5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
malkamalka
April 1, 2018, 11:10am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
Thinking onto next season, and referring to something somebody said on a previous thread which was:

"that's what you get when you have 9 strikers on £800 a week instead of 3 on £2,000"

If we were to go down that route, who do people think we should be approaching?

I'll chuck a name in for starters:

Gabby Agbonlahor - who will be a FREE AGENT in the summer.

Comments/Suggestions

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
A.l.f.
April 1, 2018, 11:15am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
No chance of him coming here i'd have thought.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 47
April 1, 2018, 11:22am
Guest User
It was me who mentioned the 800 quid thing. Anyway he wouldn't come here, and he's a waster anyway. At his boyhood club he's been stealing a living for years. Always starts the season well then gets on the pies and hardly nets after October.

I would definitely prefer a 20/22 man squad next season, easier said than done to be fair as some players don't work out and replacements need adding. That said, our recruitment this season speaks for itself. We need to recruit earlier, we've paid the price for shopping in the bargain bucket when all the good players have been signed up. That's what John Fenty does for you, 90th of 92 and I'd say we are likely to finish 91st due to his policy. Fenty out.
Reply: 2 - 47
forza ivano
April 1, 2018, 11:24am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,134
Gold Stars: 265
Players will have to live within 1 hour of by.does that mean dannY Collins won't be here next year?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 47
mariner91
April 1, 2018, 11:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,245
Gold Stars: 253
A few things that should be changed about our recruitment that would make a huge difference:
1) Smaller squad
2) Younger, hungrier players. The type of players striving to make a living in football, not those on their way down.
3) More physicality. Our squad is so weak and slow which is half our problem. Get some raw pace in the side and at least a couple of players who are more than happy to roughen things up a bit.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 47
Roast Em Bobby
April 1, 2018, 11:30am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,706
Gold Stars: 43
Gabby Agbonlahor is probably earning (stealing) 50K plus a week at Villa - nobody earning that level of money is going to drop to 2K a week. Not that I'd want him anyway, think people need to be a bit more realistic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 47
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 1, 2018, 11:40am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from 75
It was me who mentioned the 800 quid thing. Anyway he wouldn't come here, and he's a waster anyway. At his boyhood club he's been stealing a living for years. Always starts the season well then gets on the pies and hardly nets after October.

I would definitely prefer a 20/22 man squad next season, easier said than done to be fair as some players don't work out and replacements need adding. That said, our recruitment this season speaks for itself. We need to recruit earlier, we've paid the price for shopping in the bargain bucket when all the good players have been signed up. That's what John Fenty does for you, 90th of 92 and I'd say we are likely to finish 91st due to his policy. Fenty out.

That is spot on Vic. I have lost count of the number of posts I made over past seasons, going back to Woods' time, on the same issue. It may be expensive to get quality but you need at least 4/5/6 quality players in your Xl every week to do any good. Otherwise you rely on luck or on percentage play, in the hope that eventually you will grind your way up. For all his faults as manager, and I did criticise him virtually weekly, Neil Woods knew that and did try to get quality. He just did not have the knowledge of the market to go for the right ones and we ended up with more dross.

You can only go so far by developing the Cliftons and the Keebles and you can only go so far by organisation, sports science, motivation and psychology. The key factor is always going to be about adding ability to the squad and football ability costs money in fees and/or wages.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 47
Roast Em Bobby
April 1, 2018, 11:42am
Fine Wine Drinker
I'm hoping if we do manage to stay up that MJ will bring in a mixture of players he knows from the U23 circuit who haven't quite made the grade at premier/championship level, some players he knows from the swedish leagues, some up and coming non-league prospects and a few experienced "good-pros" from league one/two, plus Harry Clifton and Max Wright..

If we do go down then I'd be worried that MJ wouldn't be able to attract players from a higher level and probably doesn't know a great deal about non-league players. If this does happen then getting in a new assistant with experience of that league would be a smart move imho.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 47
RonMariner
April 1, 2018, 11:59am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,005
Gold Stars: 216
This time next week we will have a better indication of whether survival is a realistic possibility but whichever league we are in next season, we need a total rebuild.

I would keep Macca, Fox, and Mills, and maybe Clifton and Dembele in the squad for their potential, but that's about it.

We need younger players with pace and skill in all areas, Perhaps one older head in midfield, but only if surrounded by several players of significantly higher quality than anything in the current squad.

Most of all we need strikers who can at least hit the target occasionally.

