This thread currently has 12,558 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
fleabag1970
March 26, 2018, 3:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
They are the team we need to finish above . Forget chesterfield they will fnish above us . Port vale are on a similar run so I would consider them to be catchable with 2 wins and a couple of draws

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reverendmariner
March 26, 2018, 3:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +275
If we get two wins and two draws we'll be safe anyway. I must say I don't care who goes down so long as it's not us.Don't have a very sympathetic view of Port Vale after their fans' behaviour here so it might as well be them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 57
Marinerz93
March 26, 2018, 4:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
There are a couple of teams above us who we could over take if we could just get a couple of pesky wins.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 57
Hagrid
March 26, 2018, 4:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,327
Gold Stars: 526
id love you to be right, but i just cant see where we are getting a win from, i think it was Ginny who said about port vale completely outplayig us here, which they did, they could've been 3/4 up if not for macca, we are just so so poor
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 57
RichMariner
March 26, 2018, 4:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,128
Gold Stars: 209
It all seems so possible when you look at the table.

Just a win here, a win there...

Then you remember how utterly terrible we are, and how we made Port Vale look like world-beaters in that first half, and you worry for our future.

But all runs must come to an end. No better time than to end it this Friday!

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 4 - 57
carrot top
March 26, 2018, 4:20pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +816
Gold Stars: 2
bit of clutching at straws really. What a terrible run of form we are on, worse than anyone in English Football.
I fear the worst but hope I'm wrong. We cannot expect anything other than 3 points on Friday in order to give some hope

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 57
Davec
March 26, 2018, 4:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
All what we need to do is grind out a couple of flukey 1-0 wins, one being against Chesterfield hopefully. But then we've been saying that these last 18 games...

You would think that Mckeown Collins Davies Mills Dembele Wilks Jackson and a few others aren't relegation standard players but then again we've been saying that for 18 games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 57
hheh2
March 26, 2018, 8:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
Just win every game left pleeeeeease

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 57
DaleGTFC
March 26, 2018, 11:00pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +79
Gold Stars: 2
Their fans are smashing up their club shop demanding refunds. Their club is as divided as ours, but us fans need to remain strong in remaining weeks, we'll say what needs to be said to Mr Fenty at the end of the season. We are Grimsby Town and we WILL send the Vale down. We have to be positive - starts Friday. We need to pile on the pressure and they'll crack.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 57
KingstonMariner
March 26, 2018, 11:17pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from DaleGTFC
Their fans are smashing up their club shop demanding refunds. Their club is as divided as ours, but us fans need to remain strong in remaining weeks, we'll say what needs to be said to Mr Fenty at the end of the season. We are Grimsby Town and we WILL send the Vale down. We have to be positive - starts Friday. We need to pile on the pressure and they'll crack.

Sorry mate but how exactly do WE pile the pressure on Port Vale? The 'twelfth man' hasn't been able to lift this squad to victory for 3 months, so how will that work when we won't even be playing Port Vale?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 57
chaos33
March 26, 2018, 11:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,864
Gold Stars: 353
Exactly

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 57
SheepGTFC
March 27, 2018, 5:18am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +282
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Reverendmariner
If we get two wins and two draws we'll be safe anyway. I must say I don't care who goes down so long as it's not us.Don't have a very sympathetic view of Port Vale after their fans' behaviour here so it might as well be them.

That would put us on 44 points. Our same total from 09/10. Bad omen imo. I think we need 3 wins.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 57
Marinerz93
March 27, 2018, 7:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from DaleGTFC

Is their non Chairman a narcissistic club deconstructor too. It's our players who are cracking under pressure as they have the breaking strain of a kit-kat. Why does it start Friday, are the players aware of this because as far as I can see they aren't even aware of what they are doing. Don't blame the fans for Fenty's intercourse ups he is solely to blame for the situation we are in, the yes board are just as culpable.

FENTY OUT

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 57
Abdul19
March 27, 2018, 10:21am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,504
Gold Stars: 215
Their last result was a draw at the 3rd placed side. That and their display at BP gives a better indicator of our ability to catch them than their fans wanting refunds on socks.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 57
ginnywings
March 27, 2018, 10:24am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,085
Gold Stars: 548
Yep, can't see us keeping Wycombe scoreless like they did.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 57
Heisenberg
March 27, 2018, 10:52am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,937
Gold Stars: 93
I'd say that if we don't beat Stevenage on Friday, then it's over.  It doesn't matter what the other scores are this weekend, anything other than a win and I fear we're down.  The table won't look a complete lost cause to the general public who don't really understand our current predicament, no matter how this weekend goes, but if we can't beat Stevenage, we won't beat the other teams either (especially Wycombe and Swindon).

