled us.

Second half. Different story. Allen is a motivator and it was obvious he'd send them back out with a rocket up their arses. They were more competitive, they played a bit more football but still generally got it forward quick. But they got support around their front 2 quicker. They changed again with Coulthirst coming wide left when Akpro came on up top.

We should've gone 2-0 up after a great move between Cardwell and Dembele. Dembele did what he often fails to do, pass the ball to the right man at the right time. It released Cardwell and he lacked the composure to lift It over the keeper or slide it under him.

First Barnet goal I don't know if Macca might have been unsighted slightly as it wasn't a great finish, just a prod into the corner. Second goal just a wicked deflection but moments before that 3 of our players allowed themselves to be taken out of the game after allowing a player to drift behind them in the box and receive the ball in way too much space.

Good to get the equaliser quickly because had the game drifted into the last 5 minutes, we'd have lost any chance to gain any momentum as Barnet would've played time out going down injured, winning free kicks and taking their them etc etc. Good pen again from Rose.

Have to say I think our substitutions left us with an ineffective mix of attacking players for the football we had ended up playing. As the 2nd half went on we seemed to get more anxious and confidence ebbed away. That meant we ended up going longer from the back 4. So ending up with a front 2 of Jackson and McSheffrey (both under 5'10 and lacking pace at their ages) saw the ball come back at us every time.

Clifton on the right did fantastically in the build up to the penalty but despite his energy he isn't going to force Barnet to drop off. On the left at this point was Woolford who again won't force Barnet back. Combination of those 4 would've been ok if we'd been playing a bit of controlled football and worked possession up the pitch, but at that stage of the game we couldn't get it into midfield and were going longer.

Woolford had a good game in the middle but lost his effectiveness when moved wide left when we changed to 442. Was good in possession first half. There's a thought behind every ball he plays and he's got decent awareness. When he's out wide he gets isolated 1v1 too much and that isn't a battle he's going to win against a full back. Much more useful inside (probably only in a 3 though).

Hooper did ok when out wide left but really struggled when he moved up front. Showed a lack of awareness of what was around him which is maybe why he's more suited to a wider starting position when play is generally not all around him but just inside/in front of him. Ridiculous the criticism he suddenly started getting though after a half decent hour before that.

Cardwell contributed really well to the collective team performance, showed great work rate, put defenders under pressure and made something out of balls forward that our other strikers wouldn't have done. But a glaring miss in the second half. Don't know what he was trying to do, which suggests poor composure.

Dembele has been decent in the last 3 home games now I've thought. However i can see why he was brought off as he'd just given away possession a few times in the space of a few minutes after failing to release the ball to a player nearby who'd made an angle for a pass. Involved in 2 of our best bits of play though: 1) first half worked it with Summerfield to end in a decent effort at goal, 2) the move for the Cardwell chance.

Collins was good again (regardless of his goal).
Hall-Johnson was having a good game but didn't defend well in the last 20 minutes.
Clifton gave the ball away too much really but did great for the Pen and was brought on partially to help RHJ with Coulthirst down their left. Should've don't better with his chance too.

The result not really good enough and I fear that with our remaining games we'll end up hoping teams below us don't pick up points. I'd been saying a draw wouldn't be a good result in our easiest remaining game, but it feels a bit better having been the team to equalise with the last goal. Barnet looked an effective side in the 2nd half and it wouldn't surprise me to see them take it to the last game.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 72
Maringer
April 14, 2018, 8:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I thought Fox was fine today. Didn't do too much wrong that I can recall. Woolford had an excellent first half, but just disappeared out of it completely in the second. Allen had us sussed very quickly as each sub he made added more pace to their team and we duly struggled because we're so one-paced. Just a pity that we failed to take either of the other couple of half decent chances that came our way. Cardwell's failure to get his shot on target when played through in the second half shows where we're lacking. No lack of effort, but a distinct lack of quality throughout the squad. I'd have Barnet's front two over ours in a heartbeat.

