3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
April 2, 2018, 7:10pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
From a much improved and promising performance, just 2-3 months too late ( thanks fenty) .Wycombe are a decent side massive attacking threat with the unplayable akinfemwa pace and trickery down the side ,competent midfield and 2 tough centre halves who knew every trick in the book. I'd hate to see the possession stats as they looked threatening every time they went forward and tbh on another day they could've had 5 or 6. .we did well to hold the lead for as long as we did and at least we didn't cave in having conceded 2 quick goals.rose who was my motm fluffed a great chance to equalise after 80 but I always felt that Wycombe would've just upped it again and found a way through. McKeown made domed great saves and the defence was valiant to a man throwing themselves into challenges and block.in midfield rose n summer field were everywhere but the problem is that they and the rest of the team just  don't have the quality to create things. Vernon is the same whilst Matt n hooper never looked like they thought they could win a header or create a chance. Woolford took his goal well but was anonymous as was berrett,who was up to his usual standard. We couldn't really have done anything more but the sad fact is that our best just isn't good enough.even mcsheffery when he came on managed to stand on the ball and fail to beat the first man with his corners and he's supposed to be our one bit of quality.
And the other depressing thought is that most of these players will be gone and don't look good enough even for the conference.
Let's just hope chesterfield have a bad day and that we can put in a similar level of performance. In which case we might have a chance
Finally special thanks to the myopic ref who might as well have donned a blue shirt and tried to Head one in for them.they were far too clever with their pushing n pulling and we were too amateurish in our shoves and nudges
Logged Online
Private Message
HertsGTFC
April 2, 2018, 7:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,646
Gold Stars: 217
Overall a better performance and a well taken goal from open play! Lets not forget Wycombe are 3rd for a reason and that reason is that they are well organised and play to their strengths, all that said we deserved a point today despite the ref doing his best to deny us.

First half not sure of we where the better team but the lead was well deserved with the players showing real grit and determination as well as actually trying to play some football. When we came out for the 2nd half we failed to win and retain possession enough to build on the lead, you could sense that their first was coming but the 2nd I'm not sure they deserved. We did have enough possession in the right areas to force and equaliser. Rose  came  frustratingly close and if Matt had squared to McSheffery things might have been different..

So overall we didn't look like a relegation side and if we had seen today's effort and application 6 weeks ago we would bot be where we are. MJ won't turn this around but given time he will improve us.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 28
Grimal
April 2, 2018, 7:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +2,850
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from forza ivano
From a much improved and promising performance, just 2-3 months too late ( thanks fenty) .Wycombe are a decent side massive attacking threat with the unplayable akinfemwa pace and trickery down the side ,competent midfield and 2 tough centre halves who knew every trick in the book. I'd hate to see the possession stats as they looked threatening every time they went forward and tbh on another day they could've had 5 or 6. .we did well to hold the lead for as long as we did and at least we didn't cave in having conceded 2 quick goals.rose who was my motm fluffed a great chance to equalise after 80 but I always felt that Wycombe would've just upped it again and found a way through. McKeown made domed great saves and the defence was valiant to a man throwing themselves into challenges and block.in midfield rose n summer field were everywhere but the problem is that they and the rest of the team just  don't have the quality to create things. Vernon is the same whilst Matt n hooper never looked like they thought they could win a header or create a chance. Woolford took his goal well but was anonymous as was berrett,who was up to his usual standard. We couldn't really have done anything more but the sad fact is that our best just isn't good enough.even mcsheffery when he came on managed to stand on the ball and fail to beat the first man with his corners and he's supposed to be our one bit of quality.
And the other depressing thought is that most of these players will be gone and don't look good enough even for the conference.
Let's just hope chesterfield have a bad day and that we can put in a similar level of performance. In which case we might have a chance
Finally special thanks to the myopic ref who might as well have donned a blue shirt and tried to Head one in for them.they were far too clever with their pushing n pulling and we were too amateurish in our shoves and nudges

The bit highlighted doesn't sound too depressing to me Forza .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 28
LondonMariner43
April 2, 2018, 7:17pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,891
Gold Stars: 64
The way I see it, we played a top side and didn’t get hammered.  To stay up, we need to win against Chesterfield, Barnet and Forest Green.  If Jolley can keep giving the team belief it’s still possible to stay up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 28
sapper mariner
April 2, 2018, 7:18pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +486
Gold Stars: 7
[url]http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/league-two/11314499/wycombe-2-1-grimsby[/url]

Ubique
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 28
Cloudy
April 2, 2018, 7:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Thanks guys. Great to read some balanced reports from people who actually went to the game rather than "supporters" calling for certain players to be sacked because they nearly scored!

We all know the mess we are in, that it is going to be a struggle but equally we don't need the manic depressive trolls
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 28
jonnyboy82
April 2, 2018, 7:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
Yet we lost again and this week its the refs fault.

Great stuff though.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 28
forza ivano
April 2, 2018, 7:36pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Yet we lost again and this week its the refs fault.

Great stuff though.

Sorry johnny but I said several times that we just aren't good enough and don't have enough quality which is the main reason we will be relegated. A useless one sided ref hardly helped the situation though
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 28
jonnyboy82
April 2, 2018, 7:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
Fair enough forza , my bad i dont mean to be picking Just very angry right now with this current situation.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 28
buckstown
April 2, 2018, 7:50pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,121
Gold Stars: 77
Well that was my first game in a while and I went in hope rather than expectation. Have to say it was better than I expected and most importantly the players gave everything and very clearly care, the problem is we're just not good enough, particularly in midfield.
Wycombe are one dimensional, get it to Akinfenwa who either wins the header and Wycombe win the second ball, or chest it down and lay it off. The balls in to him were delivered with laser guided accuracy and he does exactly what it says on the tin, highly effectively. We had Vernon and latterly Matt who both work hard but win little or nothing
Rose was not good, jumping out of tackles and finally missing a sitter near the end. Summerfield worked very hard and was encouraging the others throughout but he was alone in midfield. Woolford won a number of balls in the air which surprised me but offered little else.
My biggest fear was that we would be hopeless and I would leave thinking Jolley is a big mistake. Instead I left thinking he's getting almost the maximum out of a bunch of dogs. I do think he needs to pick his best eleven and play them for the remaining games to maximise our chance of survival.
Credit to Gareth Ainsworth who has performed miracles at Wycombe on a pitiful budget. He also applauded the town fans at the end which was a nice touch
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 28
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.