To stay up with an 18+-game winless run sandwiched anywhere in your season would be an absolute miracle, and I can't see it happening.

I really hope I'm wrong, but you'd need a huge amount of blind faith to ignore our current form and think we're gonna turn it around any time soon.  There is absolutely no rule that says we'll win any of the remaining games, it's quite conceivable we'll start the 2018/19 season down in the conference and without a win in the whole of 2018.  What a thought.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 57
mariner91
March 27, 2018, 11:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,544
Gold Stars: 258
Quoted from Heisenberg
I'd say that if we don't beat Stevenage on Friday, then it's over.  It doesn't matter what the other scores are this weekend, anything other than a win and I fear we're down.  The table won't look a complete lost cause to the general public who don't really understand our current predicament, no matter how this weekend goes, but if we can't beat Stevenage, we won't beat the other teams either (especially Wycombe and Swindon).

To stay up with an 18+-game winless run sandwiched anywhere in your season would be an absolute miracle, and I can't see it happening.

I really hope I'm wrong, but you'd need a huge amount of blind faith to ignore our current form and think we're gonna turn it around any time soon.  There is absolutely no rule that says we'll win any of the remaining games, it's quite conceivable we'll start the 2018/19 season down in the conference and without a win in the whole of 2018.  What a thought.

Yeah, agree with all of this. Really feel Friday is make or break.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 57
oldun
March 27, 2018, 1:39pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
It will be about mental strength as much as the football. The pressure will be on so who can handle it? Probably need an early goal to settle things down and lift confidence and the crowd.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 57
oldun
March 27, 2018, 1:39pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
It will be about mental strength as much as the football. The pressure will be on so who can handle it? Probably need an early goal to settle things down and lift confidence and the crowd.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 57
FishOutOfWater
March 27, 2018, 1:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Heisenberg

I think you're forgetting something Heisenberg....

We were given assurances by JF that we'd have 20 more points in the bag by the end of the season.... we've already got one so with another seven games to go, six wins and a draw will do the trick. Simples
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 57
Heisenberg
March 27, 2018, 2:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

We were given assurances by JF that we'd have 20 more points in the bag by the end of the season.... we've already got one so with another seven games to go, six wins and a draw will do the trick. Simples

What a shambolic situation we find ourselves in!  The club were very much hanging all their hopes on that gap (was it 14 points?) being enough of a buffer, but a good deal of people on here could see this scenario coming and said so months ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 57
FishOutOfWater
March 27, 2018, 2:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Heisenberg

What a shambolic situation we find ourselves in!  The club were very much hanging all their hopes on that gap (was it 14 points?) being enough of a buffer, but a good deal of people on here could see this scenario coming and said so months ago.

You're dead right Heisenberg

I checked the other night as to the first time relegation crossed my mind...

I had sent a tweet to RH about it. 6th January after the Morecambe game

Yet Fenty smugly allowed Slade another month or more after that, while all the time we were up the creek without a paddle, heading for a fall in to oblivion

Total mismanagement and if/when we go down, nobody should ever forget or forgive why it's happened
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 21 - 57
Yoda
March 27, 2018, 2:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,121
Gold Stars: 71
Slade should have gone after Morecambe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 57
FishOutOfWater
March 27, 2018, 2:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Yoda
Slade should have gone after Morecambe.

Can't disagree Yoda

It was clear that following the previous month's performances and results that he didn't have a clue

Building something? What a joke!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 57
Madeleymariner
March 27, 2018, 6:12pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,048
Gold Stars: 49
I was saying we would get relegated around Sept when we went half a dozen games finishing with 10 men, and a month later saying it was just like Port Fail last season only scoring once every few games (they were still top half of League 1 at Christmas but with the lowest shots ratio in the league) and went down. and though not getting hammered both goals wise and playwise, our inability to score regularly would be our downfall. Of course lots of red crosses for such thoughts in those days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 57
Ipswin
March 27, 2018, 6:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Madeleymariner
I was saying we would get relegated around Sept when we went half a dozen games finishing with 10 men, and a month later saying it was just like Port Fail last season only scoring once every few games (they were still top half of League 1 at Christmas but with the lowest shots ratio in the league) and went down. and though not getting hammered both goals wise and playwise, our inability to score regularly would be our downfall. Of course lots of red crosses for such thoughts in those days.

