Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › The Michael Jolley Effect
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 311 Guests

The Michael Jolley Effect

This thread currently has 5,752 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
April 10, 2018, 8:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,652
Gold Stars: 217
My first impressions of MJ are that he has two things Salde did not have - Belief and desire, Salde said he had it but in reality he didn't and that had clearly got over to the players.

Bignot had belief and desire but not the brains and the humility that MJ has. Though they come across very differently I sense MJ has the hunger similar to Hurst but he can express that more positively. What we have yet to see is whether he has the paranoia of the 3 before him when things go wrong.

So he's polished for sure but is he a master tactician and coach? Far too early to tell but unlike 2 of the 3 mentioned above he will make a change before 70 minutes when things don't look great, decision making counts for a lot.

What I also sense is that he know's exactly how he wants to build the club going forward and both on and off the pitch so that works for me especially considering the position we are in.

Overall his first few games have told me is that players seem to want to play for him, if that's the case it good be some sunny days ahead. We must stay up though as clearly he is knowledgeable but does his knowledge and experience extend to the abyss of non league, who knows? I hope we never get to find out.

So great fist impressions, he clearly "gets it"!

UTM!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
Tommy
April 10, 2018, 8:55pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
I think there's been slightly different plans in different games, with us few different formations used, lots of different combinations of players and some tactical tweaks (including during the game).

But what's been key for me is that, unlike under Slade, the players now actually look like they know their jobs. In and out of possession they look like they know what/where they're supposed to be.

So the fact that there IS a game plan is an improvement on its own.  The units of the team seem to be working better together which suggests there's been good work done at Cheapside. That's the benefit of having a manager who's a Coach too - he can coach the team himself and get across clearly what he expects on the Saturday. As opposed to Slade who didn't do any of the coaching himself.

I think we've seen a bit more togetherness and team spirit in recent weeks as well so maybe he's helped in that respect (or the team building day he took them on had an effect).

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
heppy88
April 10, 2018, 9:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,069
Gold Stars: 40
Totally agree with both Herts and Tommy. I can’t help but feel Jolley is sincere and talks from the heart. He appears to have a definite game plan for each match and the players seem comfortable in their roles. If given longer with the current squad, I’m sure we would have seen a different more positive side to some of the players. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the players currently subject to criticism, are actually kept on next season. Sometimes all a mediocre player needs to flourish is a capable manager they respect and trust. I honestly believe a few performances over the remaining games will surprise a few of the doubters.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
forza ivano
April 10, 2018, 9:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,142
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from heppy88
Totally agree with both Herts and Tommy. I can’t help but feel Jolley is sincere and talks from the heart. He appears to have a definite game plan for each match and the players seem comfortable in their roles. If given longer with the current squad, I’m sure we would have seen a different more positive side to some of the players. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the players currently subject to criticism, are actually kept on next season. Sometimes all a mediocre player needs to flourish is a capable manager they respect and trust. I honestly believe a few performances over the remaining games will surprise a few of the doubters.

Is rose the most obvious example?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
tarka
April 11, 2018, 6:42am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +891
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from forza ivano

Without doubt! I have rarely seen Rose have the energy levels to compete for more than 60 odd minutes in a game, possibly due to his asthma.  He'll never be a world beater in terms of ability but on Saturday he covered every blade of grass and his throws were undeniably a weapon - what is astounding is that it has taken the best part of the season for this to be recognised!
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
Northbank Mariner
April 11, 2018, 9:28am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,388
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from forza ivano

Alongside Clarke, Woolford and Dembele...Definitely sorted Clarke out after dropping him(probably put him on crash diet), Woolford from somewhere has picked up a little bit of pace and Dembele is showing shoots of recovering his best form under Jolley..
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
easypeersy
April 11, 2018, 7:45pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
WTF did Slade do then if he didn’t do any coaching!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
RoboCod
April 11, 2018, 7:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from easypeersy

Maybe when he stated he was 'building something here' he just let Wilko take charge of training while he nipped into his office with a load of Lego.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
Tommy
April 11, 2018, 11:52pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from easypeersy

Not all manager's "Coach".

They'll obviously observe training and maybe talk to players at times, but Managers like Alex Ferguson and Harry Redknapp among others, are known to have not been active "Coaches" on the training ground - having a team around them who lead the sessions.

Probably a dying breed though, this type of Manager.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
forza ivano
April 12, 2018, 12:30am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,142
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from easypeersy

Dunno but apparently you could find out by asking the regulars in a louth bookies (allegedly)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › The Michael Jolley Effect

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.