5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
FishOutOfWater
April 1, 2018, 5:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37

Oh come off your high horses and tell us something we don't know. It's the easy way out to sit there and snipe and make wish lists every time somebody tries to look just a tiny bit further than the end of our collective noses.

Until there is an alternative on the table we are stuck with what we have and resentment is growing with every day. My concern would be something happening in a great rush that is superficially attractive, i.e. involves Fenty going, which we all would love to see, but which does not have long term viability especially on the park. If that happens we don't go the way of the Accringtons or even the Newports, but the way of the Yorks.

So is there another way? Is there a way that leaves Fenty in place as major shareholder but takes off him those pesky decisions on football club matters that seem to be totally beyond his abilities? Can something be worked out that stops him being the public face of the club? Is there a possibility we could stop talking about his benign loans and shareholdings and just leave them be?

I think there are precedents at the club for this sort of thing from earlier times when the man at the front was not the major shareholder, and worked quite well. The big problem of course is finding someone with ability to be the frontman, but that is perhaps still easier than finding someone with bagfuls of cash or looking for ways that the Trust could come up with a financial package.

Now, I don't know the answers, I'm just musing on the possibilities. Maybe someone else does have alternative suggestions. There are clearly plenty willing to put in their 2 pennorth about lynching the man but can we think a bit beyond the obvious?

There's the rub as far as I can see it

While ever JF has his "investment" in the club, he will want to not only control the purse strings but everything else too

It's a real catch 22 in that we are just totally dependent on his total influence of the club we love
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 30 - 47
malkamalka
April 1, 2018, 5:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
So, 3 pages of comments but ZERO suggestions.

That's the trouble with this forum - people are all gob when it comes to being critical, but don't have a clue on how to fix things.

Not much wonder Fenty won't budge!

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 47
Roast Em Bobby
April 1, 2018, 5:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,720
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from malkamalka

That's the trouble with this forum - people are all gob when it comes to being critical, but don't have a clue on how to fix things.

Best get Gabby in then and leave it in your capable hands
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 47
mariner91
April 1, 2018, 5:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,578
Gold Stars: 260

Oh come off your high horses and tell us something we don't know. It's the easy way out to sit there and snipe and make wish lists every time somebody tries to look just a tiny bit further than the end of our collective noses.

Until there is an alternative on the table we are stuck with what we have and resentment is growing with every day. My concern would be something happening in a great rush that is superficially attractive, i.e. involves Fenty going, which we all would love to see, but which does not have long term viability especially on the park. If that happens we don't go the way of the Accringtons or even the Newports, but the way of the Yorks.

So is there another way? Is there a way that leaves Fenty in place as major shareholder but takes off him those pesky decisions on football club matters that seem to be totally beyond his abilities? Can something be worked out that stops him being the public face of the club? Is there a possibility we could stop talking about his benign loans and shareholdings and just leave them be?

I think there are precedents at the club for this sort of thing from earlier times when the man at the front was not the major shareholder, and worked quite well. The big problem of course is finding someone with ability to be the frontman, but that is perhaps still easier than finding someone with bagfuls of cash or looking for ways that the Trust could come up with a financial package.

Now, I don't know the answers, I'm just musing on the possibilities. Maybe someone else does have alternative suggestions. There are clearly plenty willing to put in their 2 pennorth about lynching the man but can we think a bit beyond the obvious?

If you knew it already then why did you talk about Fenty "spending money" when it is a known fact, or it should be by now, that he hasn't spent any of his money on the club for at least five seasons now. The money he's spending is the money that come from us, the money that comes from sponsorship and the money that comes from other types of revenue. Which would all still be there if he left. And I daresay there are plenty of people out there who would spend it far better than he ever has.

Why is there no long term viability with Fenty gone? What a ridiculous statement and makes me wonder if you're suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. The two main issues this club have off the pitch are the appalling leadership we've endured for the last 15 years and the fact that one man has the club bent over a barrel with his "benign" loans. If Fenty leaves and takes his loans with him, then both of the problems are gone. Realistically, he'll never actually relinquish his loans, I doubt he'd even take a percentage of them. If he was actually interested in leaving then he'd have stated what price he'd accept for his loans and shares but he hasn't. He loves being in charge too much and I don't doubt for a second that he intends to get as much of his loans back as he can. For all his talk of loving the club etc, if he had any humility he'd accept that he's made a complete shitshow of running it and that he shouldn't get a 15 year stint of being chairman, with all the perks, completely free.

Beyond talking about hypothetical situations that won't happen, if he had any sense or wasn't such a control freak he'd have hired a chief executive years ago to take control of the day to day running of the club. They wouldn't necessarily come cheap, particularly if you wanted someone who'd make a good job of it but the benefit would far outweigh the cost of his wages. Particularly if he improved on all the areas where Fenty has failed so miserably. Again though, this won't happen because he's a megalomaniac and believes he's done a perfectly good job, never once accepting responsibility for the catalogue of errors he's made. You only need to look at the club statement from earlier in the week for evidence of that.

Ultimately, something will break in the very near future. There are plenty of people who are putting their frustrations with the regime to the background at the minute because of the situation on the pitch we find ourselves in. However, once it's known what league we're playing in next year, I think there'll be a huge outpouring of anger and resentment towards Fenty and his cronies. Either they will have to drastically change the way they run things which they've shown no sign of doing or their position will become untenable. I don't expect the board, and Fenty in particular, to put the clubs interests firsts should that happen so we may well go the way of a York and Stockport with dwindling gates and dying a slow death in non-league. But that doesn't mean that we couldn't be a sustainable League 2 club on our gates if we were run properly and weren't bogged down by one man, his ego and his loans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 47
Bigdog
April 1, 2018, 5:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from malkamalka

Jesus.. there's been thread after thread of suggestions over the past few months..

Mariner91 sums it up perfectly anyway..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 47
HertsGTFC
April 1, 2018, 5:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Bigdog

Jesus.. there's been thread after thread of suggestions over the past few months..

Good day to welcome him back to the Fishy

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 47
FishOutOfWater
April 1, 2018, 5:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Good day to welcome him back to the Fishy

I can see you getting a cross or two for that comment  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 36 - 47
lew chaterleys lover
April 1, 2018, 5:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,658
Gold Stars: 234

Yes I have mused about this approach being a workable idea for the time being - ie somebody to come in and run the club on a day to day basis and get Fenty out of the public eye as far as the club is concerned; leaving in stages if you will, with the first stage taking a back seat until new investment is found.

I imagine it is impossible though because he will not relinquish control, even in name only. The only real alternative I think is that a consortium of well heeled business people come in and negotiate a deal for him to leave amicably.

Mind you I always have been a bit of a dreamer.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 47
grimsby pete
April 1, 2018, 5:54pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Unlike Bignot and Slade I think Jolley would stick with having 23/24 players on the books,

Both of the above made out they only wanted a smaller number then signed loads more,

That nice Mr Day should be the official spokesman for the club seeing Fenty will not leave any time soon,

I am sure if the Trust had a poll and put this to Fenty he might just take it for a quieter life.

Not what we want but its better than nothing.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 47
Mariner_09
April 1, 2018, 6:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
I don’t mind some older players of the right type. Collins, Davies, Dis, Gary Jones are four examples of exemplary pros.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next season - new approach

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.