Settled side for the remaining games

This thread currently has 2,727 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
MacDaddy9214
April 2, 2018, 7:12pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +6
The results may not be going our way but I believe our performances are a damn sight better than what they were before Jolley got the job.

He has continued to tinker with his side making lots of changes in order to find the players prepared to fight and the right system to stay up.
It's clear to see that he was left a shambolic and completely unbalanced squad filled with players lacking the quality needed of them.

Now is the time for Jolley to select his best XI from Saturday through to the end of the season with little to no rotation.
In my opinion there's 8 players you can select pretty easily on the basis of the 5 games since the new manager.
Macca, Mills, RHJ, Collins, Fox, Summerfield, Clifton, McAllister.
Arguably Woolford in the games he's played has looked a lot better under Jolley than he did under the previous regime.

I believe our best team and therefore our best chance of staying up is.
                       Macca
RHJ    Mills. Collins.   Fox  
Summerfield McAllister Clifton
                      Woolford

And then it gets to the the strikers not one of them have shown the quality needed for the conference never mind the ability to fire us to safety. My conclusion from this is why not try something different why not play DJ and Dembele as strikers both offer pace and flair on the ball but neither are players who really track back. So why not have them up front running the channels and giving opposition defences something to actually defend against rather than the big target man approach that hasn't worked.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Limerick Mariner
April 2, 2018, 8:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,664
Gold Stars: 136
From my limited viewing I agree with your 8. For strikers I would say Matt. He may have the finishing finesse of a pub footballer  but like my pub football manager used to say - I pick you because of your nuisance value lots of running and physicality. We then need someone to feed off the scraps - I don’t know who that is - DJ McSheffrey Wilks? And then add Dembele wide.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
MuddyWaters
April 2, 2018, 8:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from MacDaddy9214
The results may not be going our way but I believe our performances are a damn sight better than what they were before Jolley got the job.

He has continued to tinker with his side making lots of changes in order to find the players prepared to fight and the right system to stay up.
It's clear to see that he was left a shambolic and completely unbalanced squad filled with players lacking the quality needed of them.

Now is the time for Jolley to select his best XI from Saturday through to the end of the season with little to no rotation.
In my opinion there's 8 players you can select pretty easily on the basis of the 5 games since the new manager.
Macca, Mills, RHJ, Collins, Fox, Summerfield, Clifton, McAllister.
Arguably Woolford in the games he's played has looked a lot better under Jolley than he did under the previous regime.

I believe our best team and therefore our best chance of staying up is.
                       Macca
RHJ    Mills. Collins.   Fox  
Summerfield McAllister Clifton
                      Woolford

And then it gets to the the strikers not one of them have shown the quality needed for the conference never mind the ability to fire us to safety. My conclusion from this is why not try something different why not play DJ and Dembele as strikers both offer pace and flair on the ball but neither are players who really track back. So why not have them up front running the channels and giving opposition defences something to actually defend against rather than the big target man approach that hasn't worked.

If we're only going to start with 9 men then we're fooked!
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
MacDaddy9214
April 2, 2018, 8:42pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +6
Quoted from MuddyWaters

If we're only going to start with 9 men then we're fooked!

That's why I went on to talk about DJ and Dembele playing up front....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
sydney
April 2, 2018, 8:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Agree
And Matt up front with one other player,  DJ? as Dembele been off the pace lately
Tell Matt to throw himself on the floor all the time like all the other cheating f@@@@@s do and we will get more set piece opportunities.
MJ needs to read this and understand this and needs to do twice (win) in the last few games what we haven’t achieved once in the last twenty
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
HertsGTFC
April 2, 2018, 9:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from MacDaddy9214

That's why I went on to talk about DJ and Dembele playing up front....

Dembele played up front at a home game recently (can’t remember who against) and he was clueless.

MJ has pretty much seen everybody now in a couple of formations so I would expect some stability now, bit early to tell but I sense he could be a bit of a tinker man

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
Limerick Mariner
April 2, 2018, 11:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,664
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Dembele played up front at a home game recently (can’t remember who against) and he was clueless.

MJ has pretty much seen everybody now in a couple of formations so I would expect some stability now, bit early to tell but I sense he could be a bit of a tinker man

He has to play wide - as to close to the touchline as he can get, and he needs the ball on the deck to feet - basic stuff really - stretch the play to create space. He did rather well, backed by 2.6k travelling fans, against some team or other, it was so long ago...was thinking about Scunny next season and not Salford...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
ginnywings
April 3, 2018, 12:03am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Managers rarely play settled sides nowadays. They play whichever 11 they think is best to beat  the opponent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
diehardmariner
April 3, 2018, 2:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,428
Gold Stars: 532
I would be quite happy to never see Matt in a Town shirt ever again.  

He should be physically dominating teams but gets bullied by guys half his side.  On the few occasions he has started to use his physical attributes he stops as soon as a decision goes against him.

The last decent front pairing I saw was DJ and Cardwell and that was in the Craig Disley benefit game!  It at least had movement and something no other strike pairing I've seen this season had, an understanding.  

If you play Matt or Vernon we go long despite the fact neither are any good at heading it.  So it goes over their head and they've the turning circle of a ship before chasing down loose balls.  Hooper looks like he could be decent picking up the scraps as he's got a slight bit of pace, some skill and a little bit of strength.  Unfortunately he, like Matt, seems terrified of using any attribute.  Both Matt and Hooper also appear to have received no coaching on how to play in a pairing.  They're either on the toes of their partner or 50 yards apart.  

Wilks is the one with the pace that could unlock teams but he doesn't read the game at all and spends most of his time running down blind alleys.  From wide he can be a threat, but down the middle I don't think he offers much.

The cut and thrust is that our striking options are more or less non existent.  I think we're better off just packing the front four with as much energy, pace and enthusiasm as we can - hoping something comes off.  On that basis it can only be Clifton, Wilks, DJ and Cardwell for me.  If one of them is injured, maybe someone from the stand fancies a game.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
arryarryarry
April 3, 2018, 3:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from diehardmariner
I would be quite happy to never see Matt in a Town shirt ever again.  

He should be physically dominating teams but gets bullied by guys half his side.  On the few occasions he has started to use his physical attributes he stops as soon as a decision goes against him.

The last decent front pairing I saw was DJ and Cardwell and that was in the Craig Disley benefit game!  It at least had movement and something no other strike pairing I've seen this season had, an understanding.  

If you play Matt or Vernon we go long despite the fact neither are any good at heading it.  So it goes over their head and they've the turning circle of a ship before chasing down loose balls.  Hooper looks like he could be decent picking up the scraps as he's got a slight bit of pace, some skill and a little bit of strength.  Unfortunately he, like Matt, seems terrified of using any attribute.  Both Matt and Hooper also appear to have received no coaching on how to play in a pairing.  They're either on the toes of their partner or 50 yards apart.  

Wilks is the one with the pace that could unlock teams but he doesn't read the game at all and spends most of his time running down blind alleys.  From wide he can be a threat, but down the middle I don't think he offers much.

The cut and thrust is that our striking options are more or less non existent.  I think we're better off just packing the front four with as much energy, pace and enthusiasm as we can - hoping something comes off.  On that basis it can only be Clifton, Wilks, DJ and Cardwell for me.  If one of them is injured, maybe someone from the stand fancies a game.

Can't disagree with any of that, I would much rather see Cardwell start then either Matt or Hooper.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Settled side for the remaining games

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.