A couple of other points. Does anyone else think Cardwell was a touch fortunate not to concede a penalty in the second half? He ran their player off the ball very clumsily. Also, what was their defender thinking about when he launched himself into an assault on Clifton near the end? And why wasn't he sent off?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 72
lew chaterleys lover
April 14, 2018, 8:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from quebec38
I will settle for a point after that. We are 5 points in front with 3 to play. If we were in Barnet’s shoes we’d be saying it’s over and that there’s next to no chance, so let’s be positive and hopefully the boys will make sure of it now.
Defeat would have been an absolute disaster and it looked for a minute like Allen may have just taught Jolley a lesson. Allen didn’t look like a man that had given up and rolled the dice half an hour in and we didn’t know how to respond to it. For about 60 minutes we were second best, inviting pressure and hanging on in there. We got the point though.

Martin Allen is just the man for this sort of crisis, and it wouldn't be at all surprising to see them escape at our expense. They have on paper an easier run in, and he will make sure they play to their strengths and try and drag them over the line. Next weekend is obviously critical - if it goes badly and they are only 2 points behind with 2 to play and a better goal difference, who would you back then? All ifs and buts of course but we have to get more points on the board and with one win in 21 games where are they coming from? I hope to God I am wrong but it is going to be a very close run thing.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 72
headingly_mariner
April 14, 2018, 8:11pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
I’d have taken a point beforehand, but I was sad to see the negativity in the managers tactics and subs 2nd. The two times he’s had us in front 1st half we’ve then been behind in the game. Both times I think he’s sat us back to defend the lead way too early.

Dembele was our biggest threat today and taking him off was criminal. His explanation that Dembele wasn’t injured and Harry was better than him at defending just made it a worse decision for me. He took our biggest attacking threat and the one person that was dragging us out of our half off after we’d just conceded. We then couldn’t get out and ended up behind.

Wonderful work from Clifton to dig us shite though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 72
Maringer
April 14, 2018, 8:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
My worry is that Chesterfield will have nothing to play for come the last game of the season. If they're already down, you could put your money on a Barnet win. Could be a problem if FGR are still in the mix (and even if they aren't, I don't see us winning there).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 72
Cloudy
April 14, 2018, 8:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Chrisblor

Kinnel that has to be the most ironic thing I have ever read in here. For years you moan and whinge throughout games boring those sat behind you to tears
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 72
Rodley Mariner
April 14, 2018, 8:21pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
There was a point in the 2nd half when we were struggling but still 1-0 up and their full back went past Dembele who turned, start to track and then just gave up. He told Clifton to get ready then but they equalised before he could make the change. He was a threat but we're not in a position where people can just not do their job.

I felt sorry for Jolley. We don't have anybody who can play up front on their own but our centre mids can't cope if there's only 2 of them so what do you do?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 72
ginnywings
April 14, 2018, 8:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
There was a point in the 2nd half when we were struggling but still 1-0 up and their full back went past Dembele who turned, start to track and then just gave up. He told Clifton to get ready then but they equalised before he could make the change. He was a threat but we're not in a position where people can just not do their job.

I felt sorry for Jolley. We don't have anybody who can play up front on their own but our centre mids can't cope if there's only 2 of them so what do you do?

You must have read my mind, as i was about to make the very same point. Twice in the space of a couple of minutes, he didn't go with the runner. We mentioned the same thing and it was the incident you mention that sealed his fate. At that stage, we were under the cosh and had to stem the tide, but couldn't get Clifton on quick enough. The fact Clifton had a massive hand in our equaliser makes the substitution beyond criticism for me. Dembele has to work harder if he wants to progress in football. It's not all step overs and jinks. Jolley was counteracting their tactical switch of putting Coultihurst out wide, by bringing on Clifton to help Hall-Johnson.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 72
dapperz fun pub
April 14, 2018, 8:49pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Jolley made exactly the right call bringing on Clifton for Dembele , they looked a threat down the left second half and cliftons workrate countered it plus he won the pen more or less
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 72
HertsGTFC
April 14, 2018, 9:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
So for me  a draw was a fair result if we play like we did in the first half for the rest of the season we'll be o.k. if we take the performance of the 2nd half into the next 3 games we're down IMHO.

