4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
April 10, 2018, 1:54pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,159
Gold Stars: 265
i think you'd probably find there has been, is and will be, a complete sea change in the management and coaching of the first team squad and to an extent the youth team.
my guess is that it is attention to every detail and the sir david brailsford approach to coaching. that is to say ' to improve things 100%, you have to improve 100 things by 1%'
this would include the penalty competition and various other changes in the training regime, the tactical changes to each game to counter the opposition, provision of nutritional plans for each player, the discovery that mitch rose takes the best throw in, recruiting fox and mcsheffery etc etc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
ginnywings
April 10, 2018, 2:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,108
Gold Stars: 548
He's trebled our points tally to just under a point a game. We were at about 0.3 a game before he stepped in. As already pointed out, 2 late goals which have brought 4 points is a good sign of a team fighting to the end. I think his impact has been as much psychological as tactical.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
forza ivano
April 10, 2018, 2:52pm

Exile
Quoted from ginnywings
He's trebled our points tally to just under a point a game. We were at about 0.3 a game before he stepped in. As already pointed out, 2 late goals which have brought 4 points is a good sign of a team fighting to the end. I think his impact has been as much psychological as tactical.

and i think you'll probably find that's deliberate ginny. in terms of tactics, equipment, testing, training , warm ups etc etc the levels operated at nowadays are almost at optimum level. it's very difficult to find ways to make even marginal improvements in those areas.
now in the area of sports pyschology and the mind, i think its fair to say that the surface has only been scratched (which goes without saying really, when you consider that we don't fully understand how the brain works). so if there is a dramatic edge to be had its in the area of sports pyschology and 'training the brain'.

one aspect i've pondered since his arrival and nobody has considered is the intelligence of the players. jolley is obviously a very intelligent man and a thinking coach. i wonder how difficult it is for players to have to adapt to his new thinking and his way of changing things match to match and during games. along with the criteria he's already set out for new recruits i wonder if the players would need a certain level of intelligence so they can best work with him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
Mighty_Mariner
April 10, 2018, 3:01pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from TheGoalKipper
If Jolley had got the job instead of Slade we would not have been in this mess. Slade took us backwards. I'm sure there are loads of decent experienced managers with a proven track record who could have taken us forward this season. Its not as if We started the season with a team full of bad players so we obviously are pay competitive salaries. Its what Slade did with them that has killed us.

Jolley has done a good job as a manager, Whether he can recognise and recruite good players will define him.

Accrington Stanley are top of the league on allegedly one of the lowest budgets in L2. Yes they need someone to manage them properly but someone has done a good job in their recruitment side to put out a team that is capable of being up there.

Eddie Howe is touted as one of the best British managers around. His inability to recruit quality players in the Premiership since he got there is what lets him down. He has made some bad mistakes which have cost a lot of money

There was an interesting interview with Stanley management team Coleman and Bell this week and they said the do a lot of homework on potential players' character and mindset rather than ability and I think this is really important and a hugely underestimated part of player recruitment.

We've seen numerous tike before that players can have all the ability I'm the world but if they haven't got the heart and fight for it then their football ability is negated. Peter Sweeney and Dom Vose are great examples of this.

MJ clearly values the use of psychology and I honestly believe he will be identifying players with specific characters and personalities that go along with ability.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
forza ivano
April 10, 2018, 3:07pm

Exile
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

There was an interesting interview with Stanley management team Coleman and Bell this week and they said the do a lot of homework on potential players' character and mindset rather than ability and I think this is really important and a hugely underestimated part of player recruitment.

We've seen numerous tike before that players can have all the ability I'm the world but if they haven't got the heart and fight for it then their football ability is negated. Peter Sweeney and Dom Vose are great examples of this.

MJ clearly values the use of psychology and I honestly believe he will be identifying players with specific characters and personalities that go along with ability.

think you're spot on mighty. i also wouldn't be surprised if our set pieces were worked on alittle more diligently next season. interesting article in the times on saturday, which seems to be an update of this

https://statsbomb.com/2017/02/changing-how-the-world-thinks-about-set-pieces/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
Mighty_Mariner
April 10, 2018, 4:00pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Great read Forza thanks for sharing mate 👍

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
KingstonMariner
April 10, 2018, 6:02pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Surprising how little it's practised if that's correct. I thought it was just us.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
TheGoalKipper
April 10, 2018, 6:20pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Im sure we will see Rose using this throw a lot for the remaining time he is with us. That was a really long throw and will cause a problem for defences, Hopefully MJ will get them up to speed on winning the knock downs and get some goals from it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 10, 2018, 6:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Surprising how little it's practised if that's correct. I thought it was just us.

Noticed when going to Wembley a few times this year that Spurs take all ten back as well which surprised me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
ClarkyGTFC
April 10, 2018, 6:42pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +411
Gold Stars: 5
I think you can tell we have gradually improved under Micheal. Slowly some of the feel good factor seems to be coming back and some of the team spirit with it. Michaels reaction on Saturday shows he cares as did some of the players reactions.

I believe we will survive and we will see a better season under his tenure next year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Michael Jolley Effect

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.