TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 1, 2018, 6:34pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from mariner91

If you knew it already then why did you talk about Fenty "spending money" when it is a known fact, or it should be by now, that he hasn't spent any of his money on the club for at least five seasons now. The money he's spending is the money that come from us, the money that comes from sponsorship and the money that comes from other types of revenue. Which would all still be there if he left. And I daresay there are plenty of people out there who would spend it far better than he ever has.

Why is there no long term viability with Fenty gone? What a ridiculous statement and makes me wonder if you're suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. The two main issues this club have off the pitch are the appalling leadership we've endured for the last 15 years and the fact that one man has the club bent over a barrel with his "benign" loans. If Fenty leaves and takes his loans with him, then both of the problems are gone. Realistically, he'll never actually relinquish his loans, I doubt he'd even take a percentage of them. If he was actually interested in leaving then he'd have stated what price he'd accept for his loans and shares but he hasn't. He loves being in charge too much and I don't doubt for a second that he intends to get as much of his loans back as he can. For all his talk of loving the club etc, if he had any humility he'd accept that he's made a complete shitshow of running it and that he shouldn't get a 15 year stint of being chairman, with all the perks, completely free.

Beyond talking about hypothetical situations that won't happen, if he had any sense or wasn't such a control freak he'd have hired a chief executive years ago to take control of the day to day running of the club. They wouldn't necessarily come cheap, particularly if you wanted someone who'd make a good job of it but the benefit would far outweigh the cost of his wages. Particularly if he improved on all the areas where Fenty has failed so miserably. Again though, this won't happen because he's a megalomaniac and believes he's done a perfectly good job, never once accepting responsibility for the catalogue of errors he's made. You only need to look at the club statement from earlier in the week for evidence of that.

Ultimately, something will break in the very near future. There are plenty of people who are putting their frustrations with the regime to the background at the minute because of the situation on the pitch we find ourselves in. However, once it's known what league we're playing in next year, I think there'll be a huge outpouring of anger and resentment towards Fenty and his cronies. Either they will have to drastically change the way they run things which they've shown no sign of doing or their position will become untenable. I don't expect the board, and Fenty in particular, to put the clubs interests firsts should that happen so we may well go the way of a York and Stockport with dwindling gates and dying a slow death in non-league. But that doesn't mean that we couldn't be a sustainable League 2 club on our gates if we were run properly and weren't bogged down by one man, his ego and his loans.

Did you mean Stockholm or Stockport?

I didn't say there was no long term viability. I said that if something was done in a rush it might look superficially attractive but not have long term viability. As you say, something may break soon. The question is what provokes it and then what follows it.

As to the chief executive notion. I and others put this forward in the days of Woods and it was not accepted as feasible. No doubt Fenty has the feeling that he has put his money where his mouth is in those times past and he deserves to have the ultimate say in the running of the club. But - times change. Perhaps he may look at life differently 10 years older if not wiser. Doubtful but possible. However, personally I do think this may prove the best way forward. If not a chief exec then a proper chairman with Fenty resigning from the board.

Of course we are a sustainable L2 club and of course we are bogged down by one man, his ego and his loans everyman and his dog knows that. We are also in the mire for investors though. Much as we all detest the likes of Mr Marley, his assessment of the potential investors situation was probably right. Hence maybe the less the finances of the club are disturbed the better? We are really talking about control here but if control comes at the cost of the club being financially disadvantaged we are in dead trouble. This was my point about Fenty's money versus a takeover with no money.

What I would like to see is suggestions for resignation made to Fenty that will safeguard him financially and allow him to escape with some dignity, even if a lot of posters do not believe he deserves it. The club is more important to me than seeing Fenty humiliated.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 47
moosey_club
April 1, 2018, 7:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,209
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from grimsby pete
Unlike Bignot and Slade I think Jolley would stick with having 23/24 players on the books,

Both of the above made out they only wanted a smaller number then signed loads more,

I think every manager would love to have less than 20 players on the books as that would mean you have got all your signings right...Slade had 30 or so but realistically used a core of 16-19 players most of the time...the rest were just names that we often wondered about.