Started pretty well and and the positives where when we got the ball down for once we had men in space and moved it well with some creativity and care. For a relegation 6 pointer it was a reasonably open game. However the one up front and the long balls in coupled with every throw in being a long one we surrendered possession way to easily and never really captivated to push on the a 2nd goal. I know it helped last week but one up front especially a "one" that is just learning the game didn't do us any favors.

I thought overall we where poor in the 2nd half we never really had any sustained possession and also sat deep again. Our mid field faded a bit and their changes caused us us trouble. I was amazed when MJ took off Dembelle as he was the main threat. During the 2nd period we couldn't decide if we where a play out from the back side or a Sladeball side this coupled with some real anxiety and an improved performance from Barnet led to us conceding what I still believe where two relatively soft goals      

We got out of jail with the penalty and once again well done to Mitch Rose who as soon as it was awarded grabbed the ball and remained calm despite the attentions of that fukin cheating scum bag Akinde, I loathe his type.

Some stuff to note..........

Martin Allen - Did he really throw the ball into the main stand so they could make a change?

The Ref - Shocking should have sent the lad off who clattered Clifton, we should have had a 2nd penalty IMHO, Allen should have been sent to the stands and why he let them have a huddle after the 2nd goal I'll never know. He was a spineless sh1t bag.

Barnet players - A more cynical bunch you may never meet, every tine the likes of Cardwell, Dembelle etc.. turned them to get away or we had a break they just brought us down.

Hoof ball & head tennis - It has to stop now as if we try that versus Notts County at BP we'l get slaughtered.

Long throws - Yes sometimes but not every time as it won't always work and Rose was knackered by half time

Signs - Despite being disappointed we didn't win I saw some really good signed today one of them was that players seemed to want to play a bit more which at times led to them being robbed of possession but overall suggests to me that MJ is lifting one massive thing that has been missing - confidence!

So a points better than a defeat but as Barnet have arguably 3 soft games left I still think we are in deep danger of the drop.

I really hope we stay up not just because I couldn't bear the abyss again but also as despite some odd decisions today I reckon we could do well under MJ next season

UTM!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 72
Tommy
April 14, 2018, 9:26pm
Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from jonnyboy82
The way we sat back and changed to what seemed a 451 in the second half with hooper on the wing is what cost us the game and lack of earlier  substitutions are imo what cost us 3 points against what can only be described as a awful barnet side.

That's the way we were playing from the start of the game today.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 72
headingly_mariner
April 14, 2018, 9:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Jolley made exactly the right call bringing on Clifton for Dembele , they looked a threat down the left second half and cliftons workrate countered it plus he won the pen more or less

I’d have to disagree with that. Why not take the totally innefective Hooper off and switch Dembele to the left. No issue with Clifton coming on though.

Taking Dembele and Cardwell off took away our ways of getting out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 72
moosey_club
April 14, 2018, 9:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
without reading any other replies....

decent first half, thought the midfield blended quite well and worked very hard pressing the ball when we didnt have it to turn it over quickly, Hooper on the left i thought worked quite well and he was quick to support Cardwell when going forward...still...as we all know...the quality link between midfield and the front just isnt there which didnt allow us to capitalise on a pretty dominant first half...

second half completely outwitted and outplayed, sat too deep and invited them on...they changed things and took the momentum.....very reminiscent of Hurst's reign to me...we were obviously the second best team, increasingly under pressure but MJ wasnt pro active with his subs...didnt make a change until we conceded  which was disappointing.

the subs we made seemed to disjoint us and a very sloppy ( albeit fortunate ) goal soon followed....that killed the crowd , you could feel the silence at that point...awful feeling...

but Clifton was having none of it and his neat play and determination saw Jackson bundled over for the penalty and equaliser.....perfectly timed as i think if we hadnt have got that at that time we would have panicked and resulted to a more direct style.
After that we were back in it but very little created, one chance for Clifton to take the glory but otherwise still limited goal threat.