This can't be done on the cheap. So Fenty will need to splash some cash or walk away so that someone else will.  

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 47
ginnywings
April 1, 2018, 12:08pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
The only new approach that will work for many is a complete change of leadership and direction.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 47
devs
April 1, 2018, 12:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,960
Gold Stars: 30
RonMariner is not far off with my views on who to keep
I'd add RHJ to that list
Collins, Clarke and Davies will be gone and those under contract he doesn't want will be offered out or be paid up IMO

I think Jolley will go for hungrier, younger players - including non league - and he has a good knowledge of U23s having been boss of Burnley U23s

Next season's squad will bear no resemblance to this year's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 47
April 1, 2018, 12:26pm
Guest User
Quoted from forza ivano
Players will have to live within 1 hour of by.does that mean dannY Collins won't be here next year?

Let's hope not, he looks good on the ball but off the ball he's declining. He's nearly 38 I think.
Reply: 11 - 47
April 1, 2018, 12:30pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings
The only new approach that will work for many is a complete change of leadership and direction.

I'll accept no less. He's had 14 years, I've had enough and I want him out. I will not go next season if he is involved in any way as it's a waste of time.
Reply: 12 - 47
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 1, 2018, 12:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from 75

I'll accept no less. He's had 14 years, I've had enough and I want him out. I will not go next season if he is involved in any way as it's a waste of time.

I ask this just out of curiosity though - would you rather the club had Fenty who has money but spends it on the wrong things or someone else who has no money at all to spend on players?

I’m not saying I disagree at all about Fenty and his 14 years of crap but money matters especially to get decent players to come to the back of beyond. The words ‘rock’ and ‘hard place’ spring to mind.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 47
dapperz fun pub
April 1, 2018, 12:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81

I ask this just out of curiosity though - would you rather the club had Fenty who has money but spends it on the wrong things or someone else who has no money at all to spend on players?

I’m not saying I disagree at all about Fenty and his 14 years of crap but money matters especially to get decent players to come to the back of beyond. The words ‘rock’ and ‘hard place’ spring to mind.

With his money it’s hardly going great is it ?
The whole club needs restructuring from top to bottom , to many ex players and deadwood  involved in all areas from playing to commercial. We need fresh eyes on all of it non of which fenty would agree with so yes fenty out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 47
mariner91
April 1, 2018, 12:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker

How many times does this need to be stated. HE DOES NOT SPEND MONEY. He hasn't for years. Check the accounts, he has put no money into the club for donkey's years but has cost the club untold millions throughout his tenure.

There is absolutely no reason why a club that gets our gates (even this season's and they're down from last year) cannot be sustainable at this level. There are plenty of well run clubs that have no sugar daddies, get lower gates than we do and are out-performing us in virtually every way. It would need the right people in charge, with an actual plan to how we're going to move forward not just hoping for some "football fortune" and cutting costs at every opportunity. Not to mention that I reckon there'd be a significant increase in attendances in the short term if Fenty left. I know people who won't go whilst he's in charge and I'm sure just about everyone who posts on here does or at least know people who wont' go for much longer with him still pulling the strings.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 47
chipsandgravy
April 1, 2018, 12:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +3,538
Gold Stars: 34
Regardless of what league we are in next season I will not give this current leadership any more of my hard earned money. The mistakes that have been made by them border on utter and complete incomptency and would not exist in any other serious business.
Only a complete change at the top and a wholesale change in attitude and direction would get me back on board.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 47
Bigdog
April 1, 2018, 12:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162

John Fenty hasn't put any money into the club for years and hasn't got the inclination to do so in the future. He spends the club's income. I'd rather someone else, wedged or not, allocate the income streams from the fans and the EFL much more skilfully than JF has ever done and a someone who the fans can believe in and promote a feeling of togetherness, not the constant us and them pesky fans..

Whatever happens, the groundswell of a completely fresh start won't go away, there isn't an ounce of appetite or goodwill left for a JF led GTFC..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 47
oldun
April 1, 2018, 12:59pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I think we can expect to see some younger fitter players with more pace. However I hope we can find a few experienced heads for the spine of the team, centre defence, centre mid and up top.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 47
DocDock
April 1, 2018, 1:00pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +235
Gold Stars: 3

Accrington Stanley seem to manage ok on a budget far less than ours. Fenty’s had 14 years of being in charge and we’ve got worse in that time. If that meant several seasons of gradual improvement but playing in a lower league, with a board who have the nous of how to run a football club then i would be fine with that.

