Tommy
April 14, 2018, 7:59pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
As usual with us, a game of two halves.

First half we were quite good actually. Built possession up enough to allow players to join Cardwell in the final third. And dominated the midfield area with our 3 in there first to every second ball.

Scored the early goal, and continued to get into some good positions and without creating clear-cut chances, got into good areas and could've made more out of a couple of situations to score again.

After half an hour Barnet made a tactical change, going from 442 to 4-1-3-2 (with a centre half sitting as the one in front of the back 4). This matched us up, if not overloaded us, in central midfield. Still had the better of the rest of the half though I thought, with only a couple of free kicks in dangerous areas that might have troubled us.

Second half. Different story. Allen is a motivator and it was obvious he'd send them back out with a rocket up their arses. They were more competitive, they played a bit more football but still generally got it forward quick. But they got support around their front 2 quicker. They changed again with Coulthirst coming wide left when Akpro came on up top.

We should've gone 2-0 up after a great move between Cardwell and Dembele. Dembele did what he often fails to do, pass the ball to the right man at the right time. It released Cardwell and he lacked the composure to lift It over the keeper or slide it under him.

First Barnet goal I don't know if Macca might have been unsighted slightly as it wasn't a great finish, just a prod into the corner. Second goal just a wicked deflection but moments before that 3 of our players allowed themselves to be taken out of the game after allowing a player to drift behind them in the box and receive the ball in way too much space.

Good to get the equaliser quickly because had the game drifted into the last 5 minutes, we'd have lost any chance to gain any momentum as Barnet would've played time out going down injured, winning free kicks and taking their them etc etc. Good pen again from Rose.

Have to say I think our substitutions left us with an ineffective mix of attacking players for the football we had ended up playing. As the 2nd half went on we seemed to get more anxious and confidence ebbed away. That meant we ended up going longer from the back 4. So ending up with a front 2 of Jackson and McSheffrey (both under 5'10 and lacking pace at their ages) saw the ball come back at us every time.

Clifton on the right did fantastically in the build up to the penalty but despite his energy he isn't going to force Barnet to drop off. On the left at this point was Woolford who again won't force Barnet back. Combination of those 4 would've been ok if we'd been playing a bit of controlled football and worked possession up the pitch, but at that stage of the game we couldn't get it into midfield and were going longer.

Woolford had a good game in the middle but lost his effectiveness when moved wide left when we changed to 442. Was good in possession first half. There's a thought behind every ball he plays and he's got decent awareness. When he's out wide he gets isolated 1v1 too much and that isn't a battle he's going to win against a full back. Much more useful inside (probably only in a 3 though).

Hooper did ok when out wide left but really struggled when he moved up front. Showed a lack of awareness of what was around him which is maybe why he's more suited to a wider starting position when play is generally not all around him but just inside/in front of him. Ridiculous the criticism he suddenly started getting though after a half decent hour before that.

Cardwell contributed really well to the collective team performance, showed great work rate, put defenders under pressure and made something out of balls forward that our other strikers wouldn't have done. But a glaring miss in the second half. Don't know what he was trying to do, which suggests poor composure.

Dembele has been decent in the last 3 home games now I've thought. However i can see why he was brought off as he'd just given away possession a few times in the space of a few minutes after failing to release the ball to a player nearby who'd made an angle for a pass. Involved in 2 of our best bits of play though: 1) first half worked it with Summerfield to end in a decent effort at goal, 2) the move for the Cardwell chance.

Collins was good again (regardless of his goal).
Hall-Johnson was having a good game but didn't defend well in the last 20 minutes.
Clifton gave the ball away too much really but did great for the Pen and was brought on partially to help RHJ with Coulthirst down their left. Should've don't better with his chance too.