Cardwell - ran his legs off, looked to link up , but was left too isolated second half...one clear chance after linking up with Dembele but either his first touch or the pass just ran away from him. Was right to be withdrawn as was knackered.

Hooper - despite a couple of poor passes late on i thought he was ok, won a great deal in the air and quick to get forward alongside Cardwell.

Woolford - liked him on the left of a centre three

Clifton - did what Dembele wasnt doing, took the ball forward ( as Dembele did ) but passed to a team mate at the end of it.

Other positives....came back from losing a lead....Mitch Rose's throw in routine...much more threatening than the previous 2/3 seasons attempts so big up to Jolley for re-thinking that...Jackson back maybe just in time to give the front line a bit more life.

Shame we didnt come out of the blocks at the start of the second half as a definate chance wasted today.

4 points from two games though is a decent return given the last 4 months.

UTM

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 72
HertsGTFC
April 14, 2018, 9:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from MuddyWaters

And to back this up we never start with the same 2 strikers two games in a row. Jackson will start next week.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 72
Roast Em Bobby
April 14, 2018, 9:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,719
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from jonnyboy82

We played 433/451 from the start of the match. We just played the system a lot better in the first half than the second.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 72
Maringer
April 14, 2018, 9:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
More precisely, Allen rejigged their team to add another man in the midfield and they began to dominate there where we'd been on top for much of the first half.

We didn't really have enough on the bench to react and make much of a difference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 72
Mikey_345
April 14, 2018, 10:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,355
Gold Stars: 100
So let me get this right - Barnet couldn’t beat the “worst team in the league” this calendar year, have only won 9 all season and we now have them wining 3 from 3 as a done deal?!

It could happen, but the likelihood is far smaller than what some seem to think.

Still think we pick up points in next three games.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 72
Chrisblor
April 14, 2018, 10:37pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,780
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from Cloudy

Kinnel that has to be the most ironic thing I have ever read in here. For years you moan and whinge throughout games boring those sat behind you to tears

1. Who on earth are you?

2. There was plenty of loud moaning and whinging coming from the seats surrounding me today.

3. I'm far from the worst culprit for moaning at games. And any desire I have to moan during our remaining home games has been put on hold because we're stuck in a relegation battle, with squad lacking quality, filled with players who demonstrably struggle when the crowd gets on their back. All those groaning and still expecting Summerfield to ping one into the top corner from outside the box, or Dembele to make the right decision at the end of a run, or any of our strikers to actually finish a chance should read and listen to what our manager had to say earlier this week:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/NioZvkM.png[/img]

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 72
Roast Em Bobby
April 14, 2018, 10:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
More precisely, Allen rejigged their team to add another man in the midfield and they began to dominate there where we'd been on top for much of the first half.

We didn't really have enough on the bench to react and make much of a difference.

Spot on. It seemed a weird sub at the time with a centre half coming on. I didn’t  take any major notice of how this affected their formation at the time, but it definitely swung the game in their favour.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 72
promotion plaice
April 14, 2018, 11:47pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

We got out of jail today with a draw on that second half performance so let's take that as a positive.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 72
Davec
April 15, 2018, 7:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Well first 30 mins we were the better team and we created some half decent chances with Hooper having a few half chances, but for all our good approach play in that opening 30 mins I think the lack of quality in the final 3rd was highlighted. Then when Allen made that change by bringing on a Centre back and pushing a player forward into midfield they started to regain some control in the game and we couldn't cope.

2nd half we struggled badly and it was a poor 2nd half performance where we failed to string 3 passes together and we struggled with some of their pace and movement in the final 3rd with both goals being some very poor defending.