I too will not go back to Blundell park next season if we get relegated and Fenty is still in charge, Even if we somehow scrape to safety he needs an exit plan of when he’s leaving. Call it “Fexit”, if you will.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 47
Bigdog
April 1, 2018, 1:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from oldun
I think we can expect to see some younger fitter players with more pace. However I hope we can find a few experienced heads for the spine of the team, centre defence, centre mid and up top.

Not really worked out well for us this year has it? Younger, stronger, fitter, quicker centre halves for me. Defensive drills on the training ground with younger players will achieve much more than this season. RS didn't want to coach, hopefully MJ will be prepared to develop players rather than lazily signing up experienced journeymen at the end of their careers..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 47
chrissy
April 1, 2018, 1:11pm

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +563
MJ  will go for young talented players not 30+ year olds,I agree with op that we should sign quality rather than quantity .

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 47
FishOutOfWater
April 1, 2018, 1:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from ginnywings

Just a couple of flaws with that as I see it Ginny

a complete change of leadership    Fenty won't let go no matter what happens

and direction                                   There's only one direction we tend to go under his tenure

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 47
GYinScuntland
April 1, 2018, 1:30pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,210
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from malkamalka
Thinking onto next season, and referring to something somebody said on a previous thread which was:

"that's what you get when you have 9 strikers on £800 a week instead of 3 on £2,000"

If we were to go down that route, who do people think we should be approaching?

I'll chuck a name in for starters:

Gabby Agbonlahor - who will be a FREE AGENT in the summer.

Comments/Suggestions

Wether it's eight hundred notes or two grand a week it would do them good to be de icing their cars at 4am before a sixteen hour shift for three hundred quid a week.
The girl privates might appreciate how easy a two hour shift on a football pitch actually is and be inclined to try.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 47
Abdul19
April 1, 2018, 1:30pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Every season we're told that we'll have a smaller squad, but higher on quality. It'd be nice if it was true for once.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 47
headingly_mariner
April 1, 2018, 1:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
The thought of not having a season ticket and not going to home games makes me feel a bit sick. I love going, I’ve been going the vast majority of my life and I’ve swerved loads of other stuff to carry on going.
I like others just struggle to see how I can justify putting my money into the club under this leadership. I know people are putting the protesting and disquiet in the ground on the back burner until the season is decided. What happens when we know whether we are safe or not? How do we push for change? I feel as a priority we need to get answers and firm actions going into preseason.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 47
denni266
April 1, 2018, 2:03pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +634
Gold Stars: 128
fenty will not spend any where near the going rate for good players , so we end up with a team like we have now,, and that is not going to change while he is here,, and while there is no chance of a new ground to  finance his loans back nothing is going to change.. We had the players here that imo would have given us a chance to be the other end of the table, and he got rid of them to save a few quid , And he has the nerve to swan around the upper findus  smiling and shaking hands like he is some sort of important person that had done well at the club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 47
Ipswin
April 1, 2018, 2:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from chrissy
MJ  will go for young talented players not 30+ year olds,I agree with op that we should sign quality rather than quantity .

He can go for them but will they come? A lot will clearly depend on what league we are in Div 2 or National League will make a lot of difference I'm afraid.

I also think which league we are in should to a degree determine who he goes for anyway, young lads aren't going to cut it in Div 2, like it or not some older heads will be needed. If we are going to be stuck down in non-league for the foreseeable future then by all means build a squad of youngsters

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 47
FishOutOfWater
April 1, 2018, 3:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from denni266
fenty will not spend any where near the going rate for good players , so we end up with a team like we have now,, and that is not going to change while he is here,, and while there is no chance of a new ground to  finance his loans back nothing is going to change.. We had the players here that imo would have given us a chance to be the other end of the table, and he got rid of them to save a few quid , And he has the nerve to swan around the upper findus  smiling and shaking hands like he is some sort of important person that had done well at out of the club

Hope you don't mind my little correction to your post denni
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 47
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 1, 2018, 4:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

How many times does this need to be stated. HE DOES NOT SPEND MONEY. He hasn't for years. Check the accounts, he has put no money into the club for donkey's years but has cost the club untold millions throughout his tenure.

There is absolutely no reason why a club that gets our gates (even this season's and they're down from last year) cannot be sustainable at this level. There are plenty of well run clubs that have no sugar daddies, get lower gates than we do and are out-performing us in virtually every way. It would need the right people in charge, with an actual plan to how we're going to move forward not just hoping for some "football fortune" and cutting costs at every opportunity. Not to mention that I reckon there'd be a significant increase in attendances in the short term if Fenty left. I know people who won't go whilst he's in charge and I'm sure just about everyone who posts on here does or at least know people who wont' go for much longer with him still pulling the strings.