I was wondering when the'I told you so' crowd would appear. September FFS? Really?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 57
Madeleymariner
March 27, 2018, 6:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I was wondering when the'I told you so' crowd would appear. September FFS?

Fraid so Swin, you could see then there was no real pace or guile in the team and the lack of good football and regular positive results backed it up.
I really hope Jolly can keep us up; so does the wife whos a Vale fan but fed up of my permanent Saturday grumpiness.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 57
Ipswin
March 27, 2018, 6:35pm
Vodka Drinker

Fraid so Swin, you could see then there was no real pace or guile in the team and the lack of good football and regular positive results backed it up.
I really hope Jolly can keep us up; so does the wife whos a Vale fan but fed up of my permanent Saturday grumpiness.

Did you post it here? Brave man if you did lots of red Xs I'll wager

OK I'll chip in with my prediction / fear, Michael Jolley will prove to be as poor an appointment as many of his predecessors

Private Message
Reply: 27 - 57
Madeleymariner
March 27, 2018, 7:14pm

Vodka Drinker
You may be right Swin, we will know about a 12 games into next season if he is a real duffer, but dont feel he can be clearly judged on the last few games. Yes I posted a few complaining about Slades awful signings tactics etc. but always got the give it time etc replies and red Xs. Water off a ducks back duck as they say round here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 57
sonofmadeleymariner
March 27, 2018, 7:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452

Thats nothing Dad as you well know I was saying it from the moment Slade was appointed, I didn't need till September. Now where are all those who were calling me a mad fool, surely I'm owed a fair few appologies  

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 57
Ipswin
March 27, 2018, 7:43pm
Vodka Drinker
You may be right Swin, we will know about a 12 games into next season if he is a real duffer, but dont feel he can be clearly judged on the last few games. Yes I posted a few complaining about Slades awful signings tactics etc. but always got the give it time etc replies and red Xs. Water off a ducks back duck as they say round here.

I'll reserve judgement until May next year as if he is judged any earlier the excuse will be 'its all Slade's fault look what he inherited'.

I had hoped that he had been brought in to save us from relegation this season (which hopefully he may well still do, presumably then all mention of it being Slade's squad will mysteriously disappear and it will all be down to Jolley) but whether we stay up or not I will make my appraisal on our position (be it Div 2 or National League) at the end of next season - assuming he stays that long!  

Private Message
Reply: 30 - 57
Ipswin
March 27, 2018, 7:44pm
Vodka Drinker

Thats nothing Dad as you well know I was saying it from the moment Slade was appointed, I didn't need till September. Now where are all those who were calling me a mad fool, surely I'm owed a fair few appologies  

Brave lad, you can get some right stick on here  for judging a new manager too soon (even when you are right)

Private Message
Reply: 31 - 57
IlkleyMariner
March 27, 2018, 8:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,976
Gold Stars: 68
Think we need to stop looking backwards. That's called History.

Think either way Fenty must go and get what he can from the shambles

We need to get behind the boys and hope MJ has got enough to survive this season.

If not hope he stays and rebuild but Fenty must go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 57
bawarmy
March 27, 2018, 9:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,953
Gold Stars: 31
Yeovil possibly have the hardest run in but are 5 points clear of us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 57
Pouton4ever
March 27, 2018, 10:16pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: -244
Lots potentially in the mix down there- no fat lady singing yet- 6 points for us and the same for chesterfield and start seeing Stevenage and Port Vale sweating- they are both on a bad run too

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:league-two/form/matches:6/type:home-and-away
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 57
moosey_club
March 27, 2018, 10:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,181
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Can you imagine the video message from Fenty Towers if that actually did now happen    ,  pan shot around the drawing room , stops at a high back leather swivel chair turned away from camera, the chair spins revealing a smugly smiling JF, large glass of brandy in one hand the other stroking a cat on his lap, beige roll neck jumper with a diamond encrusted gold fish medallion worn over the top ..... he clears his throat..

Yes Dale ..i just wanted to put this video out to belittle those social media bullies and keyboard warriors who have quite frankly slandered me over the last few months and subjected me and my family to unwarranted abuse despite the fact my key decision making and astute managerial appointment have secured our League status for another season....