I think Hooper looked alright in spells out wide but that leaves Cardwell isolated, and Hooper worked harder than he often has done but I don't think he will ever work his socks off, Cardwell looks a willing runner but it would appear he is way off the standard just like our other forwards.

Hall Johnson played well first half but 2nd half he was guilty of some very poor defending, I'm not overly convinced by Fox, certainly more agile than Dixon but his crossing is very hit and miss and I think he gets beaten defensively too easily.

Clifton did very well to win the penalty which tempers criticism of the decision to replace Dembele with him, however I do think Clifton's first touch isn't the best which certainly doesn't help when the midfield is congested, I have noticed this in other games also, but having said that I do prefer him to Berrett.

I think overall the performance highlighted that the squad overall is quite poor and there is a distinct lack of quality in it, point gained with Chesterfield losing, but 3 points would have been better, I suspect we might be alright now but I could be wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 72
dapperz fun pub
April 15, 2018, 8:00am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Davec
Well first 30 mins we were the better team and we created some half decent chances with Hooper having a few half chances, but for all our good approach play in that opening 30 mins I think the lack of quality in the final 3rd was highlighted. Then when Allen made that change by bringing on a Centre back and pushing a player forward into midfield they started to regain some control in the game and we couldn't cope.

2nd half we struggled badly and it was a poor 2nd half performance where we failed to string 3 passes together and we struggled with some of their pace and movement in the final 3rd with both goals being some very poor defending.

I think Hooper looked alright in spells out wide but that leaves Cardwell isolated, and Hooper worked harder than he often has done but I don't think he will ever work his socks off, Cardwell looks a willing runner but it would appear he is way off the standard just like our other forwards.

Hall Johnson played well first half but 2nd half he was guilty of some very poor defending, I'm not overly convinced by Fox, certainly more agile than Dixon but his crossing is very hit and miss and I think he gets beaten defensively too easily.

Clifton did very well to win the penalty which tempers criticism of the decision to replace Dembele with him, however I do think Clifton's first touch isn't the best which certainly doesn't help when the midfield is congested, I have noticed this in other games also, but having said that I do prefer him to Berrett.

I think overall the performance highlighted that the squad overall is quite poor and there is a distinct lack of quality in it, point gained with Chesterfield losing, but 3 points would have been better, I suspect we might be alright now but I could be wrong.

Clifton’s first touch got him away from the first defender enabling him to attack their box to provide the cross for the peno. If you are closely watching him you’ll notice he drifts into centre mid which is his preferred position. Remember he’s a young lad thrust into a dreadful team playing out of position
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 72
Davec
April 15, 2018, 8:03am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Clifton’s first touch got him away from the first defender enabling him to attack their box to provide the cross for the peno. If you are closely watching him you’ll notice he drifts into centre mid which is his preferred position. Remember he’s a young lad thrust into a dreadful team playing out of position

Yes i did say he did really well to win the penalty and that I prefer him to Berrett who somehow has over 200 league 1 appearances under his belt.
I was merely pointing out a something in my opinion is a weakness in Clifton's game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 72
11MARINER11
April 15, 2018, 9:01am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: -55
In a nutshell ! The point today could be the one that keeps us up , we wer dog poo second half , can u imagine if they got 3 points we got 0 , i will take the draw thank you very much Mr Jolly , love the way we can keep going till the death to get a result . UTM , i will be there next season no matter what division (2 i hope) !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 72
Grantley
April 15, 2018, 10:10am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
I can’t remember seeing a football league team with so little composure in front of goal! If Cardwell had scored that chance early in the second half, that would’ve been the game. We also manage to scuff so many shots and the ball never seems to fall for us at set-pieces. This isn’t a coincidence.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 72
Maringer
April 15, 2018, 10:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Collins' goal was a rare occasion where we actually had somebody moving onto the ball in the box at a set piece. Our players usually tend to be pretty static waiting around in the hope that the ball will just reach them. A bit more movement might lead to one or two more opportunities.