The result not really good enough and I fear that with our remaining games we'll end up hoping teams below us don't pick up points. I'd been saying a draw wouldn't be a good result in our easiest remaining game, but it feels a bit better having been the team to equalise with the last goal. Barnet looked an effective side in the 2nd half and it wouldn't surprise me to see them take it to the last game.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 72
Maringer
April 14, 2018, 8:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
I thought Fox was fine today. Didn't do too much wrong that I can recall. Woolford had an excellent first half, but just disappeared out of it completely in the second. Allen had us sussed very quickly as each sub he made added more pace to their team and we duly struggled because we're so one-paced. Just a pity that we failed to take either of the other couple of half decent chances that came our way. Cardwell's failure to get his shot on target when played through in the second half shows where we're lacking. No lack of effort, but a distinct lack of quality throughout the squad. I'd have Barnet's front two over ours in a heartbeat.

A couple of other points. Does anyone else think Cardwell was a touch fortunate not to concede a penalty in the second half? He ran their player off the ball very clumsily. Also, what was their defender thinking about when he launched himself into an assault on Clifton near the end? And why wasn't he sent off?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 72
lew chaterleys lover
April 14, 2018, 8:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from quebec38
I will settle for a point after that. We are 5 points in front with 3 to play. If we were in Barnet’s shoes we’d be saying it’s over and that there’s next to no chance, so let’s be positive and hopefully the boys will make sure of it now.
Defeat would have been an absolute disaster and it looked for a minute like Allen may have just taught Jolley a lesson. Allen didn’t look like a man that had given up and rolled the dice half an hour in and we didn’t know how to respond to it. For about 60 minutes we were second best, inviting pressure and hanging on in there. We got the point though.

Martin Allen is just the man for this sort of crisis, and it wouldn't be at all surprising to see them escape at our expense. They have on paper an easier run in, and he will make sure they play to their strengths and try and drag them over the line. Next weekend is obviously critical - if it goes badly and they are only 2 points behind with 2 to play and a better goal difference, who would you back then? All ifs and buts of course but we have to get more points on the board and with one win in 21 games where are they coming from? I hope to God I am wrong but it is going to be a very close run thing.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 72
headingly_mariner
April 14, 2018, 8:11pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
I’d have taken a point beforehand, but I was sad to see the negativity in the managers tactics and subs 2nd. The two times he’s had us in front 1st half we’ve then been behind in the game. Both times I think he’s sat us back to defend the lead way too early.

Dembele was our biggest threat today and taking him off was criminal. His explanation that Dembele wasn’t injured and Harry was better than him at defending just made it a worse decision for me. He took our biggest attacking threat and the one person that was dragging us out of our half off after we’d just conceded. We then couldn’t get out and ended up behind.

Wonderful work from Clifton to dig us shite though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 72
Maringer
April 14, 2018, 8:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
My worry is that Chesterfield will have nothing to play for come the last game of the season. If they're already down, you could put your money on a Barnet win. Could be a problem if FGR are still in the mix (and even if they aren't, I don't see us winning there).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 72
Cloudy
April 14, 2018, 8:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Chrisblor
None of our outfield players have the composure to score from open play. Cardwell and Clifton were both guilty of spannering over very decent chances to score. I have to say given this Jolley has done very well to make us more of a threat from set pieces (I'm including throw-ins and penalties here).

Ultimately it has to be a confidence thing. I really don't think the crowd did the players any favours at all this afternoon. In the upper there were plenty falling over themselves to loudly abuse our players after they made mistakes. Has everyone forgotten they're not world-beaters? We didn't win for 20 games! Of course they'll mess up but the crowd getting on their backs instead of supporting them I think contributed a lot towards our nervous performance in the second half.

I also have to say it was noticeable how one of our starting strikers got far more abuse than the other, which was interesting given I personally thought they put in similarly effective performances today. I wonder why that could be 🤔

Kinnel that has to be the most ironic thing I have ever read in here. For years you moan and whinge throughout games boring those sat behind you to tears
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 72
Rodley Mariner
April 14, 2018, 8:21pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
There was a point in the 2nd half when we were struggling but still 1-0 up and their full back went past Dembele who turned, start to track and then just gave up. He told Clifton to get ready then but they equalised before he could make the change. He was a threat but we're not in a position where people can just not do their job.

