Private Message
Badger57
March 30, 2018, 7:08pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,902
Gold Stars: 30
This point will be worthless if we don't beat Chesterfield and Barnet (both tougher games than they looked a few weeks ago now they are improving) and how are we going to beat them when we can't score goals?
Think we've had it I'm afraid to say.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
grimsby pete
March 30, 2018, 7:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
At the end of the season one point will decide whether we stay up or go down imo

I hope we do not go down because of one point,

It would be really annoying if we do for many reasons,

BUT

We have had so many games where we could have picked up that point.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
imm_mariner
March 30, 2018, 7:28pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +69
I agree I think this point isn't a disaster. I thought on the whole we looked a lot more organised and our play was a lot more varied in terms of going direct and then , at times, playing some lovely stuff on the deck. I think mj has already put his stamp on the team obviously with the shower of shite slade left him with. We just need that first goal and I think the confidence will soar throughout the team. Rose is a disgrace and doesn't give a excrement about this club. Wilks and hooper don't look that arsed either but the rest , I thought, were giving their all. Summerfield is going to be crucial to our survival. Never thought I would say that but the guy gets the crowd going, he puts every ounce of effort into everything he does and atleast looks to play the ball about abit. His work rate and energy is infectious. players like him in a relegation scrap are priceless. Him and Macca can hold their heads high this season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
oldun
March 31, 2018, 9:03am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I keep reflecting on that terrible miss from the pen spot by Hooper a few games ago which cost us 2 points.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
FishOutOfWater
March 31, 2018, 1:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from oldun
I keep reflecting on that terrible miss from the pen spot by Hooper a few games ago which cost us 2 points.

How did it cost us two points oldun?

If he had scored it would have been an equaliser so that would have been only the one point salvaged
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 23
oldun
March 31, 2018, 5:25pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

How did it cost us two points oldun?

If he had scored it would have been an equaliser so that would have been only the one point salvaged

Sorry, my mistake, but even that 1 point would be useful now. Mind you I see Brighton missed a vital pen today. Sometimes it just does not go for you when you are struggling.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
LondonMariner43
March 31, 2018, 5:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,891
Gold Stars: 64
Before this game, it was vital to beat Barnet and Chesterfield.  That remains the case.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
FishOutOfWater
March 31, 2018, 5:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from oldun

Sorry, my mistake, but even that 1 point would be useful now. Mind you I see Brighton missed a vital pen today. Sometimes it just does not go for you when you are struggling.

You’re right oldun……every point counts so much when we look at our position

I look back on the one Sam Jones missed earlier in the season too when we drew 0-0 at home to Crawley

Again additional points back then and our current situation might just seem that little bit better

All ifs and buts though.... we had the rub of the green when Macca saved us against Port Vale when we dug in and rescued that point

It doesn’t disguise how poor our situation is though and how we desperately need to grind out something every game we have left until the season ends
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 23
nightrider
March 31, 2018, 6:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Six more draws wouldn't be too bad

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
chaos33
March 31, 2018, 7:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,788
Gold Stars: 349
2 dropped points definitely. If you can't score you can't win. Wycombe will tw@t us and our best hope, it seems, is to try to fluke 0-0 draws with Chesterfield, Barnet and Notts County. Unlikely.
We are gone....

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
imm_mariner
March 31, 2018, 8:54pm
Coke Drinker
i genuinely believe this team will stay up just on the pure fact that we have 2 or 3 big characters in the team that will drag the rest through i.e. Macca, Collins summerfield. That paired with the amazing support and I really think jolley is starting to get a tune out the lads there playing some decent football and look a lot more confident. What needs to happen off the pitch at the minute is secondary to the fact we need to get behind the lads and we CAN make the difference. Bar 1 or 2 bad apples these boys are giving us everything and we need to give them the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
lew chaterleys lover
March 31, 2018, 9:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,549
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from imm_mariner
i genuinely believe this team will stay up just on the pure fact that we have 2 or 3 big characters in the team that will drag the rest through i.e. Macca, Collins summerfield. That paired with the amazing support and I really think jolley is starting to get a tune out the lads there playing some decent football and look a lot more confident. What needs to happen off the pitch at the minute is secondary to the fact we need to get behind the lads and we CAN make the difference. Bar 1 or 2 bad apples these boys are giving us everything and we need to give them the same.

