5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
March 27, 2018, 10:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,142
Gold Stars: 220
VAR.....now i thought it was supposed to be used in all goal situations to check for any reasons to disallow ?
As the penalty was scored then surely the VAR should have been used to check for any such reasons,...  like the Italians encroaching ?

Just a thought.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 41
Numanoid
March 27, 2018, 10:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +152
Gold Stars: 14
That was a ridiculous penalty decision.

Surely there has to be some intent for it to be a penalty?

The defender is simply running with the forward and accidentally stands on his foot after the ball has gone when the attacker is already going down.What is the defender supposed to do - wave him through 'cos he isn't allowed to go anywhere near him?

They didn't appeal for a penalty. I thought VAR was to solve the problem not create it. I would be off the wall if that had been given in a World Cup match.

When you see the amount of obvious shirt pulling/blatant shoving that goes on at corners and free kicks that are never given. A penalty is basically a goal so the ref has to be sure it was a foul and there was intent before giving it.  

totally agree was not intentional at all !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 41
mimma
March 28, 2018, 12:57am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 78
Every corner will result in penalty appeals for holding/shirt pulling. It will take ages at every corner to decide what's going on.

Suppose on the bright side it might just stop all that going on at corners, if every time a defender grabs someone he will be taking a big risk. Just hope that the video ref doesn't turn the "Italian blind eye" to it all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 41
Madeleymariner
March 28, 2018, 9:09am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from mimma
Every corner will result in penalty appeals for holding/shirt pulling. It will take ages at every corner to decide what's going on.

Suppose on the bright side it might just stop all that going on at corners, if every time a defender grabs someone he will be taking a big risk. Just hope that the video ref doesn't turn the "Italian blind eye" to it all.

I think its time refs just started awarding pens/free kicks alternatively when players are grappling with each other in the box 12 penaltys in one match would stop it happening anymore, pulling a players shirt, bearhugging etc are all fouls and the sooner they start penalising every incident it will stop.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 41
Maringer
March 28, 2018, 10:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from Madeleymariner

I think its time refs just started awarding pens/free kicks alternatively when players are grappling with each other in the box 12 penaltys in one match would stop it happening anymore, pulling a players shirt, bearhugging etc are all fouls and the sooner they start penalising every incident it will stop.

Not just penalties - immediate bookings (for either the defender or the forward) with any shirt pulling. You'd end up with more goals (from penalties) and more red cards for just a month or two before defenders and forwards actually started looking at the ball from set pieces instead of their opponent!

If you get players trying to con the referee in these situations, allow retrospective bans for any such behaviour.

As for the penalty, I thought it unfortunate, but can see why it was given. It explains why the Italian player did his dying swan act as it hurts when somebody treads on the top of your foot!

Has to be said, I thought the Italians looked a lot better than the Dutch. Immobile looks a very good player, but then he really ought to have scored one or two. Some good passing and movement from us at times as well. I wonder how well Kane will fit into this style of play, however? He's far from slow, but not short and nippy like the other attackers we had on the pitch yesterday.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 41
Cloudy
March 28, 2018, 2:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Was initially awarding a corner 'a clear and obvious error of judgement' ?

I dont think so and that was what I thought VAR had been brought in for?
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 41
golfer
March 28, 2018, 4:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,373
Gold Stars: 111
I thought Dier played just like Berrett-if they were in the same team everybody would fall asleep-ffffing useless
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 41
Gaffer58
March 28, 2018, 4:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from hheh2
Jordan Henderson on   how he gets into any team is beyond me

There were some stats for his game against Holland, don't quote me on the exact figures but, he passed about 91 times and only about 12 went forward, the rest were either sideways or backwards, so as the above quote, he would walk into towns midfield because he would never create a chance either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 41
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 28, 2018, 4:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
That was a ridiculous penalty decision.

Surely there has to be some intent for it to be a penalty?

The defender is simply running with the forward and accidentally stands on his foot after the ball has gone when the attacker is already going down.What is the defender supposed to do - wave him through 'cos he isn't allowed to go anywhere near him?

They didn't appeal for a penalty. I thought VAR was to solve the problem not create it. I would be off the wall if that had been given in a World Cup match.

When you see the amount of obvious shirt pulling/blatant shoving that goes on at corners and free kicks that are never given. A penalty is basically a goal so the ref has to be sure it was a foul and there was intent before giving it.  

VAR is useless to the game because it replaces a fallible referee with a fallible machine and another fallible referee. Truly pointless. Well you would think so but I reckon there are those in FIFA who would like to see football played with no contact and VAR could go a long way towards achieving this in a few seasons. Defenders will be sh!t scared to even try a tackle and forwards looking for contact to fall over will make Ali look like an amateur.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 41
Gaffer58
March 28, 2018, 4:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
I think VAR will be overused by the refs, they will be excrement scared of making a mistake and so will refer to it every time they can, then they will claim that any mistakes are not their fault.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England v Italy

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.