4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
April 13, 2018, 12:25am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
I HAD sympathy for bignot but on reflection, for someone whos spent their entire career in football it seems really naive to play about experimenting the way he did, instead of having a go at pushing for the playoffs, points wise he couldve got the same dissapointing amount and not got sacked if he’d just looked like he was keeping a steadier ship. His palley interviews alongside his star pupil gavin gunning, and openly discrediting players technical ability, just comes across as daft

But that shouldnt have discouraged the board from looking at other up and coming management talent and slade was on such an obvious downward spiral that was a stupid appointment but thats another story
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 37
Garth
April 13, 2018, 4:23am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
I HAD sympathy for bignot but on reflection, for someone whos spent their entire career in football it seems really naive to play about experimenting the way he did, instead of having a go at pushing for the playoffs, points wise he couldve got the same dissapointing amount and not got sacked if he’d just looked like he was keeping a steadier ship. His palley interviews alongside his star pupil gavin gunning, and openly discrediting players technical ability, just comes across as daft

But that shouldnt have discouraged the board from looking at other up and coming management talent and slade was on such an obvious downward spiral that was a stupid appointment but thats another story

That interview along with Gunning still gives me the creeps now, like something from a Hitchcock movie, this club is better than that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 37
Abdul19
April 13, 2018, 7:06am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Didn't a Yank own them years ago? Seem to remember a previous period of dodgy ownership.

Yeah it was a bloke with American Football links I think. Ended up managing the team too (to relegation out the FL, unsurprisingly!)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 37
Davec
April 13, 2018, 7:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Maybe the its the same people who wanted to takeover us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 37
headingly_mariner
April 13, 2018, 11:18am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from 75

We'd be rock bottom if we'd stuck with that massive clown.

Agree with this. Bignot started with the side in a really strong and comfortable position. We had a small squad that just needed a little tweaking. Slade was not the answer but Bignot had spent the Bogle money on magic beans and left a massive unbalanced squad. There was no method or reasoning to his tactics and many of the performances were woeful.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 37
oldun
April 13, 2018, 11:22am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Did he not sign Jones, and Osborne though?, who some would argue were better than many player we have now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 37
RichMariner
April 13, 2018, 11:25am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
I do think Bignot bought well, if you allow for a 50/50 strike rate on signings.

Yes, there were some duds (Gunning, etc) but Osborne and Jones looked very capable of excelling at this level given the right support, while Asante, Yussuf and Dyson looked to have enough about them to develop under a manager that wanted them and would've given them time on the pitch.

Buckley bought some rubbish every now and again, even Hurst signed rubbish (Straker, Brodie, etc).

One thing I agreed with was Bignot's assessment that we needed more technical players. The best were Osborne and Jones, and they were the two good things about our squad in the summer but Slade got rid and here we are.

I've over-simplified it, but it's impossible to know where we would be today had we stuck with Bignot. Personally I think we'd be something like 16th but equally discontent because it would've represented no progress and there would probably be calls for him to go in that parallel universe.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 16 - 37
Cod Cheeks
April 13, 2018, 11:29am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Didn't a Yank own them years ago? Seem to remember a previous period of dodgy ownership.

There but for the grace of JF maybe
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 37
OllieGTFC
April 13, 2018, 11:33am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
This bloke isn’t going to football league manager anytime soon think he has lost it already

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 37
FishOutOfWater
April 13, 2018, 1:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Agree with this. Bignot started with the side in a really strong and comfortable position. We had a small squad that just needed a little tweaking. Slade was not the answer but Bignot had spent the Bogle money on magic beans and left a massive unbalanced squad. There was no method or reasoning to his tactics and many of the performances were woeful.

He must have found someone somewhere selling beans very late on transfer deadline day given that Omar's sale to Wigan was one of the latest deals to take place  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/38482984
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Marcus Bignot sacked again

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.