I have to say I'm baffled by the claim that Clifton has a poor first touch! Looks a good ball player to me and his passing and movement was very good in comparison to some of his more senior colleagues yesterday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 72
oldun
April 15, 2018, 10:36am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I know he was not on the field long and hardly had a touch, is never going to win headers like a target man, but I tell you what Jackson is dangerous in the box. Remember he reacted quickly and scored after 3 mins on his debut and he was on the end of Clifton's brilliant cross and won the penalty. Not bad contributions for someone who has had only a llimited time on the pitch. He is different to our other strikers and looks to take up dangerous positions. If we can feed him he will score.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 72
RonMariner
April 15, 2018, 10:49am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,659
Gold Stars: 226
Barnet have an easy run in, but inconsistency  is the hallmark of relegaton teams so three wins woukd appear very unlikely.

I can see them getting 7 pounts though. So we need to win one of our last three games to stay up.

At this stage i would say its 50/50 whether we will make it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 72
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
April 15, 2018, 10:52am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from oldun
I know he was not on the field long and hardly had a touch, is never going to win headers like a target man, but I tell you what Jackson is dangerous in the box. Remember he reacted quickly and scored after 3 mins on his debut and he was on the end of Clifton's brilliant cross and won the penalty. Not bad contributions for someone who has had only a llimited time on the pitch. He is different to our other strikers and looks to take up dangerous positions. If we can feed him he will score.

Yeh I hope jackson starts against swindon, agree with what you said and just looked like he had a good footballing brain always thinking about doing something
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 72
barralad
April 15, 2018, 11:04am
Mariners Trust
I haven't seen it mentioned and he is making a habit of it but a big shout out for Macca for the schmeichelesque save in the first half where he pushed away the header. Looked a goal all day to me...

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 72
dapperz fun pub
April 15, 2018, 11:27am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from barralad
I haven't seen it mentioned and he is making a habit of it but a big shout out for Macca for the schmeichelesque save in the first half where he pushed away the header. Looked a goal all day to me...

Nobody mention s him because he's reliable and does his job it's the others or at least some of the others I'm worried about. Extend maccas deal because I know for a fact another league 2 club have watched him a few times this season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 72
rancido
April 15, 2018, 11:30am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 120912[b
]I can’t remember seeing a football league team with so little composure in front of goal![/b] If Cardwell had scored that chance early in the second half, that would’ve been the game. We also manage to scuff so many shots and the ball never seems to fall for us at set-pieces. This isn’t a coincidence.

Well, this is the squad that Jolley inherited from Slade and it shows how poor Slade's judgement was in recruitment. We have a poor squad and yet we seem to expect them to be world beaters. Jolley can only do so much to inspire some belief in his players and use them in positions that suit them. That, coupled with some practical tactics and match substitutions might just get us through. Jolley is still learning his trade whereas Allan has been there, done that and got the T-shirt. That showed today in how he assessed the game and made telling substitutions. Jolley will learn this but  unfortunately we can't afford the patience of him acquiring that this season. I've been a big critic of Woolford on here despite his obvious experience at a higher level. He isn't a winger but he showed his worth in a more central role and that is where his strengths lie at this stage of his career.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 72
Roast Em Bobby
April 15, 2018, 11:40am
Fine Wine Drinker
The Dembele substitution was justified in my opinion. A few minutes before the sub Dembele received the ball on the right, lost possession to their full back and then made no effort to chase back as their full back marauded forward. I sit in the main stand and you could see Jolley shouting at him to to get back (as were half the main stand) but he didn't. MJ obviously decided he was either knackered or being lazy and subbed him within minutes. Good decision in my view, plus as has been said Clifton came on and played a key part in getting the penalty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 72
ginnywings
April 15, 2018, 12:25pm

