Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › 2009/10 and this team.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 178 Guests

2009/10 and this team.

This thread currently has 1,359 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
fiveallive
April 3, 2018, 3:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
I have been looking at the squad of the 2009/10 team that got relegated and there are similarities between both squads that's quite worrying both squads had a alarming amount of trialists in pre season both went down to devon for pre season. Both teams had alot of young loan players 2009/10 was Chambers, Fletcher, Devitt, Cowan-Hall, Featherstone, Oxley, McCrory, Magennis, Coulson and Lancashire amongst others. We also signed players like Peacock and Hudson both players Hudson was similar to Summerfield for effort and Peacock was simlar in age to Mcsheffrey / Woolford, Heywood similar to Nathan Clarke. Stockdale age and injuries similar to Davies / Dixon.

In 2009/10 we had players like Sweeney, Forbes, Proudlock who didn't care fans say Rose and Hooper don't care. Town also gave Akpa - Akpro his first break in the Football League and we have done the same with Dembele.

The alarming rate of not winning a match is equal to both sets of players.

This season has air of deja vu about it i hope i'm wrong because i fear for this club if we go down, Fenty not learning from his mistakes AGAIN.
I worry if we go down Fenty might leave the club (which some fans want) and we could go into adminstration get a big points deduction and get relegated to National League North.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Cloudy
April 3, 2018, 3:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from fiveallive
I
This season has air of deja vu about it i hope i'm wrong because i fear for this club if we go down, Fenty not learning from his mistakes AGAIN.
I worry if we go down Fenty might leave the club (which some fans want) and we could go into adminstration get a big points deduction and get relegated to National League North.

Not sure you have grasped what administration is and who could put us into administration!
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 9
fiveallive
April 3, 2018, 3:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
Surely if we go down and Fenty leaves and calls in his loans, how could we afford to pay him back which could lead to adminstration that's what i'm saying.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 9
HertsGTFC
April 3, 2018, 3:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from fiveallive
Surely if we go down and Fenty leaves and calls in his loans, how could we afford to pay him back which could lead to adminstration that's what i'm saying.

The money isn’t there to pay him back even if we went into administration. The only real fixed asset of any significant value  is the land BP sits on and as it as far as I know has no outlying planning permission it will only be worth a proportion of the £2 million.

Fenty won’t take us into administration by walking away as he’d never be able to leave his snooker room without being reminded of it and it would potentially impact on getting re-elected to the council.

If we went into administration we could cease to exist and start right at the bottom like Hereford Utd.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 9
diehardmariner
April 3, 2018, 4:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,091
Gold Stars: 520
The comparisons are frightening, even down to the talented young striker signing on loan only to have his spell curtailed by injured (Paris Cowan-Hall & Charles Vernam).

By this time in 2010 I think we had started to fight and had some spark in the team.  Devitt and Coulson were constant threats out wide and whilst rarely getting anywhere, Akpa-Akpro was a nuisance.  Even Peter Bore was a threat bombing on from right-back.

What have we got this season to inspire us?  Gary McSheffrey and his urine-poor supposed expert set-pieces.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 9
Cloudy
April 3, 2018, 4:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from fiveallive

The only person who can,  in theory, put the club into administration is Fenty yet the only person who would lose out in doing so would be Fenty himself.

We dont have any significant other debt, the only debt is to Fenty himself. If he is happy to put the club to the wall and receive say £200k then we will be left to create a phoenix set up!

The main reason why this will not happen is that Fenty has entered into a legally binding agreement that the club can only repay the directors loans when they can afford to do so. That isn't going to happen any time soon and why he waits for 'football fortune'. I suspect it is the reason why Chapman hangs around. He would like his 2' 6d back but the club can't afford to do so
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 9
grimsby pete
April 3, 2018, 4:24pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Fenty has said on numerous occasions he will never put the club he loves into any financial harm,

So he either walks away and forgets about his loans or we are stuck with him,

All the people saying they will not go or buy a season ticket next season will not drive Fenty out,

Because in his eyes he is always right and the fans are always wrong,

So that means Jolley will have less money to bring in decent players of his own,

I am trying to think of a different way to make Fenty walk,

The only thing that might work is if enough people just keep protesting about him and in the long term he might get fed up and leave,

He does not like to be criticised and his silence over the last month or so shows the criticism is getting to him.

So just keep up the pressure and I think he will crack in the end.

Lets hope so.

PS, just to confirm putting less money into the club will not make Fenty put any more in he will just reduce the managers budget.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 9
HertsGTFC
April 3, 2018, 4:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from Cloudy

The only person who can,  in theory, put the club into administration is Fenty yet the only person who would lose out in doing so would be Fenty himself.

We dont have any significant other debt, the only debt is to Fenty himself. If he is happy to put the club to the wall and receive say £200k then we will be left to create a phoenix set up!

The main reason why this will not happen is that Fenty has entered into a legally binding agreement that the club can only repay the directors loans when they can afford to do so. That isn't going to happen any time soon and why he waits for 'football fortune'. I suspect it is the reason why Chapman hangs around. He would like his 2' 6d back but the club can't afford to do so

Exactly this!

And the last time Chapman “invested” any money he paid in white fivers.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 9
kamakazebear
April 3, 2018, 7:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +457
The 2009/10 relegation team at least started to put a fight up towards the end of the season, that 2-0 victory against Barnet showed that they could at least grind out a win when it absolutely mattered. Granted we collapsed at Burton but still. I think if we'd have had an actually inspiring manager, we could have turned it around with that team and stayed up but as it was, the 25 or 26 games we went absolutely killed us.

Whereas this team has absolutely nothing to write home about. I've been optimistic all season but now, I can't see where a win is going to come from.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 9
Abdul19
April 3, 2018, 10:07pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
The man who would've kept that team up is the man who'll relegate this one. Funny old game, eh?  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › 2009/10 and this team.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.