Oh come off your high horses and tell us something we don't know. It's the easy way out to sit there and snipe and make wish lists every time somebody tries to look just a tiny bit further than the end of our collective noses.

Until there is an alternative on the table we are stuck with what we have and resentment is growing with every day. My concern would be something happening in a great rush that is superficially attractive, i.e. involves Fenty going, which we all would love to see, but which does not have long term viability especially on the park. If that happens we don't go the way of the Accringtons or even the Newports, but the way of the Yorks.

So is there another way? Is there a way that leaves Fenty in place as major shareholder but takes off him those pesky decisions on football club matters that seem to be totally beyond his abilities? Can something be worked out that stops him being the public face of the club? Is there a possibility we could stop talking about his benign loans and shareholdings and just leave them be?

I think there are precedents at the club for this sort of thing from earlier times when the man at the front was not the major shareholder, and worked quite well. The big problem of course is finding someone with ability to be the frontman, but that is perhaps still easier than finding someone with bagfuls of cash or looking for ways that the Trust could come up with a financial package.

Now, I don't know the answers, I'm just musing on the possibilities. Maybe someone else does have alternative suggestions. There are clearly plenty willing to put in their 2 pennorth about lynching the man but can we think a bit beyond the obvious?

Private Message
Reply: 29 - 47
FishOutOfWater
April 1, 2018, 5:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Oh come off your high horses and tell us something we don't know. It's the easy way out to sit there and snipe and make wish lists every time somebody tries to look just a tiny bit further than the end of our collective noses.

Until there is an alternative on the table we are stuck with what we have and resentment is growing with every day. My concern would be something happening in a great rush that is superficially attractive, i.e. involves Fenty going, which we all would love to see, but which does not have long term viability especially on the park. If that happens we don't go the way of the Accringtons or even the Newports, but the way of the Yorks.

So is there another way? Is there a way that leaves Fenty in place as major shareholder but takes off him those pesky decisions on football club matters that seem to be totally beyond his abilities? Can something be worked out that stops him being the public face of the club? Is there a possibility we could stop talking about his benign loans and shareholdings and just leave them be?

I think there are precedents at the club for this sort of thing from earlier times when the man at the front was not the major shareholder, and worked quite well. The big problem of course is finding someone with ability to be the frontman, but that is perhaps still easier than finding someone with bagfuls of cash or looking for ways that the Trust could come up with a financial package.

Now, I don't know the answers, I'm just musing on the possibilities. Maybe someone else does have alternative suggestions. There are clearly plenty willing to put in their 2 pennorth about lynching the man but can we think a bit beyond the obvious?

There's the rub as far as I can see it

While ever JF has his "investment" in the club, he will want to not only control the purse strings but everything else too

It's a real catch 22 in that we are just totally dependent on his total influence of the club we love
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 30 - 47
malkamalka
April 1, 2018, 5:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
So, 3 pages of comments but ZERO suggestions.

That's the trouble with this forum - people are all gob when it comes to being critical, but don't have a clue on how to fix things.

Not much wonder Fenty won't budge!

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 47
Roast Em Bobby
April 1, 2018, 5:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from malkamalka

That's the trouble with this forum - people are all gob when it comes to being critical, but don't have a clue on how to fix things.

Best get Gabby in then and leave it in your capable hands
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 47
mariner91
April 1, 2018, 5:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker

If you knew it already then why did you talk about Fenty "spending money" when it is a known fact, or it should be by now, that he hasn't spent any of his money on the club for at least five seasons now. The money he's spending is the money that come from us, the money that comes from sponsorship and the money that comes from other types of revenue. Which would all still be there if he left. And I daresay there are plenty of people out there who would spend it far better than he ever has.

Why is there no long term viability with Fenty gone? What a ridiculous statement and makes me wonder if you're suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. The two main issues this club have off the pitch are the appalling leadership we've endured for the last 15 years and the fact that one man has the club bent over a barrel with his "benign" loans. If Fenty leaves and takes his loans with him, then both of the problems are gone. Realistically, he'll never actually relinquish his loans, I doubt he'd even take a percentage of them. If he was actually interested in leaving then he'd have stated what price he'd accept for his loans and shares but he hasn't. He loves being in charge too much and I don't doubt for a second that he intends to get as much of his loans back as he can. For all his talk of loving the club etc, if he had any humility he'd accept that he's made a complete shitshow of running it and that he shouldn't get a 15 year stint of being chairman, with all the perks, completely free.