Recovering Alcoholic
What Jolley has quickly done is realise that our strikers are not going to win games for us. That has been compounded by losing all three loan strikers, who were brought in to rectify this problem, and now the long term loan stiker Matt, to injury. Vernon also gets injured and that leaves us with Cardwell, Hooper and the returning Jackson. We have been extremely poor up front this season, compounded by bad luck with injuries. We actually don't look too bad at the back and midfield when everyone is available. He's also realised that Berrett is not up to it. One thing that has pleased me and gives me hope is the three late goals we have scored at home, without which we would be doomed. Throw ins, free kicks and corners have been markedly improved to compensate for our lack of striking ability. We have also had a lot of penalties, which means we are doing something right in the final third. If we had just one decent striker, we would be half way up the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 72
devs
April 15, 2018, 12:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,988
Barnet's home form worries me - I can see them winning both, especially an already relegated Chesterfield on last day, who I think are now doomed with matches v Wycombe and Exeter to come

We will therefore have to win one cos out goal difference won't be better than Barnet - and we have three tough games

Who knows? Pointless speculating really (but you can't help it) and Barnet might lose all three

As for the team... back five are decent at this level with RHJ impressing me the more I see of him; midfield looks better with Woolford more central, penalty king Rose giving his all, and Summerfield covering every blade of grass

It's the other front 3 that is the worry - Dembele has flattered most of the season for me (poor decision making and poor first touch); Cardwell is raw and ineffective; Hooper is just an average L2 striker (although I thought he did well first half)

Poor quality squad that Jolley is somehow finding enough from to makes us competitive, has won a big game, and perhaps might eke out a couple more draws

It will go down to the wire IMO
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 72
jonnyboy82
April 15, 2018, 1:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Seeing hooper and cardwell leading the line for us is just painful, not to mention the cart horse of a central defence.

RHJ  has impressed along with mckeown doing what he does , i honestly wouldnt give a toss if we only had macca to start the season as the majority of the whole squad aint good enough bar a couple.

This season cannot end soon enough , i just hope we survive and this mess can be sorted out.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 72
mimma
April 15, 2018, 2:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
In the first half Dembelle ran them ragged and they often had two or three players on him. He then found himself being forced back to get the ball which meant that he ended up loosing the ball in dangerous areas. I think the answer is to keep him up and not let him drop so deep. They would be frightened to death of him up front and force them back to cover him.

He's a flair player and you don't waste their talent in your own penalty area IMHO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 72
diehardmariner
April 16, 2018, 3:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,545
Gold Stars: 537
Positives and negatives from the game, aside from the points gained/lost issue.

Positives are that we responded to a set-back in the best possible fashion and Barnet are another game down with no in-roads made on us, Chesterfield are another game gone and a point further behind.

Main negative was that Allen showed that he had the better of Jolley on the day.  That's probably down to experience and know-how.  But Allen mixed things up at half-time and Jolley didn't really respond in the way that either countered or even went back at Allen.  Yes, his three subs combined to create the penalty.  But that was more a result of Clifton's sheer determination and Jackson's movement in the box than tactics.  

Barnet dominated the midfield and we needed to counter that but we didn't.  I can understand bringing Clifton on because Hall-Johnson was getting a roasting down our right and Dembele doesn't offer a lot defensively.  That said, Dembele was someone capable of offering something to extend our lead so I'd have kept him on.  Either behind Cardwell or out on the left in the place of Hooper.  Either way I thought Hooper faded badly in the second half and should have been taken off far sooner.

Which brings me onto our fitness which is my main concern as we go into our final games.  An awful lot of our players have had stop-start seasons be it through injury or if they've simply been out of favour.  The lack of ability to last 90 minutes showed on Saturday and there was a point just before the first changes were made where we looked dead on our feet.  From front to back - Hall-Johnson, Fox, Rose, Woolford, Dembele, Hooper and Cardwell all looked absolutely shattered.  The subs who came on have all had similar seasons, arguably even less game-time in the cases of McSheffrey and Jackson.    

