3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Yoda
April 7, 2018, 6:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +4 / -20
Approval: -2,949
Gold Stars: 65
Would a league two referee have given that penalty.??
I think not.?
Logged Offline
Private Message
fleabag1970
April 7, 2018, 6:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
I thought he was superb . Got everything correct imo . Best ref I've seen at bp in years

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
RonMariner
April 7, 2018, 6:38pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,010
Gold Stars: 216
Been saying for a couple of weeks that we needed a lucky break, and it seems we finally got one today.

This result is huge. Not only in terms of where we sit tonight, but on the morale of the team going forward. Now we know we can win, especially at home.

Next week is almost, but not quite, like a playoff final for us. A win will mean that Barnet would have to win all of their remaining games to have a chance of catching us.

44 points with three games remaining would be a very strong position to be in. Chesterfield may not reach that number given that they have to fit in another 7 games, 4 of them away I believe.

But I don't think we should assume that we wont pick up a point from our last three matches. We can certainly get something from FGR and the home game against Notts County is by no means mission impossible. Chesterfield beat them comfortably a couple of  weeks ago.

So we are far from down. That penalty has made all the difference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
oldun
April 7, 2018, 6:39pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
He showed a calmness and authority throughout the games. Clearly had the respect of the players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
jimgtfc
April 7, 2018, 6:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,009
Gold Stars: 40
Fantastic referee, calm and authoritative. Was having a right laugh with Mitch Rose as the players were preparing to kick off the second half.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
TAGG
April 7, 2018, 6:42pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Best ref I've seen for years at BP

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
headingly_mariner
April 7, 2018, 7:12pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
He was very good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 7, 2018, 7:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from headingly_mariner
He was very good.

Not an opinion shared by Jack Lester!

[url]https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chesterfield-boss-jack-lester-fuming-1431030[/url]

Ironic isn't it, I wonder how many penalties Jack managed to con with his diving during his career?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
lee65
April 7, 2018, 8:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,450
Gold Stars: 9
Just seen the highlights, you might get that penalty given 5/10 times by a DECENT referee, but Chesterfield really shouldn’t complain as the guy leans in to the path of the ball and it does hit his arm, his movement is deliberate
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
Perkins
April 7, 2018, 8:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,964
Gold Stars: 7
It was a nice change to have a decent ref who let the game flow and  didn't blow for every bit of physical contact, that's why he's a Premier Leage ref. We've seen too many refs here that seem to think we've paid to see him and hear his whistle over the last few years.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
HertsGTFC
April 7, 2018, 8:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,636
Gold Stars: 217
Just shows the gulf between the highest level and the muppets we get week in week out.

Thought he was the same for both sides, consistent and let the game flow without too many whistles also I think he got that it was a 4th division game and reffed it accordingly.

Not sure about the 6 minutes injury time but I guess it added to the drama and noise.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
Hameln Mariner
April 7, 2018, 8:46pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +134
I've got to be honest and thought that the penalty call was soft at the time (as much as I was grateful for it!) but having seen it on the highlights it was a very good call by a very good Ref. Shame that we'll be back to the normal (abysmal) standard next week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
KingstonMariner
April 7, 2018, 10:51pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
If it didn't hit his arm (I think it did) it wasn't for want of trying. Nice to see cheating not prosper.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
bawarmy
April 7, 2018, 11:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,821
Gold Stars: 27

Not an opinion shared by Jack Lester!

[url]https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chesterfield-boss-jack-lester-fuming-1431030[/url]

Ironic isn't it, I wonder how many penalties Jack managed to con with his diving during his career?

Sorry to say it as he was a fair player for us but I don’t like Jack Lester
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
April 7, 2018, 11:44pm
Guest User
I'm old enough to see Jack Lester come through as a kid at BP. Never a natural goalscorer in my opinion at the time, never really became one, was a snake as a player, loved him when he partnered Clive, but he's a cheat as a manager, was a cheat as a player and balderdash to him. UTM.
Reply: 14 - 23
HertsGTFC
April 8, 2018, 12:02am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 75
I'm old enough to see Jack Lester come through as a kid at BP. Never a natural goalscorer in my opinion at the time, never really became one, was a snake as a player, loved him when he partnered Clive, but he's a cheat as a manager, was a cheat as a player and balderdash to him. UTM.

Bit harsh why is he a cheat as a manager, can’t remember him playing too many games with Super Clive or ones that made an impact on the memory banks🤔

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
malkamalka
April 8, 2018, 11:18am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
Interesting that we got a Premier League "Elite" referee. Maybe the powers that be at the FA and EFL are with us - for some reason, they don't want us to go back down. Yes, Mr Madeley was very good, and most of his decisions were spot on, but a lot of those decisions were ones he doesn't make in the PL.

I could make similar observations about the referee in the Cardiff v Wolves game on Friday. Either Mike Dean was under orders to help Cardiff not to lose, or he is totally both unfit and incompetent.

Finally have a look at the performance of Atkinson in the Mancs derby - he obviously had instructions at half time, because in the 2nd period he gave United everything and City nothing.

Lets hope we can have Bobby again next week though  

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
HertsGTFC
April 8, 2018, 11:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from malkamalka
Interesting that we got a Premier League "Elite" referee. Maybe the powers that be at the FA and EFL are with us - for some reason, they don't want us to go back down. Yes, Mr Madeley was very good, and most of his decisions were spot on, but a lot of those decisions were ones he doesn't make in the PL.

I could make similar observations about the referee in the Cardiff v Wolves game on Friday. Either Mike Dean was under orders to help Cardiff not to lose, or he is totally both unfit and incompetent.

Finally have a look at the performance of Atkinson in the Mancs derby - he obviously had instructions at half time, because in the 2nd period he gave United everything and City nothing.

Lets hope we can have Bobby again next week though  

If you think that refs act under instructions to favor one team ahead of another you need to give your head a wobble. I do reckon though that some can be influenced though usually by players, coaches and managers chatting in their ears from as soon as they arrive.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
Davec
April 9, 2018, 9:39am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
What's the chances of us having a premiership referee on Saturday against Barnet? Maybe not premiership again but probably a top end EFL ref? Still a relegation 6 pointer so a strong ref is needed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
Les Brechin
April 9, 2018, 10:30am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from Davec
What's the chances of us having a premiership referee on Saturday against Barnet? Maybe not premiership again but probably a top end EFL ref? Still a relegation 6 pointer so a strong ref is needed.

We'll get Ross Joyce.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
Posh Harry
April 9, 2018, 11:16am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Les Brechin

We'll get Ross Joyce.  

That really would be ying and yang 😳
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 23
ginnywings
April 9, 2018, 11:36am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Hasn't he been ok the last couple of times we've had him, despite our trepidation?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 23
Grantham_Mariner
April 9, 2018, 5:21pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,152
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from ginnywings
Hasn't he been ok the last couple of times we've had him, despite our trepidation?

Saturday was the first time he has refereed us. There is another Madley (Andrew) who we had 3 time in non-league.

Ross Joyce is still getting a few bad reports. Lets face it he could not get any worse.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 23
Davec
April 9, 2018, 8:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Darren Bond is the referee on Saturday, he's officiated 26 championship games this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Great Ref Today

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.