2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
sam gy
April 11, 2018, 6:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,387
Gold Stars: 53
Now that we've got a manager who potentially might actually consider playing a product of the youth team, i thought it'd be good to maybe have a bit of a positive discussion about the yoof.

Young Buckley - Just how good is he? I realise he's probably a few years off but are we allowed to get legitimately excited about this kid? It'd be too good to be true if he came good!
I've heard nothing but good things and he seems to score more often than not when playing for the youth team (although he's apparently more of a number 10).

Just wondered if anyone on here has attended youth/reserve games that he's played in and had an insight.

And while we're at it, is anyone else in the youth team currently impressing?

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimsby pete
April 11, 2018, 6:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Not sure if the young players could handle being called useless ect,

So just say nice things or nothing at all please.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
Cloudy
April 11, 2018, 7:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
I see a couple of the youth lads have been released already and one played for Gy Borough recently.

Hand on heart I think it may be a little longer before the revamped youth system starts to produce. This is another major reason why relegation MUST be avoided
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
diehardmariner
April 11, 2018, 8:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,071
Gold Stars: 518
I've seen Buckley a few times earlier in the season for the youth.

Very talented and confident on the ball, the lad definitely has talent and is capable of ghosting past players like they're not there.

That said he looked miles away, physically, from the first team. Let the lad develop over the summer and see from there.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
moosey_club
April 11, 2018, 10:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Well we are two weeks into April and i thought we were expecting a conclusion to the Akheem Rose situation any time now. ...

but then we were also expecting further announcements on Peakes Parkway in "a couple of weeks" back in December...

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
Maringer
April 11, 2018, 10:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
If there is ability there, I'd sort of hope that we'd keep him on the books and try to introduce him in fits and starts next season (when we'll hopefully be a Football League club in a comfortable position). You can fill out and strengthen a heck of a lot in a year or two from your late teens and too many players are discarded because it is assumed they aren't up to the job physically.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
diehardmariner
April 12, 2018, 8:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,071
Gold Stars: 518
I think, but happy to be corrected, he's a first year YT at the minute so he's got another year with the youth team.

Excellent points about filling out in a year at that age.  My personal belief is that there's far too little patience with young players in this country, especially at our level.   I completely understand the financial implications of keeping lads on for another year or so but I would hope that under this new philosophy that Jolley is bringing in we're far more pro-active with our young lads and their development.

At the minute we've the likes of Tom Sawyer and Jack Keeble who were given one-year professional contracts in the summer.  If they're to progress beyond that one-year deal realistically they're expected to make the transition with ease from youth team to full-time professional, make in-roads on the first team squad and/or impress to the point that they're deemed worthy of a deal as something other than cheap squad filler.  That's asking far too much for the vast majority of youngsters.  In my time as a Town fan (first game 1990) I can think of four players who have stepped up from the youth team to first team before the end of their first year professional contract - Gary Croft, Peter Handyside, John Oster and Ryan Bennett.  Only Oster was with us before he was 16 so the others possibly had greater development at their previous clubs.  Oster was a rarity in that he was the best player in the first team before he'd even finished his YTS.  The likes of Jack Lester, Daryl Clare, Danny North etc. all benefited from a couple of sustained development years before they were expected to compete with the experienced professionals.  In the case of Lester he never really looked capable of producing until he was in his early 20's.

The last two years aren't a great example as the squad has been massively bloated but at present we've someone like Karleigh Osbourne in the squad..  A 30-year-old experienced professional who has managed 9 league starts this season for us.   I'm sure he's a nice lad but what a waste.  What an absolute waste of the budget when we could have used that to give another year to two or three lads who were released without a chance last summer.  Would they have made it?  We'll never know but I would much rather have seen them get a chance than just chucking money down the drain on relatively expensive cover.

If the club is to change it's outlook then youth development has to be at the heart of it, key to that is giving the lads deemed worthy of a professional deal far more than year to adapt and impress.

I've lost count of the times in the last few summers we've heard the line about 18 professionals, supported by the young lads.  Yet every year we end up with 25+ professionals on the books, a handful of whom never make it into double figure appearances.  I hope this summer is the year we buck that trend.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
jimgtfc
April 12, 2018, 8:37am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,009
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from diehardmariner
I think, but happy to be corrected, he's a first year YT at the minute so he's got another year with the youth team.

Excellent points about filling out in a year at that age.  My personal belief is that there's far too little patience with young players in this country, especially at our level.   I completely understand the financial implications of keeping lads on for another year or so but I would hope that under this new philosophy that Jolley is bringing in we're far more pro-active with our young lads and their development.

At the minute we've the likes of Tom Sawyer and Jack Keeble who were given one-year professional contracts in the summer.  If they're to progress beyond that one-year deal realistically they're expected to make the transition with ease from youth team to full-time professional, make in-roads on the first team squad and/or impress to the point that they're deemed worthy of a deal as something other than cheap squad filler.  That's asking far too much for the vast majority of youngsters.  In my time as a Town fan (first game 1990) I can think of four players who have stepped up from the youth team to first team before the end of their first year professional contract - Gary Croft, Peter Handyside, John Oster and Ryan Bennett.  Only Oster was with us before he was 16 so the others possibly had greater development at their previous clubs.  Oster was a rarity in that he was the best player in the first team before he'd even finished his YTS.  The likes of Jack Lester, Daryl Clare, Danny North etc. all benefited from a couple of sustained development years before they were expected to compete with the experienced professionals.  In the case of Lester he never really looked capable of producing until he was in his early 20's.