There's nothing that can be done about this from Jolley's perspective because he's not only inherited this mess but also is a victim of bad fortune to an extent with injuries for the likes of Jackson.   What we have to expect is that there will be changes that we won't agree with but Jolley will make because he knows players have nothing else to give.

It looks to me like Jolley has been approaching games in two stages, the first 60 is about keeping things tight and steady.  Making it hard to break us down.  The first 30 is when he lets a little bit more attacking intent out and wants to go at teams a bit more.    Because of that I can't see him changing too much in his line-up, there will be calls for Jackson to start games but he simply won't last 90 and he'll probably be more effective with his movement against tired defenders than fresh ones.  
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 72
Madeleymariner
April 16, 2018, 6:02pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
Just watched the extended highlights, Clarke really is a sh1te defender.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 72
dapperz fun pub
April 16, 2018, 7:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Just watched the extended highlights, Clarke really is a sh1te defender.

I still can’t get it out of my head when somebody at the fans forum said Pearson was better than Clarke and slade replied that’s  your opinion you utter illegitimate slade
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 72
arryarryarry
April 16, 2018, 9:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
Positives and negatives from the game, aside from the points gained/lost issue.

Positives are that we responded to a set-back in the best possible fashion and Barnet are another game down with no in-roads made on us, Chesterfield are another game gone and a point further behind.

Main negative was that Allen showed that he had the better of Jolley on the day.  That's probably down to experience and know-how.  But Allen mixed things up at half-time and Jolley didn't really respond in the way that either countered or even went back at Allen.  Yes, his three subs combined to create the penalty.  But that was more a result of Clifton's sheer determination and Jackson's movement in the box than tactics.  

Barnet dominated the midfield and we needed to counter that but we didn't.  I can understand bringing Clifton on because Hall-Johnson was getting a roasting down our right and Dembele doesn't offer a lot defensively.  That said, Dembele was someone capable of offering something to extend our lead so I'd have kept him on.  Either behind Cardwell or out on the left in the place of Hooper.  Either way I thought Hooper faded badly in the second half and should have been taken off far sooner.

Which brings me onto our fitness which is my main concern as we go into our final games.  An awful lot of our players have had stop-start seasons be it through injury or if they've simply been out of favour.  The lack of ability to last 90 minutes showed on Saturday and there was a point just before the first changes were made where we looked dead on our feet.  From front to back - Hall-Johnson, Fox, Rose, Woolford, Dembele, Hooper and Cardwell all looked absolutely shattered.  The subs who came on have all had similar seasons, arguably even less game-time in the cases of McSheffrey and Jackson.    

There's nothing that can be done about this from Jolley's perspective because he's not only inherited this mess but also is a victim of bad fortune to an extent with injuries for the likes of Jackson.   What we have to expect is that there will be changes that we won't agree with but Jolley will make because he knows players have nothing else to give.

It looks to me like Jolley has been approaching games in two stages, the first 60 is about keeping things tight and steady.  Making it hard to break us down.  The first 30 is when he lets a little bit more attacking intent out and wants to go at teams a bit more.    Because of that I can't see him changing too much in his line-up, there will be calls for Jackson to start games but he simply won't last 90 and he'll probably be more effective with his movement against tired defenders than fresh ones.  

Agree with all of this and I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought Reece-Johnson had a very poor game. personally would still prefer Mills there.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 72
MuddyWaters
April 16, 2018, 10:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Agree with all of this and I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought Reece-Johnson had a very poor game. personally would still prefer Mills there.

Mills was injured.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 72
Maringer
April 16, 2018, 11:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
RHJ struggled after their nippy striker moved across that side, but let's not forget he was playing against 2 quick players at that point. He's fast enough himself, but against 2 quick players most would struggle, including Mills (who I think is a better all-round defender than RHJ, if not as quick and athletic).

I think RHJ looks OK and don't mind seeing him in the team for the pace he adds to the defence and I'd guess he's more likely to be a threat in attack given that he's played further upfield in the past. Mills is much better in the air, however.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 72
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.