4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
April 12, 2018, 6:46pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43730666

He was leaving at the end of the season anyway but they've now sacked him.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 12, 2018, 7:17pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
There is some sympathy on the Chester forum at the timing and the lack of backing. But most seem to think he asked for it with public comments about the club/board/players.

Interesting that Chester are supposed to have someone American interested in a takeover.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 37
KingstonMariner
April 12, 2018, 7:22pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Didn't a Yank own them years ago? Seem to remember a previous period of dodgy ownership.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 37
FishOutOfWater
April 12, 2018, 7:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
I know they say beware the Ides of March, but Bignot is going to start being wary of early April

Twice in one year he's been sacked in the same week
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 37
KingstonMariner
April 12, 2018, 7:35pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
I know they say beware the Ides of March, but Bignot is going to start being wary of early April

April is the cruelest month.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 37
Sussexmariner
April 12, 2018, 8:01pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +618
Gold Stars: 18
Am I the only one that has a bit of sympathy for Bignot?!

I ask myself would our club be in the position it is now if  Bignot was still in charge? I’m 100% certain we wouldn’t, not saying we would be world beaters but we wouldn’t be in this dire position we find ourselves now.

Would I swap him for Jolley?  Absolutely not, not been this excited about our manager since Buckley.

Are we any closer to getting promoted since Hurst has been here? No

Has he been given time to achieve promotion by the chairman and fans? Yes

Hurst out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 37
lew chaterleys lover
April 12, 2018, 8:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Sussexmariner

I ask myself would our club be in the position it is now if  Bignot was still in charge? I’m 100% certain we wouldn’t, not saying we would be world beaters but we wouldn’t be in this dire position we find ourselves now.

Would I swap him for Jolley?  Absolutely not, not been this excited about our manager since Buckley.

Managers seem to divide opinion more than any other facet of football. A lot, and I mean a lot of people didn't like Alan Buckley. To them he was arrogant, a clever so and so. To others, me included he was next to God.

I think it must boil down to personalities as it doesn't seem to matter that much if a manager is successful or not! Bignot was not my cup of tea, whereas Slade was. I  have liked quite a few managers over the years, the most popular ones for me being Jimmy McGuigan, Lawrie Mac and Buckley. Some are so so, others detested but there is nothing like a manager to divide fans.

As regards Bignot I thought it was what was was happening, or not happening, in training and the way he was acting that made the boards mind up not results on the field.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 37
kamakazebear
April 12, 2018, 9:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +457

I want to be excited about Jolley but I remember being excited about Newell so I darent!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 37
TAGG
April 12, 2018, 9:37pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
There is some sympathy on the Chester forum at the timing and the lack of backing. But most seem to think he asked for it with public comments about the club/board/players.

Interesting that Chester are supposed to have someone American interested in a takeover.

No chance.
It's been said on here (and other places) a million times there is no one in the world interested in buying/investing a football club.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 37
April 12, 2018, 9:42pm
Guest User

I ask myself would our club be in the position it is now if  Bignot was still in charge.

We'd be rock bottom if we'd stuck with that massive clown.

Reply: 9 - 37
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
April 13, 2018, 12:25am
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
I HAD sympathy for bignot but on reflection, for someone whos spent their entire career in football it seems really naive to play about experimenting the way he did, instead of having a go at pushing for the playoffs, points wise he couldve got the same dissapointing amount and not got sacked if he’d just looked like he was keeping a steadier ship. His palley interviews alongside his star pupil gavin gunning, and openly discrediting players technical ability, just comes across as daft

But that shouldnt have discouraged the board from looking at other up and coming management talent and slade was on such an obvious downward spiral that was a stupid appointment but thats another story
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 37
Garth
April 13, 2018, 4:23am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
I HAD sympathy for bignot but on reflection, for someone whos spent their entire career in football it seems really naive to play about experimenting the way he did, instead of having a go at pushing for the playoffs, points wise he couldve got the same dissapointing amount and not got sacked if he’d just looked like he was keeping a steadier ship. His palley interviews alongside his star pupil gavin gunning, and openly discrediting players technical ability, just comes across as daft

But that shouldnt have discouraged the board from looking at other up and coming management talent and slade was on such an obvious downward spiral that was a stupid appointment but thats another story

That interview along with Gunning still gives me the creeps now, like something from a Hitchcock movie, this club is better than that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 37
Abdul19
April 13, 2018, 7:06am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Didn't a Yank own them years ago? Seem to remember a previous period of dodgy ownership.

Yeah it was a bloke with American Football links I think. Ended up managing the team too (to relegation out the FL, unsurprisingly!)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 37
Davec
April 13, 2018, 7:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Maybe the its the same people who wanted to takeover us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 37
headingly_mariner
April 13, 2018, 11:18am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from 75

Agree with this. Bignot started with the side in a really strong and comfortable position. We had a small squad that just needed a little tweaking. Slade was not the answer but Bignot had spent the Bogle money on magic beans and left a massive unbalanced squad. There was no method or reasoning to his tactics and many of the performances were woeful.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 37
oldun
April 13, 2018, 11:22am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Did he not sign Jones, and Osborne though?, who some would argue were better than many player we have now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 37
RichMariner
April 13, 2018, 11:25am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I do think Bignot bought well, if you allow for a 50/50 strike rate on signings.

