arryarryarry
April 14, 2018, 6:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Chrisblor
None of our outfield players have the composure to score from open play. Cardwell and Clifton were both guilty of spannering over very decent chances to score. I have to say given this Jolley has done very well to make us more of a threat from set pieces (I'm including throw-ins and penalties here).

Ultimately it has to be a confidence thing. I really don't think the crowd did the players any favours at all this afternoon. In the upper there were plenty falling over themselves to loudly abuse our players after they made mistakes. Has everyone forgotten they're not world-beaters? We didn't win for 20 games! Of course they'll mess up but the crowd getting on their backs instead of supporting them I think contributed a lot towards our nervous performance in the second half.

I also have to say it was noticeable how one of our starting strikers got far more abuse than the other, which was interesting given I personally thought they put in similarly effective performances today. I wonder why that could be 🤔

Possibly because one of them just about ran himself into the ground whilst the other one had one of his can't be arsed games.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 72
oldun
April 14, 2018, 6:30pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Started brightly, played some decent stuff at times. Scored a good early goal. They could not hand Dembele who brought a couple of good saves from their keeper. In at halftime in front but a second goal would have made it more comfortable. I thought we would come out second half on the front foot to get the second. Never happened and mad dog had given his team a roasting. Suddenly we could not get up the pitch or if we did there was no support for the loan striker. We then concede 2 goals and it looks like curtains but we managed to get more bodies forward and Clifton made a great run the the bye line and squared it across the face of goal. Jackson was pushed and up stepped Mitch Rose to get us out of jail again. A scrappy game for large parts as you might expect from a relegation battle. A draw was probably about right. We cannot relax yet. I fear it may go down to the last game and maybe even goal difference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 72
Mrs Doyle
April 14, 2018, 6:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Allen v Jolley and Allen won this one on points in the second half.

M.J. brought off Cardwell to a few boos as he was at least giving their back four something to think about albeit playing just one up front was not good. he also took off Dembele who looked our best player.

Ok, Jackson won the penalty but the constant big hoofs from deep aiming at five foot nowt players were far to easy for their big bustling defenders we totally lost the second half and were bossed.

We love doing things the hard way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 72
AndyGTFC
April 14, 2018, 6:32pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +774
Gold Stars: 4
Was a missed opportunity but then on the other hand, it looked for a moment like it was gonna be much, much worse so will take the point and live to fight another day after that woeful second half. First half was the best we've looked going forward in a long time.

Seems like this may very well go to the wire though.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 72
MuddyWaters
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Chrisblor

I also have to say it was noticeable how one of our starting strikers got far more abuse than the other, which was interesting given I personally thought they put in similarly effective performances today. I wonder why that could be 🤔

Because one ran his socks off while the other one was blowing out of his ar$e five minutes into the second half.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 72
Maringer
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I'm still not entirely sure what we were trying to do today. We were obviously set up slightly defensively with just one man up front but it was difficult to see the tactics other than that. For instance, we won quite a few headers up front but rarely got anything from them as there was generally nobody near the lone striker. Cardwell incredibly isolated at times and, when the ball was played out in the air to Hooper on the left, there was rarely anybody there for him to pass to.

Speaking of passing, we managed the odd bit of good play and even managed to create a couple of chances on the counter for a change (failed to score or get a shot on target from them, of course), but way too often it was underhit clearances down the middle of the pitch and we just passed the ball straight to the opposition when under no pressure loads of times.

I'd have hoped that a clear style of play would have emerged by now, but it seems defending in depth and long throws are mostly all we're attempting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 72
mimma
April 14, 2018, 6:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,545
Gold Stars: 78
For me they always had an out ball when clearing it.  We only kept one up front and made it easy for them to win it back from our clearances keeping us under pressure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 72
Abdul19
April 14, 2018, 6:45pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
It would've been great if we'd got a second and cruised to an easy win, but we're a poor team, last week doesn't change that. It's worrying though how much in control Barnet were for most of the second half, but the recovery is something that I don't think would've happened a few weeks back. Superb work from Clifton to earn the pen and I think he should've won it for us a couple of minutes from time.

Annoying to drop 2 points but a 5 point gap to Barnet looks a while lot healthier than the 2 point one which was there for 3 minutes.

Next, Exeter to do the business on Tuesday night please.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 72
bradzmilne
April 14, 2018, 6:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,359
Gold Stars: 29
To look at today positively, we're in a slightly better position than this time last week.

Still remain 5 points clear of Barnet

Still remain 7 points clear of Chesterfield with them having one less game in hand.

If someone offered me the same scenario next weekend I'd be incredibly happy.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 72
barralad
April 14, 2018, 6:59pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Because one ran his socks off while the other one was blowing out of his ar$e five minutes into the second half.

Cardwell's effort is undoubtedly there but the jury is out for me on whether there is anything else lurking.  I don't suppose I'm the only one who wishes it was either McSheffrey or Jackson who had the chance that he missed-albeit after some truly excellent interchange with Dembele. His willingness to run for the most hopeless of causes is admirable but I see someone in desperate need of some coaching. He hasn't had much game time for whatever reason and here we are at the sharp end of the season where his every touch is under the microscope.  I did wonder whether Jolley might have left him on and "partnered" him with McSheffrey in much the same way as Podge used to be in Omar's ear all game in the early days.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.