8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Davec
April 15, 2018, 7:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Well first 30 mins we were the better team and we created some half decent chances with Hooper having a few half chances, but for all our good approach play in that opening 30 mins I think the lack of quality in the final 3rd was highlighted. Then when Allen made that change by bringing on a Centre back and pushing a player forward into midfield they started to regain some control in the game and we couldn't cope.

2nd half we struggled badly and it was a poor 2nd half performance where we failed to string 3 passes together and we struggled with some of their pace and movement in the final 3rd with both goals being some very poor defending.

I think Hooper looked alright in spells out wide but that leaves Cardwell isolated, and Hooper worked harder than he often has done but I don't think he will ever work his socks off, Cardwell looks a willing runner but it would appear he is way off the standard just like our other forwards.

Hall Johnson played well first half but 2nd half he was guilty of some very poor defending, I'm not overly convinced by Fox, certainly more agile than Dixon but his crossing is very hit and miss and I think he gets beaten defensively too easily.

Clifton did very well to win the penalty which tempers criticism of the decision to replace Dembele with him, however I do think Clifton's first touch isn't the best which certainly doesn't help when the midfield is congested, I have noticed this in other games also, but having said that I do prefer him to Berrett.

I think overall the performance highlighted that the squad overall is quite poor and there is a distinct lack of quality in it, point gained with Chesterfield losing, but 3 points would have been better, I suspect we might be alright now but I could be wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 72
dapperz fun pub
April 15, 2018, 8:00am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Davec
Well first 30 mins we were the better team and we created some half decent chances with Hooper having a few half chances, but for all our good approach play in that opening 30 mins I think the lack of quality in the final 3rd was highlighted. Then when Allen made that change by bringing on a Centre back and pushing a player forward into midfield they started to regain some control in the game and we couldn't cope.

2nd half we struggled badly and it was a poor 2nd half performance where we failed to string 3 passes together and we struggled with some of their pace and movement in the final 3rd with both goals being some very poor defending.

I think Hooper looked alright in spells out wide but that leaves Cardwell isolated, and Hooper worked harder than he often has done but I don't think he will ever work his socks off, Cardwell looks a willing runner but it would appear he is way off the standard just like our other forwards.

Hall Johnson played well first half but 2nd half he was guilty of some very poor defending, I'm not overly convinced by Fox, certainly more agile than Dixon but his crossing is very hit and miss and I think he gets beaten defensively too easily.

Clifton did very well to win the penalty which tempers criticism of the decision to replace Dembele with him, however I do think Clifton's first touch isn't the best which certainly doesn't help when the midfield is congested, I have noticed this in other games also, but having said that I do prefer him to Berrett.

I think overall the performance highlighted that the squad overall is quite poor and there is a distinct lack of quality in it, point gained with Chesterfield losing, but 3 points would have been better, I suspect we might be alright now but I could be wrong.

Clifton’s first touch got him away from the first defender enabling him to attack their box to provide the cross for the peno. If you are closely watching him you’ll notice he drifts into centre mid which is his preferred position. Remember he’s a young lad thrust into a dreadful team playing out of position
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 72
Davec
April 15, 2018, 8:03am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Clifton’s first touch got him away from the first defender enabling him to attack their box to provide the cross for the peno. If you are closely watching him you’ll notice he drifts into centre mid which is his preferred position. Remember he’s a young lad thrust into a dreadful team playing out of position

Yes i did say he did really well to win the penalty and that I prefer him to Berrett who somehow has over 200 league 1 appearances under his belt.
I was merely pointing out a something in my opinion is a weakness in Clifton's game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 72
11MARINER11
April 15, 2018, 9:01am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: -55
In a nutshell ! The point today could be the one that keeps us up , we wer dog poo second half , can u imagine if they got 3 points we got 0 , i will take the draw thank you very much Mr Jolly , love the way we can keep going till the death to get a result . UTM , i will be there next season no matter what division (2 i hope) !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 72
Grantley
April 15, 2018, 10:10am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
I can’t remember seeing a football league team with so little composure in front of goal! If Cardwell had scored that chance early in the second half, that would’ve been the game. We also manage to scuff so many shots and the ball never seems to fall for us at set-pieces. This isn’t a coincidence.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 72
Maringer
April 15, 2018, 10:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,404
Gold Stars: 184
Collins' goal was a rare occasion where we actually had somebody moving onto the ball in the box at a set piece. Our players usually tend to be pretty static waiting around in the hope that the ball will just reach them. A bit more movement might lead to one or two more opportunities.

I have to say I'm baffled by the claim that Clifton has a poor first touch! Looks a good ball player to me and his passing and movement was very good in comparison to some of his more senior colleagues yesterday.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 72
oldun
April 15, 2018, 10:36am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I know he was not on the field long and hardly had a touch, is never going to win headers like a target man, but I tell you what Jackson is dangerous in the box. Remember he reacted quickly and scored after 3 mins on his debut and he was on the end of Clifton's brilliant cross and won the penalty. Not bad contributions for someone who has had only a llimited time on the pitch. He is different to our other strikers and looks to take up dangerous positions. If we can feed him he will score.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 72
RonMariner
April 15, 2018, 10:49am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,540
Gold Stars: 224
Barnet have an easy run in, but inconsistency  is the hallmark of relegaton teams so three wins woukd appear very unlikely.

I can see them getting 7 pounts though. So we need to win one of our last three games to stay up.

At this stage i would say its 50/50 whether we will make it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 72
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
April 15, 2018, 10:52am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from oldun
I know he was not on the field long and hardly had a touch, is never going to win headers like a target man, but I tell you what Jackson is dangerous in the box. Remember he reacted quickly and scored after 3 mins on his debut and he was on the end of Clifton's brilliant cross and won the penalty. Not bad contributions for someone who has had only a llimited time on the pitch. He is different to our other strikers and looks to take up dangerous positions. If we can feed him he will score.

Yeh I hope jackson starts against swindon, agree with what you said and just looked like he had a good footballing brain always thinking about doing something
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 72
barralad
April 15, 2018, 11:04am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
I haven't seen it mentioned and he is making a habit of it but a big shout out for Macca for the schmeichelesque save in the first half where he pushed away the header. Looked a goal all day to me...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.