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 57
toontown
March 27, 2018, 10:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 57
lew chaterleys lover
March 27, 2018, 11:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,645
Gold Stars: 233

All managerial appointments end in failure so you were bound to be right at some point. When we drew at Notts County mid December and we were a fraction outside of the play offs I don't think many on here were calling for him to be replaced.

Something happened shortly after that - probably news filtering through that in January we were going to let our best players go and not replace them and the board signalling as far as they were concerned the season was over.

We all have our likes and dislikes - I must admit I took an almost instant dislike to Bignot even though his results were much better than we are getting now. I suppose that what makes the game such a talking point.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 57
McAllisters Ghost
March 28, 2018, 1:05am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +42
One thing I do remember just before Christmas when we were doing OK, a couple of people posted some stats graphs about all the teams in league two. - can't remember who it was - but these stats graphs seemed to point out that despite our position in the table, we were one of the worst few teams.  

From what I remember the stats showed four things like times in opponents penno areas, number of shots, minutes to number of shots, and of course the opposite with opponents time in our half and other things.  We were in distinctly the wrong area on these graphs indicating we should be near the bottom on performances but weren't.

I really didn't give it much thought at the time as we were top half of the table - just thought it indicated that you could show anything you want with stats and it maybe proved they were a load of b*ll*x.  Of course now I look back at that and think that maybe this indicated how bad a team we were and we were in a false position at the time.  Doesn't help us now given where we are with hands tied and stuck with the squad we have but guess maybe some indication was there.  

Just hope something changes and we get some luck - just going in front in a game could make a bit difference and I dearly hope that happens on Friday.

Edit: The graph was something like this below

https://experimental361.com/2018/03/04/scatter-graphics-league-2-4-mar-2018/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 57
Davec
March 28, 2018, 7:27am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Well even after we beat Chesterfield on first game of season (thank god we did because it's atleast given us a tiny sniff of staying up) there were people saying it would be a struggle season because they absolutely dominated us and the warning signs were there but you had the usual people saying "give it time" and "we're a good team" etc, on September 9th I text a mate of mine who supports another league 2 club saying "we have a really poor team, we will be bottom 4" I don't know how to screenshot and post on here but I'm more than happy to forward the text onto people if you don't believe me, just PM me your number and I'll do it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 57
arryarryarry
March 28, 2018, 8:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,063
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from McAllisters Ghost
One thing I do remember just before Christmas when we were doing OK, a couple of people posted some stats graphs about all the teams in league two. - can't remember who it was - but these stats graphs seemed to point out that despite our position in the table, we were one of the worst few teams.  

From what I remember the stats showed four things like times in opponents penno areas, number of shots, minutes to number of shots, and of course the opposite with opponents time in our half and other things.  We were in distinctly the wrong area on these graphs indicating we should be near the bottom on performances but weren't.

I really didn't give it much thought at the time as we were top half of the table - just thought it indicated that you could show anything you want with stats and it maybe proved they were a load of b*ll*x.  Of course now I look back at that and think that maybe this indicated how bad a team we were and we were in a false position at the time.  Doesn't help us now given where we are with hands tied and stuck with the squad we have but guess maybe some indication was there.  

Just hope something changes and we get some luck - just going in front in a game could make a bit difference and I dearly hope that happens on Friday.

Edit: The graph was something like this below

https://experimental361.com/2018/03/04/scatter-graphics-league-2-4-mar-2018/

After the Morecambe game you didn't need stats or graphs, it was clear to many that there was only one way GTFC were heading.

It's a pity that the tossers that run this club were too flipping stupid to realise that and sack Slade then.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 57
ginnywings
March 28, 2018, 9:32am

Recovering Alcoholic
Yep, the Morecambe game should have sent the board into action. It wasn't just the defeat, it was the manner of it. Trouble being that there are no football men on the board, so they just see a disappointing loss. Me and my brother were discussing a lack of desire and players not going with runners. Ellison being completely unmarked and having all the time in the world to pick his spot. The signs were not good at all and haven't improved since. We'd already been handed our ar$es at home by Accrington, and when we lost to Newport, also at home, that was last chance saloon; there was still a bit of the window left. The response was to further back Slade and ship more players out of the club. That's why they will get no more support from me, or my brother.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 57
Ipswin
March 28, 2018, 10:57am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

Can you imagine the video message from Fenty Towers if that actually did now happen    ,  pan shot around the drawing room , stops at a high back leather swivel chair turned away from camera, the chair spins revealing a smugly smiling JF, large glass of brandy in one hand the other stroking a cat on his lap, beige roll neck jumper with a diamond encrusted gold fish medallion worn over the top ..... he clears his throat..

