arryarryarry
April 16, 2018, 9:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from diehardmariner
Positives and negatives from the game, aside from the points gained/lost issue.

Positives are that we responded to a set-back in the best possible fashion and Barnet are another game down with no in-roads made on us, Chesterfield are another game gone and a point further behind.

Main negative was that Allen showed that he had the better of Jolley on the day.  That's probably down to experience and know-how.  But Allen mixed things up at half-time and Jolley didn't really respond in the way that either countered or even went back at Allen.  Yes, his three subs combined to create the penalty.  But that was more a result of Clifton's sheer determination and Jackson's movement in the box than tactics.  

Barnet dominated the midfield and we needed to counter that but we didn't.  I can understand bringing Clifton on because Hall-Johnson was getting a roasting down our right and Dembele doesn't offer a lot defensively.  That said, Dembele was someone capable of offering something to extend our lead so I'd have kept him on.  Either behind Cardwell or out on the left in the place of Hooper.  Either way I thought Hooper faded badly in the second half and should have been taken off far sooner.

Which brings me onto our fitness which is my main concern as we go into our final games.  An awful lot of our players have had stop-start seasons be it through injury or if they've simply been out of favour.  The lack of ability to last 90 minutes showed on Saturday and there was a point just before the first changes were made where we looked dead on our feet.  From front to back - Hall-Johnson, Fox, Rose, Woolford, Dembele, Hooper and Cardwell all looked absolutely shattered.  The subs who came on have all had similar seasons, arguably even less game-time in the cases of McSheffrey and Jackson.    

There's nothing that can be done about this from Jolley's perspective because he's not only inherited this mess but also is a victim of bad fortune to an extent with injuries for the likes of Jackson.   What we have to expect is that there will be changes that we won't agree with but Jolley will make because he knows players have nothing else to give.

It looks to me like Jolley has been approaching games in two stages, the first 60 is about keeping things tight and steady.  Making it hard to break us down.  The first 30 is when he lets a little bit more attacking intent out and wants to go at teams a bit more.    Because of that I can't see him changing too much in his line-up, there will be calls for Jackson to start games but he simply won't last 90 and he'll probably be more effective with his movement against tired defenders than fresh ones.  

Agree with all of this and I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought Reece-Johnson had a very poor game. personally would still prefer Mills there.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 72
MuddyWaters
April 16, 2018, 10:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from arryarryarry

Agree with all of this and I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought Reece-Johnson had a very poor game. personally would still prefer Mills there.

Mills was injured.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 72
Maringer
April 16, 2018, 11:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,399
Gold Stars: 184
RHJ struggled after their nippy striker moved across that side, but let's not forget he was playing against 2 quick players at that point. He's fast enough himself, but against 2 quick players most would struggle, including Mills (who I think is a better all-round defender than RHJ, if not as quick and athletic).

I think RHJ looks OK and don't mind seeing him in the team for the pace he adds to the defence and I'd guess he's more likely to be a threat in attack given that he's played further upfield in the past. Mills is much better in the air, however.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.