8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
April 14, 2018, 5:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Classic game of two halves and a draw was fair enough, but i can't help but be disappointed that we didn't take three points and virtually secure our league status. We needed that second goal in the first half and their body language wasn't good. Allen made a tactical change and got a handle on our midfield which Summerfield was dominating.

As we thought,Allen got into them at half time and they were all over us second half, with us sat way too deep and hacking the ball back to them time after time. It was inevitable that they would score and you could see them grow in confidence from then on. Bit lucky with their second but it wan't unexpected. We kept going though and Clifton did brilliantly to win to win the pen.

Can't be too disappointed with the result, but they are the worst away team in the country and again, we had no goal from a striker and no goal from open play. Throw-ins, set pieces and corners are keeping us alive at the moment, but with three games left, it i still in our hands.

Just one more clean sheet, and we would have been home and hosed. On to the next one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Yoda
April 14, 2018, 5:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +4 / -20
Approval: -2,970
Gold Stars: 65
Poor game today we had nothing up front.
Allen changed it and went 2 1 up we where just coasting Jolley should have brought on some subs to freshen it up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 72
Badger57
April 14, 2018, 5:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,902
Gold Stars: 30
Really thought today would be the day we could rest easy, especially after the Chesterfield result. However with dear old Cheltenham and Lincoln letting us down badly we are now seriously in the mix again. Chesterfield, Barnet, us and FGR. Perm any 2 from 4. With Houdini expert Allen working his magic once again who would bet against them making the great escape for the 100th time? Is it really going to be history repeating or history rewriting on the last game of the season? The scenario we've all been dreading.
Very much starting to look that way isn't it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 72
Chrisblor
April 14, 2018, 5:55pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,678
Gold Stars: 231
None of our outfield players have the composure to score from open play. Cardwell and Clifton were both guilty of spannering over very decent chances to score. I have to say given this Jolley has done very well to make us more of a threat from set pieces (I'm including throw-ins and penalties here).

Ultimately it has to be a confidence thing. I really don't think the crowd did the players any favours at all this afternoon. In the upper there were plenty falling over themselves to loudly abuse our players after they made mistakes. Has everyone forgotten they're not world-beaters? We didn't win for 20 games! Of course they'll mess up but the crowd getting on their backs instead of supporting them I think contributed a lot towards our nervous performance in the second half.

I also have to say it was noticeable how one of our starting strikers got far more abuse than the other, which was interesting given I personally thought they put in similarly effective performances today. I wonder why that could be 🤔

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 72
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
April 14, 2018, 5:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
At the end of the day we went 2-1 down and pulled it back to get a point and who couldve seen us doing that before we used to just collapse.

I think were lucky barnet didnt change manager sooner as they look like a team well set up for a relegation scrap. We just looked a man short somehow in the second half and just looked a bit flustered in possesion.

Hopefully we’ll get a half asleep swindon who slip to a defeat and not a relaxed swindon who go out and enjoy their football against us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 72
ginnywings
April 14, 2018, 6:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Have to say that Barnet looked a better side than us this afternoon and we had the chance to virtually relegate them, but turned back into that clueless side that went 20 games without a win. We were sat far too deep and i don't know whether that was a tactic or not. Barnet's players looked much more comfortable on the ball than we did, and their strikers looked strong and quick. I'm back to being concerned, because i think they will pick up more points than us from the last three games. 5 points is a big ask for them but they have a far easier run in than us, so i'd say it's 50-50 at the moment.

If you can't beat the worst away side in the country on your own patch, then you get what you deserve really.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 72
Grimbiggs
April 14, 2018, 6:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Quoted from ginnywings
Have to say that Barnet looked a better side than us this afternoon and we had the chance to virtually relegate them, but turned back into that clueless side that went 20 games without a win. We were sat far too deep and i don't know whether that was a tactic or not. Barnet's players looked much more comfortable on the ball than we did, and their strikers looked strong and quick. I'm back to being concerned, because i think they will pick up more points than us from the last three games. 5 points is a big ask for them but they have a far easier run in than us, so i'd say it's 50-50 at the moment.

If you can't beat the worst away side in the country on your own patch, then you get what you deserve really.

Yes, they may be the worst away side in the league, but points/goals wise we are the worst home team in the division. Whilst we may be above them, statistically we are the worst team in the league this year, and it's a good job we've only three games left....hopefully we'll hang on....UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 72
arryarryarry
April 14, 2018, 6:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings

Seems like a Jolley tactic to bring one forward back and in the last two games it was Hooper, and play one up front where we don't have a forward that can do that role, I'm sorry but it appears clueless to me especially when we end up hoofing it up and it comes straight back.

Jolley should hold his hands up and accept he lost us a couple of points today.

In the end I'm not sure if we deserved the one point and if there is anybody out there that is still suggesting we should keep some of this shower of excrement then they need their heads testing.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 72
ginnywings
April 14, 2018, 6:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Grimbiggs

Yes, they may be the worst away side in the league, but points/goals wise we are the worst home team in the division. Whilst we may be above them, statistically we are the worst team in the league this year, and it's a good job we've only three games left....hopefully we'll hang on....UTM

Yeah, fair enough, can't argue with that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 72
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
April 14, 2018, 6:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Just seen swindon are in the worst form in league 2 so fingers crossed might be a great time for us to play them

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/league-two/form-guide.html
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 72
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.