Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team For Monday.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 193 Guests

Team For Monday.

This thread currently has 8,259 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner91
March 31, 2018, 12:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,627
Gold Stars: 260

We looked very marginally better against opponents who were themselves down in the doldrums, but they came closest to winning it with the header that hit the post and subsequent goal line clearance.

We offer next to nothing in any area and it is just a question whether Chesterfield and or Barnet can catch us in the time that is left.

I am surprised the new manager hasn't been able to influence the team more if I am honestI thought he would have insisted on a high tempo pressing game and  get some momentum going.

He was a very brave man for taking the job on  and I hope it is a happy ending, but both Barnet and Chesterfield have been inching closer over many weeks and I expect them to overtake us in the next few weeks sadly.

How could we play a high pressing game with the players at our disposal? Not enough athleticism or mobility in the midfield. Slow centre backs that would get caught out if we pushed up to press. And not a lot of pace out wide or up front either to make pressing more effective. I agree that he hasn't had too much impact but he's really hamstrung by time and squad constraints.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 49
Bigdog
March 31, 2018, 12:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
Putting Suliman in against man-mountain Akinfenwa would be a mistake IMO, unless we're going to go with 5 at the back

It's pretty essential to play three centre halves against Akinfenwa. They launch the ball to him and if one of our slow centre halves is left turning after the second ball then we're in trouble. The problem won't be marking Akinfenwa, it will be the one v one for the second ball. Suliman's covering pace in a three is a must in my opinion..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 49
devs
March 31, 2018, 2:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30
He will stick 442 IMO - I think he has said players are most comfortable with that

Same back 5
DJ for Dembele
McAllister/Clifton for Rose (in fact, Berret for Rose if pushed)

Up top? If Matt was anywhere near good enough at holding up the ball I'd play him as lone striker...but he isn't

Wilks and Hooper offer movement (worked quite well first half) - but both faded second half

Titanic, rearranging and deck chairs spring to mind...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 49
TAGG
March 31, 2018, 3:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Park the bus 👍

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 49
sam gy
March 31, 2018, 4:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Having just watched the extended highlights form yesterday, I think if we’ve got a chance of doing anything then we need McSheffrey and Summerfield in the team. Hopefully they’re both fit enough to play two games so close to each other.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 49
Roast Em Bobby
March 31, 2018, 6:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44
McSheffery definitely brings a bit more composure and nearly always picks out the best pass/option - usually its something quite simple but it stands out when we have so many others who dither,delay and choose the wrong pass/option.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 49
GrimRob
March 31, 2018, 10:57pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Flat back 10. No point even trying to score.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 36 - 49
Mrs Doyle
April 1, 2018, 6:39am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
A point would be a massive bonus going into the two biggest home games in our history.

I know M.J. keeps denying it but to me, these two matches WILL decide whether we stay in the league.

Lets not beat about the bush here if we do go down this team is not good enough to bounce back and Fenty and co will NOT invest the required money to do so.

We will be down for years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 49
OneLove
April 1, 2018, 7:26am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +731
Gold Stars: 10
I would play the same back four again, take mitch rose well out the game and stick in mcallister, clifton on the wing, mcshef and jackson if avail up front or if not give DJ a go up there, got nothing to lose with trying out different goal scoring approaches.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 49
FishOutOfWater
April 1, 2018, 12:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from OneLove
I would play the same back four again, take mitch rose well out the game and stick in mcallister, clifton on the wing, mcshef and jackson if avail up front or if not give DJ a go up there, got nothing to lose with trying out different goal scoring approaches.

My concern with the same back four would be that it's too similar to when we played them at home ( Fox now instead of Dixon)

Akinfenwa totally bossed our defence that afternoon with Collins being sent off because he couldn't keep up with the pace of their attack, leading to him fouling and getting red-carded

I think the idea of a five man defence is probably the minimum of what's going to be needed otherwise we'll be on another hiding to nothing
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 39 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team For Monday.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.