Beyond talking about hypothetical situations that won't happen, if he had any sense or wasn't such a control freak he'd have hired a chief executive years ago to take control of the day to day running of the club. They wouldn't necessarily come cheap, particularly if you wanted someone who'd make a good job of it but the benefit would far outweigh the cost of his wages. Particularly if he improved on all the areas where Fenty has failed so miserably. Again though, this won't happen because he's a megalomaniac and believes he's done a perfectly good job, never once accepting responsibility for the catalogue of errors he's made. You only need to look at the club statement from earlier in the week for evidence of that.

Ultimately, something will break in the very near future. There are plenty of people who are putting their frustrations with the regime to the background at the minute because of the situation on the pitch we find ourselves in. However, once it's known what league we're playing in next year, I think there'll be a huge outpouring of anger and resentment towards Fenty and his cronies. Either they will have to drastically change the way they run things which they've shown no sign of doing or their position will become untenable. I don't expect the board, and Fenty in particular, to put the clubs interests firsts should that happen so we may well go the way of a York and Stockport with dwindling gates and dying a slow death in non-league. But that doesn't mean that we couldn't be a sustainable League 2 club on our gates if we were run properly and weren't bogged down by one man, his ego and his loans.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 47
Bigdog
April 1, 2018, 5:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from malkamalka

Jesus.. there's been thread after thread of suggestions over the past few months..

Mariner91 sums it up perfectly anyway..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 47
HertsGTFC
April 1, 2018, 5:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from Bigdog

Jesus.. there's been thread after thread of suggestions over the past few months..

Good day to welcome him back to the Fishy

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 47
FishOutOfWater
April 1, 2018, 5:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I can see you getting a cross or two for that comment  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 36 - 47
lew chaterleys lover
April 1, 2018, 5:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231

Yes I have mused about this approach being a workable idea for the time being - ie somebody to come in and run the club on a day to day basis and get Fenty out of the public eye as far as the club is concerned; leaving in stages if you will, with the first stage taking a back seat until new investment is found.

I imagine it is impossible though because he will not relinquish control, even in name only. The only real alternative I think is that a consortium of well heeled business people come in and negotiate a deal for him to leave amicably.

Mind you I always have been a bit of a dreamer.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 47
grimsby pete
April 1, 2018, 5:54pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Unlike Bignot and Slade I think Jolley would stick with having 23/24 players on the books,

Both of the above made out they only wanted a smaller number then signed loads more,

That nice Mr Day should be the official spokesman for the club seeing Fenty will not leave any time soon,

I am sure if the Trust had a poll and put this to Fenty he might just take it for a quieter life.

Not what we want but its better than nothing.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 47
Mariner_09
April 1, 2018, 6:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
I don’t mind some older players of the right type. Collins, Davies, Dis, Gary Jones are four examples of exemplary pros.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 47
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 1, 2018, 6:34pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

If you knew it already then why did you talk about Fenty "spending money" when it is a known fact, or it should be by now, that he hasn't spent any of his money on the club for at least five seasons now. The money he's spending is the money that come from us, the money that comes from sponsorship and the money that comes from other types of revenue. Which would all still be there if he left. And I daresay there are plenty of people out there who would spend it far better than he ever has.

Why is there no long term viability with Fenty gone? What a ridiculous statement and makes me wonder if you're suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. The two main issues this club have off the pitch are the appalling leadership we've endured for the last 15 years and the fact that one man has the club bent over a barrel with his "benign" loans. If Fenty leaves and takes his loans with him, then both of the problems are gone. Realistically, he'll never actually relinquish his loans, I doubt he'd even take a percentage of them. If he was actually interested in leaving then he'd have stated what price he'd accept for his loans and shares but he hasn't. He loves being in charge too much and I don't doubt for a second that he intends to get as much of his loans back as he can. For all his talk of loving the club etc, if he had any humility he'd accept that he's made a complete shitshow of running it and that he shouldn't get a 15 year stint of being chairman, with all the perks, completely free.

Beyond talking about hypothetical situations that won't happen, if he had any sense or wasn't such a control freak he'd have hired a chief executive years ago to take control of the day to day running of the club. They wouldn't necessarily come cheap, particularly if you wanted someone who'd make a good job of it but the benefit would far outweigh the cost of his wages. Particularly if he improved on all the areas where Fenty has failed so miserably. Again though, this won't happen because he's a megalomaniac and believes he's done a perfectly good job, never once accepting responsibility for the catalogue of errors he's made. You only need to look at the club statement from earlier in the week for evidence of that.