Wherever we are next season, whoever is in charge i just hope they can build at least a balanced squad which is something we hadnt had for quite some time....this season we have largely had 1 left back, too many strikers, too many loanees to fit in a matchday squad, Bignots squad had too many central midfielders.....Hurst never had enough central midfielders.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 47
HertsGTFC
April 1, 2018, 7:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I can see you getting a cross or two for that comment  

I think your observation is nailed on!

Apologies in advance to anyone of a Christian persuasion? ........... though if you can have a word with the big fella 90th or above come May would no doubt boost his support.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 47
arryarryarry
April 1, 2018, 8:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from malkamalka
So, 3 pages of comments but ZERO suggestions.

That's the trouble with this forum - people are all gob when it comes to being critical, but don't have a clue on how to fix things.

Not much wonder Fenty won't budge!

Stupid thread if you ask me, how the hell can we discuss players that we want for next season when we don't know if we will be either an EFL or National League club.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 47
Cambs Mariner
April 1, 2018, 8:02pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +1,233
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Good day to welcome him back to the Fishy

He isn't the Messiah. He is just a narcissistic tw@t who has destroyed a football club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 47
HertsGTFC
April 1, 2018, 8:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
On a serious note I think it’s difficult to say what approach we’ll take next season until we know what league we are playing in but I hope that MJ has a blue print for each eventuality.

So......

Go down - by mid July have a squad of 23 players with minimal loanees who will stop us getting relegated

Stay up - by mid July have a squad of 23 players with minimal loanees who will stop us getting relegated

Considering we won’t get any real investment and how rotten things are at the club off and on the pitch consolidation is all we can hope for.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
kevikov
April 1, 2018, 8:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +840
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from mariner91

If you knew it already then why did you talk about Fenty "spending money" when it is a known fact, or it should be by now, that he hasn't spent any of his money on the club for at least five seasons now. The money he's spending is the money that come from us, the money that comes from sponsorship and the money that comes from other types of revenue. Which would all still be there if he left. And I daresay there are plenty of people out there who would spend it far better than he ever has.

Why is there no long term viability with Fenty gone? What a ridiculous statement and makes me wonder if you're suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. The two main issues this club have off the pitch are the appalling leadership we've endured for the last 15 years and the fact that one man has the club bent over a barrel with his "benign" loans. If Fenty leaves and takes his loans with him, then both of the problems are gone. Realistically, he'll never actually relinquish his loans, I doubt he'd even take a percentage of them. If he was actually interested in leaving then he'd have stated what price he'd accept for his loans and shares but he hasn't. He loves being in charge too much and I don't doubt for a second that he intends to get as much of his loans back as he can. For all his talk of loving the club etc, if he had any humility he'd accept that he's made a complete shitshow of running it and that he shouldn't get a 15 year stint of being chairman, with all the perks, completely free.

Beyond talking about hypothetical situations that won't happen, if he had any sense or wasn't such a control freak he'd have hired a chief executive years ago to take control of the day to day running of the club. They wouldn't necessarily come cheap, particularly if you wanted someone who'd make a good job of it but the benefit would far outweigh the cost of his wages. Particularly if he improved on all the areas where Fenty has failed so miserably. Again though, this won't happen because he's a megalomaniac and believes he's done a perfectly good job, never once accepting responsibility for the catalogue of errors he's made. You only need to look at the club statement from earlier in the week for evidence of that.

Ultimately, something will break in the very near future. There are plenty of people who are putting their frustrations with the regime to the background at the minute because of the situation on the pitch we find ourselves in. However, once it's known what league we're playing in next year, I think there'll be a huge outpouring of anger and resentment towards Fenty and his cronies. Either they will have to drastically change the way they run things which they've shown no sign of doing or their position will become untenable. I don't expect the board, and Fenty in particular, to put the clubs interests firsts should that happen so we may well go the way of a York and Stockport with dwindling gates and dying a slow death in non-league. But that doesn't mean that we couldn't be a sustainable League 2 club on our gates if we were run properly and weren't bogged down by one man, his ego and his loans.

Agree with 99% of that, its just I'd go with "clusterfuck" Shitshow just doesn't tell the full story!

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
Posh Harry
April 2, 2018, 7:18am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,344
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Cambs Mariner

He isn't the Messiah. He is just a narcissistic tw@t who has destroyed a football club.

You’re right. He’s not the messiah. He’s a very naughty boy 😊
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next season - new approach

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.