sam gy
April 2, 2018, 6:48pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,475
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from arryarryarry
He clearly doesn't go down the settled team route and appears a bit Sladesc in picking teams depending on who we are playing.

We should stop worrying about who we are playing, I don't remember Alan Buckley pissing about with different team selections.

But Buckley had 11 flipping great players to choose from. Right now we don’t really have any.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
forza ivano
April 2, 2018, 7:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,148
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from headingly_mariner

He’s got them marking half man half zonal. Lost count of the amount of times the ball went to a player completely unmarked in our box today. We’ve got worse at defending set peices.

2nd half he completely didn’t respond. We sat back and they piled on the pressure, he needed to make changes so we could keep the ball. The changes he made did not help us.

And exactly what changes should they have been headingly? He put on probably our most creative player after ten minutes and he was pretty awful.I'd love to know what else he could've done
PS I don't know if you noticed but we sat back from the first minute and the pressure started being applied from the kick off.perhaps you should have a look at the extended highlights and see how many chances they had in the first half. We did hold the lead for over 45 minutes which was a pretty heroic effort
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
HertsGTFC
April 2, 2018, 7:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from forza ivano

And exactly what changes should they have been headingly? He put on probably our most creative player after ten minutes and he was pretty awful.I'd love to know what else he could've done
PS I don't know if you noticed but we sat back from the first minute and the pressure started being applied from the kick off.perhaps you should have a look at the extended highlights and see how many chances they had in the first half. We did hold the lead for over 45 minutes which was a pretty heroic effort

I thought we failed to win the ball in the mid field so ideally would have liked to have had McAlister on the bench to replace Berret. Not sure why he pulled off RHJ who was playing well and maybe putting on Dembelle would have given them more to think about. But that's my opinion and regardless the manager made what where positive changes.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 2, 2018, 7:57pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from sam gy

But Buckley had 11 flipping great players to choose from. Right now we don’t really have any.

No he didn’t. AB was a team builder. By and large he brought unknowns and unrated to BP and made a team with them. His mantra was to let the opposition do the worrying. The best sides do that. But this was in the days when players were staying at a club for 3/4/5 seasons, not loans for a few months.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
sam gy
April 2, 2018, 8:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,475
Gold Stars: 55

No he didn’t. AB was a team builder. By and large he brought unknowns and unrated to BP and made a team with them. His mantra was to let the opposition do the worrying. The best sides do that. But this was in the days when players were staying at a club for 3/4/5 seasons, not loans for a few months.

He knew how to pick a player, that’s for sure. I don’t see how picking the same 11 every week with our current squad is a viable option though. No one is reallly undroppable apart from Macca. And quite clearly, against a team like Wycombe you need to change your team accordingly. They are a very different threat to Stevenage.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hopeless from top to bottom

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.