2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
jamesgtfc
April 7, 2018, 10:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Mitch Rose offered more threat from his throws today than Mills/Clarke have all season.

How has it taken 41 games to discover this?
Logged Online
Private Message
Gaffer58
April 7, 2018, 10:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Mitch Rose offered more threat from his throws today than Mills/Clarke have all season.

How has it taken 41 games to discover this?

It hasn't, Jolley only had 4 games, a certain managerial legend couldn't sort it over the previous 37.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
Tommy
April 7, 2018, 10:54pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Thought the same myself today. Ha.

Has Rose had this longer and better "long throw" in his locker all season and not said anything while Mills and Clarke have been attempting their poor imitation?

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 18
denni266
April 7, 2018, 11:03pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +700
Gold Stars: 132
The only thing slade noticed was where the tuck shops were, and there is alwase someone ready to take your better players after you have let them rot away from the team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
Northbank Mariner
April 8, 2018, 8:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
If you listen to the post match interview with Michael Jolley you'll notice no one actually knew about Rose and his ability with the long throw.
I would suspect this came about because we have a manager who coaches and works with the players rather than a fat lad who leaves it to others while he sorted his power point presentations out!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 18
Swansea_Mariner
April 8, 2018, 10:17am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,431
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
If you listen to the post match interview with Michael Jolley you'll notice no one actually knew about Rose and his ability with the long throw.
I would suspect this came about because we have a manager who coaches and works with the players rather than a fat lad who leaves it to others while he sorted his power point presentations out!!!

This.

Also didn't Jolley say he spent time individually with every player in the team to talk about their personal season, attributes etc. It's amazing what a bit of dialogue can do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 18
diehardmariner
April 9, 2018, 8:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,428
Gold Stars: 532
Two ways of looking at this one.  

1) Why didn't Rose pipe up before that he has a decent throw-in?  Or did he pipe up and no-one took any notice?  He doesn't strike me as someone who's a shy retiring type.  It was interesting that Wilkinson took Clarke off the throw-ins but as soon as Jolley took over he was back on them.  Captain's influence?  

2) Did anyone actually know Rose had a throw-in like that until very recently, including him?  It's not often players from central midfield who will take any sort of throw unless they're trying to take a quick one.  It could be we just stumbled upon it by chance.

The important thing is that we've got someone who can actually make a decent fist of a long-throw rather than the attempts by Clarke which are neither good enough in terms of distance, angle or pace.  With Clarke not on them he's also free to use his best attribute (heading) in the opposition area.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 18
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
April 9, 2018, 8:23am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Its the best long throw ive seen in person, caused chesterfield alot of problems, and it might be a blessing that its taken this long to discover it because other teams might not be prepared to deal with it at this crucial stage of the season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 18
Mikey_345
April 9, 2018, 9:02am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,308
Gold Stars: 100
His throws are flatter and more driven and accurate. Making them more effective than mills/Clarke who have imo a more “loop” throw.

What I did notice thought at the weekend, which they should definitely work on, is most of our players in the box where attracted to the first ball leaving very few occasions someone was there for the second at the back post for example.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 18
Davec
April 9, 2018, 9:09am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from Mikey_345
His throws are flatter and more driven and accurate. Making them more effective than mills/Clarke who have imo a more “loop” throw.

What I did notice thought at the weekend, which they should definitely work on, is most of our players in the box where attracted to the first ball leaving very few occasions someone was there for the second at the back post for example.

Agree, I lost count at the amount of times all the players followed the first ball and when that wasn't won there was no Grimsby player challenging for the 2nd ball, it's like it all the time, even in open play, 2nd balls are very often uncontested.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
ginnywings
April 9, 2018, 10:15am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Mikey_345

Something we noticed too. The throws were a revelation and much better than our crosses. A couple of times, the ball dropped right in the centre of the goal and there was no-one there to capitalise. We commented that it was the reason our strikers never seem to score, because they are never in the right place at the right time. Hopefully we can get Jackson back, because he looks like he knows where to be.

How did we go all season without knowing he had this in him?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
forza ivano
April 9, 2018, 10:40am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,135
Gold Stars: 265
think jolley did mention post match that they would be looking at our players positioning in the opponents 18 yard area.

re 'discovering' rose's new skill, it does rather make you think that this is another example of slade's laziness/lackadaisical approach and jolley's determination to cover every angle and gain every possible advantage
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
MuddyWaters
April 9, 2018, 10:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
My immediate thought on Saturday was whythefuck had Clarke been taking them?

I sort of get Mills taking them from full back as it's easier to get back into position.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
Doubled
April 9, 2018, 11:00am
season ticket holder
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +43
One of their bigger players was off the pitch when the penalty was awarded, so the decision to take the long throw looks even better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
RoboCod
April 9, 2018, 11:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from MuddyWaters
My immediate thought on Saturday was whythefuck had Clarke been taking them?

I sort of get Mills taking them from full back as it's easier to get back into position.

Even then, Mills often had to run over the width of the pitch at  times while a Town player stood with the ball on the touchline, losing any momentum in our attack and then delivering an often average throw. Early season Dembele aside, this could be our first recognisable and incisive attacking asset.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
Maringer
April 9, 2018, 11:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Although you'd think the managers would have 'discovered' this ability, why the heck hasn't Rose mentioned it before now?

My guess is that he wanted to be in the box so he's got a chance of scoring!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
Madeleymariner
April 9, 2018, 1:13pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,049
Gold Stars: 49
I noticed that as well, at corners long throws freekicks etc our players bunch together and all end up in the same space, I was discussing it with son of on Saturday, wonder how many goals we would have scored if we had players spread around the area to pick up half clearances etc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
Mikey_345
April 9, 2018, 3:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,308
Gold Stars: 100
Never really understood why Clarke took them over Mills.

An attacking throw can very quickly turn into a counter attack and surely having one of your centre backs positioned at left/right wing having taken the throwing cannot be good surely.

Re second balls; I think it’s a show of how desperate we are in the final third to get a goal. They seem to be trying sort of too hard to create something. Sometimes not moving can be as good as moving into space in those situations. The ball has to drop somewhere.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
jamesgtfc
April 10, 2018, 7:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
I've never understood how we have been so poor at throw ins for as long as I can remember. Boston seem to remember Mills having an effective long throw but I don't recall one being particularly dangerous. Last week he was blowing when he had to keep sprinting to the left wing to take it so Rose taking them should make it easier for us to "keep us shape" defensively and also allow some extra height into the box from Clarke.

Jolley has tightened us up defensively so now we can start to look at offensive tweaks and get ourselves safe.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Long Throws

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.