Yes Dale ..i just wanted to put this video out to belittle those social media bullies and keyboard warriors who have quite frankly slandered me over the last few months and subjected me and my family to unwarranted abuse despite the fact my key decision making and astute managerial appointment have secured our League status for another season....

I'd put up with that if we stayed up

Private Message
Reply: 42 - 57
Civvy at last
March 28, 2018, 11:08am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,200
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from ginnywings
Yep, the Morecambe game should have sent the board into action. It wasn't just the defeat, it was the manner of it. Trouble being that there are no football men on the board, so they just see a disappointing loss. Me and my brother were discussing a lack of desire and players not going with runners. Ellison being completely unmarked and having all the time in the world to pick his spot. The signs were not good at all and haven't improved since. We'd already been handed our ar$es at home by Accrington, and when we lost to Newport, also at home, that was last chance saloon; there was still a bit of the window left. The response was to further back Slade and ship more players out of the club. That's why they will get no more support from me, or my brother.

It's almost as if the board weren't bothered if we got relegated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 57
RichMariner
March 28, 2018, 11:42am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,128
Gold Stars: 209
Even when we were on the brink of the play-offs I didn't feel comfortable about the season.

I really didn't see us struggling this much, I must admit - but we just weren't playing well. Even when we won, we weren't convincing, and it was never pretty.

If you're not enjoying watching victories then something's wrong. It was just difficult to explain at the time because you'd always be reminded of our (then) league position.

Having five players sent off in our first five games of the season was a warning sign, though. Total ill-discipline in the camp, and crucially out on the pitch. The first sign of a lack of leadership.

Of course, it's easy to say how we all saw it coming. I know that. But I know what I felt at the time, too. I was always uneasy about Slade - not necessarily over how bad he'd be, but the way Bignot was shoved to one side to make way for him.

Totally underwhelmed by his summer recruitment but, again, you give the bloke a chance. Hurst signed plenty of unknowns that turned out to be good.

But the real worry point was when we stopped scoring - way before this run started. All those 0-0s at home (three on the trot, four in five was it?).

It was a reflection of how boring Slade had got his team to play.

But if you're not scoring, you're in trouble. No team stays up by not scoring. The best you can hope for is grinding out 0-0s, but they're no use now.

You simply have to be able to stick the ball in the net - because if you can, no matter how rubbish you are at the back you'll always feel like you're in the game when you can score at the other end.

No goals = no hope. That's what needs to change.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 44 - 57
Mighty_Mariner
March 28, 2018, 11:46am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
I personally think that the board's lack of football knowledge showed massively. We all knew results were average but many of us could see that performances were well below par and we were riding our luck in games where we'd scraped wins and draws. The situation we find ourselves in could be spotted a mile off, but unfortunately not by those in power.

The naivety and arrogance of our situation and league position from the board is staggering and the blame lies firmly at their door for not recognising this and acting before or during the January transfer window. If MJ had been appointed early January and allowed time to assess the squad and make necessary changes in playing personnel then I don't think we'd be in the position we are now.

They clearly didn't want to be proved wrong with Slade, and but he wasn't even making drastic changes to improved our situation -  how did the board not see this.

Definition of insanity 'Doing the same thing and expecting different results' explains Slades team selections and tactics very well IMO.

Just my opinion though.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 57
TownSNAFU5
March 28, 2018, 12:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,831
Stevenage's appalling home performance and defeat last week to Colchester is also worth hijacking this thread for.  Re: "Stevenage Players - Hang your head in shame".  A long thread on one of their sites. (Views 1462).

They are no better than we are based on their last performance.

"It ranked as one of the worst performances at home this season. Disjointed, lack of tempo, lack of movement, lack of ideas. No spark whatsoever.

Revell looked like a bad Tim stills, no relationship or understanding with Newton whatsoever

Martin was particularly woeful as was Wilko. King not a lot better.

Even McKee gave the ball away a lot. Right to bring Amos on, Goddard was quiet but I'd have hooked someone else.

Nervous in front of the new gaffer?

Tired after working to hard to impress?

Not interested?

Failure to understand or implement what Dino wanted?