I felt sorry for Jolley. We don't have anybody who can play up front on their own but our centre mids can't cope if there's only 2 of them so what do you do?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 72
ginnywings
April 14, 2018, 8:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
There was a point in the 2nd half when we were struggling but still 1-0 up and their full back went past Dembele who turned, start to track and then just gave up. He told Clifton to get ready then but they equalised before he could make the change. He was a threat but we're not in a position where people can just not do their job.

I felt sorry for Jolley. We don't have anybody who can play up front on their own but our centre mids can't cope if there's only 2 of them so what do you do?

You must have read my mind, as i was about to make the very same point. Twice in the space of a couple of minutes, he didn't go with the runner. We mentioned the same thing and it was the incident you mention that sealed his fate. At that stage, we were under the cosh and had to stem the tide, but couldn't get Clifton on quick enough. The fact Clifton had a massive hand in our equaliser makes the substitution beyond criticism for me. Dembele has to work harder if he wants to progress in football. It's not all step overs and jinks. Jolley was counteracting their tactical switch of putting Coultihurst out wide, by bringing on Clifton to help Hall-Johnson.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 72
dapperz fun pub
April 14, 2018, 8:49pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Jolley made exactly the right call bringing on Clifton for Dembele , they looked a threat down the left second half and cliftons workrate countered it plus he won the pen more or less
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 72
HertsGTFC
April 14, 2018, 9:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,645
Gold Stars: 217
So for me  a draw was a fair result if we play like we did in the first half for the rest of the season we'll be o.k. if we take the performance of the 2nd half into the next 3 games we're down IMHO.

Started pretty well and and the positives where when we got the ball down for once we had men in space and moved it well with some creativity and care. For a relegation 6 pointer it was a reasonably open game. However the one up front and the long balls in coupled with every throw in being a long one we surrendered possession way to easily and never really captivated to push on the a 2nd goal. I know it helped last week but one up front especially a "one" that is just learning the game didn't do us any favors.

I thought overall we where poor in the 2nd half we never really had any sustained possession and also sat deep again. Our mid field faded a bit and their changes caused us us trouble. I was amazed when MJ took off Dembelle as he was the main threat. During the 2nd period we couldn't decide if we where a play out from the back side or a Sladeball side this coupled with some real anxiety and an improved performance from Barnet led to us conceding what I still believe where two relatively soft goals      

We got out of jail with the penalty and once again well done to Mitch Rose who as soon as it was awarded grabbed the ball and remained calm despite the attentions of that fukin cheating scum bag Akinde, I loathe his type.

Some stuff to note..........

Martin Allen - Did he really throw the ball into the main stand so they could make a change?

The Ref - Shocking should have sent the lad off who clattered Clifton, we should have had a 2nd penalty IMHO, Allen should have been sent to the stands and why he let them have a huddle after the 2nd goal I'll never know. He was a spineless sh1t bag.

Barnet players - A more cynical bunch you may never meet, every tine the likes of Cardwell, Dembelle etc.. turned them to get away or we had a break they just brought us down.

Hoof ball & head tennis - It has to stop now as if we try that versus Notts County at BP we'l get slaughtered.

Long throws - Yes sometimes but not every time as it won't always work and Rose was knackered by half time

Signs - Despite being disappointed we didn't win I saw some really good signed today one of them was that players seemed to want to play a bit more which at times led to them being robbed of possession but overall suggests to me that MJ is lifting one massive thing that has been missing - confidence!

So a points better than a defeat but as Barnet have arguably 3 soft games left I still think we are in deep danger of the drop.

I really hope we stay up not just because I couldn't bear the abyss again but also as despite some odd decisions today I reckon we could do well under MJ next season

UTM!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.