Sadly having "2 or 3 big characters" will be nowhere near enough to save us. Nor will fantastic support. Both Barnet and Chesterfield have goalscorers and we have not, and both are slowly  but steadily catching us as the weeks go by.

Anything could happen in football but there is very little factual evidence that we will survive.The only thing that will save us is what happens on the pitch - what happens in the stands is largely irrelevant. I don't even think the "boys are giving us everything" as the strikers can't even be arsed to get into the box when a cross comes in.

You may be super positive and I may be super negative, and we both hope against hope we can do it, but personally I think we have had it purely on the fact that we cannot score. To go 19 games without a win in any division means relegation is extremely likely.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
imm_mariner
April 1, 2018, 6:27am
Coke Drinker
I respect your opinion but mine is the fact that I think we have a manager and team, fans that are all pulling in the same direction. We have enough quality at the back (mills,fox,Collins) and enough quality in the middle (summerfield,dembele,McAllister) to scrape through. What else have we got to cling on to? Doom and gloom will help no one if we do go down I will still be there to take my son and support the boys whatever league were in because you can't pick and choose who u follow
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
Mrs Doyle
April 1, 2018, 7:50am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Trying to stay positive but we will not stay up if we don't score and that looks beyond our capabilities.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
lobsterpot
April 1, 2018, 8:01am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +18 / -2
Approval: +742
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Before this game, it was vital to beat Barnet and Chesterfield.  That remains the case.

I disagree. I would say it is vital to not lose to them. Obvs it would be great to win but let's not kid ourselves. I expect them both to beat us, as i expected Stevenage to do the same. Sad to say that i was pleased as punch to get a point.

" YOU ALWAYS SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS, SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS........"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
lukeo
April 1, 2018, 8:19am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 134
I think today is the day that will give us more of an incite.. If we can stay atleast 4 points clear of Barnet and Chesterfield by 5pm then I'll feel more confident... Anything less then I think we are in serious danger.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
mariner91
April 1, 2018, 8:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,254
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from lukeo
I think today is the day that will give us more of an incite.. If we can stay atleast 4 points clear of Barnet and Chesterfield by 5pm then I'll feel more confident... Anything less then I think we are in serious danger.

You realise we're playing tomorrow right?

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
April 1, 2018, 9:25am
Guest User
Quoted from imm_mariner

I believe we will go down as we DON'T have characters in the team. Lack of leadership through the spine especially, criminal recruitment from Slade, an absolute mess. That's just from watching, maybe unfair as I don't know any of the current players personally.

Still a good idea to release Shaun Pearson?
Reply: 18 - 23
imm_mariner
April 1, 2018, 9:43am
Coke Drinker
Definitely should not have released Pearson but I think players like Collins summerfield mills Macca won't just lay down and let us slip into non league with a whimper. I know we can't score for toffee but at some point them runs from dembele, a corner on the head of Collins, something surely will go our way. I thought we looked fairly solid Saturday and created chances. Maybe it's just blind optimism but I seriously feel that our luck will change
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
MrsMariner
April 1, 2018, 11:15am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +432
Gold Stars: 1
There are definite signs of improvement but the big worry is still where the goals are going to come from. If we can get Jackson fit and on the pitch he might just be our saviour and turn out to be the one successful Slade signing. I wasn't happy with Clarke in the team felt he was the weak link in the defence and a disaster waiting to happen, why he's captain I have no idea he doesn't seem to organise and certainly doesn't lead by example.
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 23
FishOutOfWater
April 1, 2018, 1:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MrsMariner
There are definite signs of improvement but the big worry is still where the goals are going to come from. If we can get Jackson fit and on the pitch he might just be our saviour and turn out to be the one successful Slade signing. I wasn't happy with Clarke in the team felt he was the weak link in the defence and a disaster waiting to happen, why he's captain I have no idea he doesn't seem to organise and certainly doesn't lead by example.
UTM

I might disagree with you there.... all the other players can see what he does and then choose to do just the opposite  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 21 - 23
arryarryarry
April 1, 2018, 8:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from MrsMariner
UTM

Not saying he wont be but what makes you think that?
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 23
MrsMariner
April 1, 2018, 10:34pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +432
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from arryarryarry

Not saying he wont be but what makes you think that?

It's probably more hope than any thing but he did find the back of the net on his home debut, he's an experienced striker who may not be playing  with zero confidence like all the other strikers we have.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.