4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
dapperz fun pub
April 16, 2018, 8:00am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Fenty wants out as he’s stated and some rumours flying about that it could be sooner than we think , I can’t wait to hear his exit strategy . Wonder how many times football fortune will get mentioned 🤔
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 35
diehardmariner
April 16, 2018, 8:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,416
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from pen penfras

Absolutely. I'm not saying it's impossible. But the consensus seems to be that fan ownership will suddenly transform us into a successful club.

The budget wouldn't be larger. Who would underwrite the club's finances? I know we don't lose much at the moment, but day to day running we probably dip into the overdraft which wouldn't be there without somebody to underwrite it. Then you get in the press for not paying players, staff etc and can't be good for morale. If results don't go well, attendances will drop and the situation would be far worse.

The thing that stands out most to me is that the majority of people calling for fan ownership aren't willing to do a single thing towards making it happen, unless you count bleeting on about it on here. If you genuinely want to go in this direction then you need to take the bull by the horns and start putting something in action. It may not prove fruitful, but at least you tried to do what you believe in. It's always much easier to let somebody else do it, but that somebody doesn't appear to be forthcoming.

The reason we operate where we may require dipping into an overdraft/need to utilise a benefactor is because how badly run we are.  That's the issue.  The issue isn't if the next owner is a fan group or an individual, the issue is that they have to be effective and make the club so.  Basic and sensible budget control would see GTFC operate at a tidy surplus each year, we quite clearly don't have that at present.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 35
MuddyWaters
April 16, 2018, 9:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from diehardmariner

The reason we operate where we may require dipping into an overdraft/need to utilise a benefactor is because how badly run we are.  That's the issue.  The issue isn't if the next owner is a fan group or an individual, the issue is that they have to be effective and make the club so.  Basic and sensible budget control would see GTFC operate at a tidy surplus each year, we quite clearly don't have that at present.

All of this.

Just imagine how many more would come through the turnstiles if the 'product' was better, the matchday experience was better and the fans actually believed that the club value their support.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 35
1mickylyons
April 16, 2018, 9:58am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I take your point about taking the bull by the horns. I find it sad and disappointing that more aren't up for it. Not really viable for someone like me to do due to distance and work commitments.

But no body is saying we would be necessarily  more successful on the pitch. I think that would come over time. i think the club would be run more with the supporters, its lifeblood, in mind, and that would make a more stable, longterm fanbase, greater sense of ownership and patience. I think the support would be more tolerant of things when results weren't going our way.

As for 'bleating' on social media, well its partly about seeing what the appetite is and who can be persuaded. Same as people 'bleating' about any issue they feel strongly about.

A lot are up for it but not being engaged and told to remain patient.If things don`t move quickly off the field we will be kicking off once again behind the 8 ball.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 35
KingstonMariner
April 17, 2018, 8:47pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from moosey_club

yes..i am a pessimistic tw@t regards GTFC   ......

Currently if you take what many would regard as a potential lead in fan ownership ...the trust .... an organisation formed, made up and run by supporters... they appear to be at odds internally with the limited power/control they have to date and dont seem to be clear on their direction...that is why i have doubts about it working for the entire control of the club here.

Sorry for being a bit harsh. Was in a bad mood Sunday.

The Trust from its inception, to my mind, has always been too unambitious/conservative in respect of fan ownership*. The current board don't seem to want it and that's their prerogative, and until the membership tell them they want it.

* set out in the aims of the organisation the object is to improve supporter engagement or something like that, which could be interpreted in a number of ways.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 35
KingstonMariner
April 17, 2018, 8:47pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from 1mickylyons

A lot are up for it but not being engaged and told to remain patient.If things don`t move quickly off the field we will be kicking off once again behind the 8 ball.

When's the next Trust meeting open for members?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ownership

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.