The last two years aren't a great example as the squad has been massively bloated but at present we've someone like Karleigh Osbourne in the squad..  A 30-year-old experienced professional who has managed 9 league starts this season for us.   I'm sure he's a nice lad but what a waste.  What an absolute waste of the budget when we could have used that to give another year to two or three lads who were released without a chance last summer.  Would they have made it?  We'll never know but I would much rather have seen them get a chance than just chucking money down the drain on relatively expensive cover.

If the club is to change it's outlook then youth development has to be at the heart of it, key to that is giving the lads deemed worthy of a professional deal far more than year to adapt and impress.

I've lost count of the times in the last few summers we've heard the line about 18 professionals, supported by the young lads.  Yet every year we end up with 25+ professionals on the books, a handful of whom never make it into double figure appearances.  I hope this summer is the year we buck that trend.

Excellent post, completely agree.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
RichMariner
April 12, 2018, 9:18am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I agree too.

At the end of this season you could probably group three or four players under that bracket of not making double figures in appearances and wonder if that money was spent wisely.

Easy to say retrospectively but the way Slade was signing players left right and centre, permanents and loans, to replace players he hadn't even given a run in the team to, is probably a contributing factor to where we are right now.

Developing youth takes patience and in this world of instant gratification not many clubs have the foresight to do it properly.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
forza ivano
April 12, 2018, 9:48am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,136
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from RichMariner
I agree too.

At the end of this season you could probably group three or four players under that bracket of not making double figures in appearances and wonder if that money was spent wisely.

Easy to say retrospectively but the way Slade was signing players left right and centre, permanents and loans, to replace players he hadn't even given a run in the team to, is probably a contributing factor to where we are right now.

Developing youth takes patience and in this world of instant gratification not many clubs have the foresight to do it properly.

developing that point about loanees a little. 6 weeks ago we were stressing about the possibility of falling foul of the rules about the number of loanees we could play.
i wonder how much the loaness have cost us and what exactly they've achieved. wilkes and vernham injured and gone, keane(?) disappeared into the ether, sulaiman (remember him?), jackson injured plus matt and dj who are squad players at best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
SomeSanity
April 12, 2018, 9:57am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +855
Gold Stars: 1
My understanding is that the youth team is completely self funding. Is this still the case?

If so then the best to see see a fruitful academy is by participating in their fundraisers etc. and give these lads the best possible chance of breaking into the first team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 13
Tommy
April 12, 2018, 11:02am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Cloudy
I see a couple of the youth lads have been released already and one played for Gy Borough recently.

Hand on heart I think it may be a little longer before the revamped youth system starts to produce. This is another major reason why relegation MUST be avoided

Key point in bold here to consider, and remain patient.

We were only promoted to the FL in 2016, and with that begun receiving the EPPP Academy funding. So over last season and the current one, the Academy has been scaling up and adding staff (full-time and part-time) to make up the required structure and quality. So realistically, the current lads at the top end (u15s/u16s) have spent most of their time in the Academy when we were in the conference and it was running on pretty much a skeleton staff doing their best to do multiple jobs and keep it going to a good standard. That's not to say those now-older lads didn't receive good coaching, they will have done, but the structure and support/development network wasn't in place then as it is now. So only the current younger ones in the foundation phase (u9-u11) will end up going through the whole system while it's got the structure it now has.

A bit similar to the FA rolling out the "England DNA" stuff in 2014. Laughed at by many at the time, and used as a stick to beat the FA with in 2014 and 2016 after poor International tournament showings from the senior England team. But with the DNA only rolled out in 2014 it was never going to impact massively on the already-established England senior team at the time. Fast forward to 2017 and you see multiple age-group national teams being successful after having had 3 years building through the system and the England DNA (as well as their own Club academies of course).

Point is to not expect immediate results from something like this, although it may still produce some. The benefits should be more evident longer term. Which as Cloudy says above, is why it is absolutely vital that we do not slip back into non-league when we would lose funding and have to scale it all back again.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 13
Cloudy
April 12, 2018, 11:36am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
I too agree with DHM and is is an indication of the shortsightedness that has become the clubs trademark.

Paying a couple of young pro's £250 per week but unlikely to play in the 1st team is seen by the bean counters as poor value for money when paying an experienced pro £1,000 a week to sit on the bench is seen as value.

Yet again it is the knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing together with the lack of a long term plan or strategy

Private Message
Reply: 12 - 13
Mallyner
April 12, 2018, 1:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,509
Gold Stars: 22
Sad!y even during Hurst's  reign and before, fear of losing has been a more powerful driving force for the management, than taking some risks to win. Therefore it has followed that having experienced journeyman or elderly players in the team and on the bench, has been more important to them than blooding  quite talented youth. I have seen footage of the youths and some of them including young Buckley are talented and hopefully in the near future some will be given a chance.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Brandon Buckley / The Youth Team

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.