Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just listened to jollys interview with David burns
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 315 Guests

Just listened to jollys interview with David burns

This thread currently has 14,059 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
LH
March 30, 2018, 8:47pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,390
Gold Stars: 169
Agree with TOC and Tiny. He’d tear Fenty to bits if he interviewed him one on one. On the eve of an Anthony Joshua fight I think we can agree that it’s another heavyweight fight we’d all like to see/hear.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 78
Cod Cheeks
March 30, 2018, 8:48pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
Quoted from darren9
For what it’s worth Jolley comes across well in his pre and post match interviews.

For me, it’s not important what a manager says at these. For example Hurst with his emphasis on “keeping us shape” and his monotone delivery didn’t come across well, but he produced the goods. While Bignot with his talk of “the BP”’and his excitable mannerisms came across much better and we can all agree on who we’d rather have in the dug out out of those 2.

But, if we’re analysing the post match presser then I think Jolley talks a good game. He’s clearly intelligent and that comes across. He is able to some extent to control an interview. “Burnsey” has one style which is the fashionable aggressive tone and he’s as good as you could expect someone on local radio to be in that situation but he is by no means an expert interviewer and it shows.

Jolley, for me came out of the encounter well, he has been able to convey his opinions and his beliefs but hasn’t said anything controversial or that would lead to embarrassment further down the line; this is what Burnsey wants. He doesn’t necessarily want “the difficult questions answering” and he doesn’t have the best wishes of the fans/listeners at heart. What he wants is attention be it by a manager saying something he shouldn’t or by an argument. That will ensure that the interview is spoken about. Jolley hasn’t risen to it but he has answered the questions in an honest and a considered manner.

As for the “what’s your name?” Well, prior to applying for our job how likely is it that Jolley has even heard of burnsey? He’s not a massive media figure. His reach extends to the Humberside region and were usually covered by JT in any case. Is it that far-fetched that he doesn’t know who burnsey is? As another poster pointed out he’s had to learn a lot of names in a short space of time and the name of a journalist is probably some way down the list of importance.

It could however have been a clever way of tipping some of the balance of power back in his favour we’ll probably never know.

But, with the lack of points on the board. The lack of ability to score goals and the general shite we find ourselves in an interview with burnsey ranks pretty far down in the list of things Grimsby town fans should be arsed about tonight.

Oh yes he is! Haven't you seen the fat bustard?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 78
KingstonMariner
March 30, 2018, 9:05pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I’m sure Burnsy would ask Fenty the questions we would all like the answer to. Whether or not Fenty would be up for it is another matter.

I'd pay to watch that! I bet lots would. Be a good fundraiser for the club.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 78
toontown
March 30, 2018, 9:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Pretty sure Jolley was asking him his name in an attempt at a put down, if he didn't know it there was no need to make it clear. Thought Jolley handled himslef well enough like Tiny said, but burnsy asked the questions that needed asking. The club could really do with some1 like that on the inside, asking questions of it, the nodding donkey acceptance of Fenty's shite within GTFC has got us were we are today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 78
chaos33
March 30, 2018, 9:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
I thought Burnsy asked the questions that needed to be asked. Fair play to MJ - he handled this well but I think we all know that one or two answers were more about the professional 'straight bat' than the truth.
Burnsy has to ask the probing questions we would ask ourselves but MJ can't very well say ' I know we are well short and these inherited players are cr@p' can he.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 78
Tommy
March 30, 2018, 10:05pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
I've no problem with Burns asking difficult questions but it comes across a bit like he's acting a mammary when he's pushing MJ on saying the squad hasn't got goals or won't stay up, or can't create chances. What does he think Jolley's going to say, "yeah my players aren't good enough, we're going down without a doubt."

Even if he thinks most of them aren't good enough, he isn't going to say that live in radio is he. So Burns constantly pushing him on this isn't great questioning at all its just persistently trying to wind him up whilst trying to give it the "I'm big time I used to interview Premier League Managers" attitude.

As I say, I'm all for asking pressing questions but I don't particularly think he was doing.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 78
MuddyWaters
March 30, 2018, 10:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,880
Gold Stars: 230
MJ is unlikely to blame the previous manager and the board that appointed him but it would be highly entertaining if he did
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 78
Barrattstander
March 30, 2018, 10:22pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +867
Gold Stars: 14
Not sure which I found funnier: MJ asking David Burns who he was or the fact that David Burns self-identifies as the artist known as “Burnsey”

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 78
HertsGTFC
March 30, 2018, 11:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
I thought Burns and Matt Dean just regurgitated the stuff we’ve been talking about for ages on here. I like to hear Burns and Madkins that’s a good battle to be honest

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 78
dapperz fun pub
March 31, 2018, 7:33am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from MuddyWaters
MJ is unlikely to blame the previous manager and the board that appointed him but it would be highly entertaining if he did

Why can't he blame that sharp object Slade ? I think he will once were relegated, why wouldn't he after all the players in the main are his I would like that sharp objects name dissed publicly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 78
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just listened to jollys interview with David burns

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.