Yes, there were some duds (Gunning, etc) but Osborne and Jones looked very capable of excelling at this level given the right support, while Asante, Yussuf and Dyson looked to have enough about them to develop under a manager that wanted them and would've given them time on the pitch.

Buckley bought some rubbish every now and again, even Hurst signed rubbish (Straker, Brodie, etc).

One thing I agreed with was Bignot's assessment that we needed more technical players. The best were Osborne and Jones, and they were the two good things about our squad in the summer but Slade got rid and here we are.

I've over-simplified it, but it's impossible to know where we would be today had we stuck with Bignot. Personally I think we'd be something like 16th but equally discontent because it would've represented no progress and there would probably be calls for him to go in that parallel universe.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 16 - 37
Cod Cheeks
April 13, 2018, 11:29am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374

There but for the grace of JF maybe
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 37
OllieGTFC
April 13, 2018, 11:33am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
This bloke isn’t going to football league manager anytime soon think he has lost it already

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 37
FishOutOfWater
April 13, 2018, 1:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Agree with this. Bignot started with the side in a really strong and comfortable position. We had a small squad that just needed a little tweaking. Slade was not the answer but Bignot had spent the Bogle money on magic beans and left a massive unbalanced squad. There was no method or reasoning to his tactics and many of the performances were woeful.

He must have found someone somewhere selling beans very late on transfer deadline day given that Omar's sale to Wigan was one of the latest deals to take place  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/38482984
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 37
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
April 13, 2018, 3:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Dave challinors doing an amazing job with AFC fylde, who unbeleivably could be a football league club next season, and if they don't I find it hard to beleive someone won't want to poach him soon
Off topic I know but vaguely related and not worth starting a thread over
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 37
rancido
April 13, 2018, 4:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92
Quoted from 75

Is this the same manager who brought some decent players to the club and was then replaced by a real clown who ended up getting rid of them!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 37
Pouton4ever
April 13, 2018, 5:47pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: -244

He must have found someone somewhere selling beans very late on transfer deadline day given that Omar's sale to Wigan was one of the latest deals to take place  

I would also be amazed if he had managed to spend money that the club still hasn't received. Take a look at the accounts and it's not there yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 37
Mrs Doyle
April 13, 2018, 6:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from rancido

Is this the same manager who brought some decent players to the club and was then replaced by a real clown who ended up getting rid of them!

Not sure he could have done a worse job than (spit) (Cough) Slade (spit) the worst spell I have seen for years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 37
Northbank Mariner
April 13, 2018, 7:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
The thing with bigmott was he couldn't organise an orgy in a brothel but could rate a good prostitute...basically tactically useless but, give him his due, he could spot a player...he'd make a good scout but useless as a manager
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 37
chaos33
April 13, 2018, 8:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Bigloop

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 37
HertsGTFC
April 13, 2018, 8:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,646
Gold Stars: 217
Thing about Bignot was that he didn't quite get that is wasn't all about him. If he'd spent as much time enraging the players as he did playing to the audience he might have done better!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 37
Mallyner
April 13, 2018, 8:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,509
Gold Stars: 22

His new nickname is Tulip, he is out every Aprii.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 37
KingstonMariner
April 13, 2018, 8:32pm
Meths Drinker

Don't bring facts into it. If people went around bringing the facts into it where would we be?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 37
ginnywings
April 13, 2018, 8:34pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538

Don't bring facts into it. If people went around bringing the facts into it where would we be?

Getting it right?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 37
KingstonMariner
April 13, 2018, 8:35pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
The thing with bigmott was he couldn't organise an orgy in a brothel but could rate a good prostitute...basically tactically useless but, give him his due, he could spot a player...he'd make a good scout but useless as a manager

I don't know much about brothels, but I'd imagine that the first thing on your mind would be how good the talent was. And organisation wouldn't feature at all. Unless you really did have a strange perversion.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 37
KingstonMariner
April 13, 2018, 8:39pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Pouton4ever

I would also be amazed if he had managed to spend money that the club still hasn't received. Take a look at the accounts and it's not there yet.

Which part of the accounts? Are you saying that the bit of the accounts which says that net player trading was £826,183 does not include the Bogle sale fee?

You might be right that not all the cash had been paid by Wigan by the time the accounts were prepared.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 37
KingstonMariner
April 13, 2018, 8:40pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Cod Cheeks

There but for the grace of JF maybe

I've never advocated swapping JF for some other rich person or company.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 37
KingstonMariner
April 13, 2018, 8:41pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

Yeah it was a bloke with American Football links I think. Ended up managing the team too (to relegation out the FL, unsurprisingly!)

That's it. Think there was even talk of selling the Deva stadium as well.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 37
April 13, 2018, 8:46pm
Guest User
Quoted from rancido

Two clowns don't make a circus.
Reply: 34 - 37
KingstonMariner
April 13, 2018, 9:16pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from 75

Two clowns don't make a circus.

It does make it a laughing stock though.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 37
FishOutOfWater
April 15, 2018, 4:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Oooh!! That's contentious KM.... is there a place to  getyourfactsright   or not?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 36 - 37
rancido
April 15, 2018, 5:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Not sure he could have done a worse job than (spit) (Cough) Slade (spit) the worst spell I have seen for years.

I was referring to the fact that MB brought some decent players to the club and Slade ( Coco the Clown ) decided to get rid.  I would have been happy for Bignot to have stayed and at least had a summer transfer window to see what he would have brought to the club.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 37
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Marcus Bignot sacked again

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.