Ultimately, something will break in the very near future. There are plenty of people who are putting their frustrations with the regime to the background at the minute because of the situation on the pitch we find ourselves in. However, once it's known what league we're playing in next year, I think there'll be a huge outpouring of anger and resentment towards Fenty and his cronies. Either they will have to drastically change the way they run things which they've shown no sign of doing or their position will become untenable. I don't expect the board, and Fenty in particular, to put the clubs interests firsts should that happen so we may well go the way of a York and Stockport with dwindling gates and dying a slow death in non-league. But that doesn't mean that we couldn't be a sustainable League 2 club on our gates if we were run properly and weren't bogged down by one man, his ego and his loans.

Did you mean Stockholm or Stockport?

I didn't say there was no long term viability. I said that if something was done in a rush it might look superficially attractive but not have long term viability. As you say, something may break soon. The question is what provokes it and then what follows it.

As to the chief executive notion. I and others put this forward in the days of Woods and it was not accepted as feasible. No doubt Fenty has the feeling that he has put his money where his mouth is in those times past and he deserves to have the ultimate say in the running of the club. But - times change. Perhaps he may look at life differently 10 years older if not wiser. Doubtful but possible. However, personally I do think this may prove the best way forward. If not a chief exec then a proper chairman with Fenty resigning from the board.

Of course we are a sustainable L2 club and of course we are bogged down by one man, his ego and his loans everyman and his dog knows that. We are also in the mire for investors though. Much as we all detest the likes of Mr Marley, his assessment of the potential investors situation was probably right. Hence maybe the less the finances of the club are disturbed the better? We are really talking about control here but if control comes at the cost of the club being financially disadvantaged we are in dead trouble. This was my point about Fenty's money versus a takeover with no money.

What I would like to see is suggestions for resignation made to Fenty that will safeguard him financially and allow him to escape with some dignity, even if a lot of posters do not believe he deserves it. The club is more important to me than seeing Fenty humiliated.

Private Message
Reply: 40 - 47
moosey_club
April 1, 2018, 7:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from grimsby pete
Unlike Bignot and Slade I think Jolley would stick with having 23/24 players on the books,

Both of the above made out they only wanted a smaller number then signed loads more,

I think every manager would love to have less than 20 players on the books as that would mean you have got all your signings right...Slade had 30 or so but realistically used a core of 16-19 players most of the time...the rest were just names that we often wondered about.

Wherever we are next season, whoever is in charge i just hope they can build at least a balanced squad which is something we hadnt had for quite some time....this season we have largely had 1 left back, too many strikers, too many loanees to fit in a matchday squad, Bignots squad had too many central midfielders.....Hurst never had enough central midfielders.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 47
HertsGTFC
April 1, 2018, 7:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I can see you getting a cross or two for that comment  

I think your observation is nailed on!

Apologies in advance to anyone of a Christian persuasion? ........... though if you can have a word with the big fella 90th or above come May would no doubt boost his support.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 47
arryarryarry
April 1, 2018, 8:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,945
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from malkamalka

Stupid thread if you ask me, how the hell can we discuss players that we want for next season when we don't know if we will be either an EFL or National League club.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 47
Cambs Mariner
April 1, 2018, 8:02pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +1,233
Quoted from HertsGTFC

He isn't the Messiah. He is just a narcissistic tw@t who has destroyed a football club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 47
HertsGTFC
April 1, 2018, 8:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
On a serious note I think it’s difficult to say what approach we’ll take next season until we know what league we are playing in but I hope that MJ has a blue print for each eventuality.

So......

Go down - by mid July have a squad of 23 players with minimal loanees who will stop us getting relegated

Stay up - by mid July have a squad of 23 players with minimal loanees who will stop us getting relegated

Considering we won’t get any real investment and how rotten things are at the club off and on the pitch consolidation is all we can hope for.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
kevikov
April 1, 2018, 8:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +818
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from mariner91

Agree with 99% of that, its just I'd go with "clusterfuck" Shitshow just doesn't tell the full story!

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
Posh Harry
April 2, 2018, 7:18am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Cambs Mariner

He isn't the Messiah. He is just a narcissistic tw@t who has destroyed a football club.

You’re right. He’s not the messiah. He’s a very naughty boy 😊
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next season - new approach

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.