Tommy
April 14, 2018, 9:26pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from jonnyboy82
The way we sat back and changed to what seemed a 451 in the second half with hooper on the wing is what cost us the game and lack of earlier  substitutions are imo what cost us 3 points against what can only be described as a awful barnet side.

That's the way we were playing from the start of the game today.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 72
headingly_mariner
April 14, 2018, 9:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Jolley made exactly the right call bringing on Clifton for Dembele , they looked a threat down the left second half and cliftons workrate countered it plus he won the pen more or less

I’d have to disagree with that. Why not take the totally innefective Hooper off and switch Dembele to the left. No issue with Clifton coming on though.

Taking Dembele and Cardwell off took away our ways of getting out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 72
moosey_club
April 14, 2018, 9:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,207
Gold Stars: 224
without reading any other replies....

decent first half, thought the midfield blended quite well and worked very hard pressing the ball when we didnt have it to turn it over quickly, Hooper on the left i thought worked quite well and he was quick to support Cardwell when going forward...still...as we all know...the quality link between midfield and the front just isnt there which didnt allow us to capitalise on a pretty dominant first half...

second half completely outwitted and outplayed, sat too deep and invited them on...they changed things and took the momentum.....very reminiscent of Hurst's reign to me...we were obviously the second best team, increasingly under pressure but MJ wasnt pro active with his subs...didnt make a change until we conceded  which was disappointing.

the subs we made seemed to disjoint us and a very sloppy ( albeit fortunate ) goal soon followed....that killed the crowd , you could feel the silence at that point...awful feeling...

but Clifton was having none of it and his neat play and determination saw Jackson bundled over for the penalty and equaliser.....perfectly timed as i think if we hadnt have got that at that time we would have panicked and resulted to a more direct style.
After that we were back in it but very little created, one chance for Clifton to take the glory but otherwise still limited goal threat.

Cardwell - ran his legs off, looked to link up , but was left too isolated second half...one clear chance after linking up with Dembele but either his first touch or the pass just ran away from him. Was right to be withdrawn as was knackered.

Hooper - despite a couple of poor passes late on i thought he was ok, won a great deal in the air and quick to get forward alongside Cardwell.

Woolford - liked him on the left of a centre three

Clifton - did what Dembele wasnt doing, took the ball forward ( as Dembele did ) but passed to a team mate at the end of it.

Other positives....came back from losing a lead....Mitch Rose's throw in routine...much more threatening than the previous 2/3 seasons attempts so big up to Jolley for re-thinking that...Jackson back maybe just in time to give the front line a bit more life.

Shame we didnt come out of the blocks at the start of the second half as a definate chance wasted today.

4 points from two games though is a decent return given the last 4 months.

UTM

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 72
HertsGTFC
April 14, 2018, 9:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from MuddyWaters

As he's been under the tutelage of Wilko for a season, I wonder whether it's the coaching or a lack of ability.

And to back this up we never start with the same 2 strikers two games in a row. Jackson will start next week.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 72
Roast Em Bobby
April 14, 2018, 9:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,720
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from jonnyboy82
The way we sat back and changed to what seemed a 451 in the second half with hooper on the wing is what cost us the game and lack of earlier  substitutions are imo what cost us 3 points against what can only be described as a awful barnet side.

We played 433/451 from the start of the match. We just played the system a lot better in the first half than the second.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 72
Maringer
April 14, 2018, 9:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
More precisely, Allen rejigged their team to add another man in the midfield and they began to dominate there where we'd been on top for much of the first half.

We didn't really have enough on the bench to react and make much of a difference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 72
Mikey_345
April 14, 2018, 10:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,308
Gold Stars: 100
So let me get this right - Barnet couldn’t beat the “worst team in the league” this calendar year, have only won 9 all season and we now have them wining 3 from 3 as a done deal?!

It could happen, but the likelihood is far smaller than what some seem to think.

Still think we pick up points in next three games.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 72
Chrisblor
April 14, 2018, 10:37pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,764
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from Cloudy

Kinnel that has to be the most ironic thing I have ever read in here. For years you moan and whinge throughout games boring those sat behind you to tears

1. Who on earth are you?

2. There was plenty of loud moaning and whinging coming from the seats surrounding me today.

3. I'm far from the worst culprit for moaning at games. And any desire I have to moan during our remaining home games has been put on hold because we're stuck in a relegation battle, with squad lacking quality, filled with players who demonstrably struggle when the crowd gets on their back. All those groaning and still expecting Summerfield to ping one into the top corner from outside the box, or Dembele to make the right decision at the end of a run, or any of our strikers to actually finish a chance should read and listen to what our manager had to say earlier this week:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/NioZvkM.png[/img]

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 72
Roast Em Bobby
April 14, 2018, 10:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,720
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from Maringer
More precisely, Allen rejigged their team to add another man in the midfield and they began to dominate there where we'd been on top for much of the first half.

We didn't really have enough on the bench to react and make much of a difference.

Spot on. It seemed a weird sub at the time with a centre half coming on. I didn’t  take any major notice of how this affected their formation at the time, but it definitely swung the game in their favour.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 72
promotion plaice
April 14, 2018, 11:47pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

We got out of jail today with a draw on that second half performance so let's take that as a positive.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.