Or just a bad day at the office?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 57
LH
March 28, 2018, 12:49pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,461
Gold Stars: 172
The last game we won vs FGR we were awful against ten men for an hour and probably didn’t deserve to win! Even at that point we were far below the average goals scored in the division (I seem to remember being the fourth worst GF but ninth in the table).
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 57
McAllisters Ghost
March 28, 2018, 5:04pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +42
Quoted from arryarryarry

After the Morecambe game you didn't need stats or graphs, it was clear to many that there was only one way GTFC were heading.

It's a pity that the tossers that run this club were too flipping stupid to realise that and sack Slade then.

Completely agree arry, after Morecambe turned us over it was pretty obvious. What I was trying to say was that even before that and before Christmas when we were further up the table there were signs of how poor we were.

But of course for the tossers to do that it would involve admitting to a mistake and we know how likely it is that the board would admit that, it would somehow be the fans fault.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 57
Gaffer58
March 28, 2018, 6:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,083
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Civvy at last

It's almost as if the board weren't bothered if we got relegated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been thinking about this and you wonder if they were not that bothered if it happened. They would save on wages, cheaper weekly wage in conference and they only get paid for the season. Parachute payment evidently same for first year as where we are now. A better chance of another Wembley visit, either FA Vase or playoff final. The downside would be lower  attendances but if we are winning they would recover back to 4000 plus, smaller  visiting numbers but the police bill would be lower, oh wait we don't pay for any police in the ground this year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 57
Cloudy
March 28, 2018, 6:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Gaffer58

I've been thinking about this and you wonder if they were not that bothered if it happened. They would save on wages, cheaper weekly wage in conference and they only get paid for the season. Parachute payment evidently same for first year as where we are now. A better chance of another Wembley visit, either FA Vase or playoff final. The downside would be lower  attendances but if we are winning they would recover back to 4000 plus, smaller  visiting numbers but the police bill would be lower, oh wait we don't pay for any police in the ground this year.

Don't see the board would be better off in or out of the FL. They don't put any money in either way
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 57
rancido
March 28, 2018, 7:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,518
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Heisenberg

A very similar situation the last season Buckley Mk3 was in charge. Both Luton and Rotherham had huge points deductions that season. To all intents and purposes it looked like we were just treading water and saving on recruitment because it looked like ( to the powers that be at the club anyway ) that we wouldn't be threatened with relegation that season. Rotherham made up their points loss, Luton almost did and I seem to recall it was a close thing for us at the end of the season. You think those " knowledgeable " people at the club would have learned from that !

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 57
Heisenberg
March 28, 2018, 8:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from rancido

A very similar situation the last season Buckley Mk3 was in charge. Both Luton and Rotherham had huge points deductions that season. To all intents and purposes it looked like we were just treading water and saving on recruitment because it looked like ( to the powers that be at the club anyway ) that we wouldn't be threatened with relegation that season. Rotherham made up their points loss, Luton almost did and I seem to recall it was a close thing for us at the end of the season. You think those " knowledgeable " people at the club would have learned from that !

Didn’t Rotherham have something like a 15 point deduction and they caught us in October?!! The mind plays tricks after time, but I remember it was something embarrassing like that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 57
Abdul19
March 28, 2018, 8:15pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,504
Gold Stars: 215
17 and yes!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 57
ginnywings
March 28, 2018, 8:33pm

Recovering Alcoholic
There were 4 teams docked points that season and 3 of them overtook us. 30 points proving too much for Luton to make up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 57
AndyDarloFC
March 28, 2018, 9:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from ginnywings
There were 4 teams docked points that season and 3 of them overtook us. 30 points proving too much for Luton to make up.

Were we docked 10 points halfway through that season if I remember rightly, if we'd had those 10 points - I am positive we'd have finished 4/5th  

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 55 - 57
ginnywings
March 28, 2018, 10:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from AndyDarloFC

Were we docked 10 points halfway through that season if I remember rightly, if we'd had those 10 points - I am positive we'd have finished 4/5th  

You lost 10 points in Jan, without which you would have finished 6th and a play off spot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 57
KingstonMariner
March 29, 2018, 10:35pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

Don't know if was you, but I remember a couple of people posting words to that effect early in the season. Results were decent but there wasn't the confidence inducing performance behind them. Shades of 2001-02 I think someone said.

Well let's hope the outcome is the same. Mind you, look what happened in the next two years  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 57
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Port vale

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.