Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What can we do to help?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 298 Guests

What can we do to help?

This thread currently has 5,891 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
March 26, 2018, 8:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226

I remember last time we went down I was willing, cajoling the players to keep us up. Cheering every attack and going mad every time we scored or the rivals for the drop messed up.

All I am doing this year is moaning on here more; it drains you in a way, the sure knowledge that we will always be in a mess till we get new owners, and even then it might be too late for the club as a whole.

I still use my season ticket but the passion has gone, at least for now. A relationship without passion is just a friendship and that is what the club and I are - just friends and not my all consuming passion.

Gallows humour from the fans seem to suggest they know whats coming; there doesn't seem to be the will to survive that there should be. Chesterfield have got the bit between their teeth after yesterday and will move heaven and earth to get out of it - can we match them?

I really feel for Jolley coming into this, but he has got to get them fired up for Fridays match which we must win. Things could look much better with just a win, and perhaps the fight to stay up will return.

similar feelings....i think the fans are resigned to it....we have known since mid December that we were heading only one way yet the board refused to accept it....JF waived his self declared 6 game rule to give his mate a chance...he leads the board..they followed suit and any glimmer of hope we had was gone in January.
While no supporter wants us to get relegated i think people are coming almost to accept it as they think it would be the end of JF....personally i think he would see non league as a way of potentially increasing profit ( in his head we would be a top 5 side, more likely to get a run in the trophy, pay players less ) and maybe pay off some of his loans as a result.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 39
BS baffles brains
March 26, 2018, 9:08pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from moosey_club

similar feelings....i think the fans are resigned to it....we have known since mid December that we were heading only one way yet the board refused to accept it....JF waived his self declared 6 game rule to give his mate a chance...he leads the board..they followed suit and any glimmer of hope we had was gone in January.
While no supporter wants us to get relegated i think people are coming almost to accept it as they think it would be the end of JF....personally i think he would see non league as a way of potentially increasing profit ( in his head we would be a top 5 side, more likely to get a run in the trophy, pay players less ) and maybe pay off some of his loans as a result.

I can't see that myself, if town were to loose 1500 season ticket holders, that's over 500k lost, with the commercial department struggling to sell the club, i can only believe we would have a decreasing budget; Therefore attracting further poor quality players, a spiral of failure,  possibly emulating York or Stockport Or Darlington,  No profit in relegation, and parachute payments lost paying the current crop of shite.          
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 39
Fishbone
March 27, 2018, 11:14am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +172
A quick summary of some of the suggestions - are any of them worth acting upon - fans, club, trust?

Crowd size
•     Aim for 6000+ gates
Attendance pricing for last 3 games
•     Child free places
•     Entry for adults priced at £10 (or less)
•     OR last 3 homes games should be £5 adults and £1 kids
•     OR half-price admission to the last three home games
•     OR buy one get one free for a friend
Vocal support
•     Be as vocal as possible from the first whistle (and before)
•     Have ‘song leaders’ in each stand leading the singing
Building player-fan rapport and awareness of the fans passion
•     Make the players aware that they could be heroes in the eyes of about 25,000 + fans (guesstimate total fans including those who don’t attend)
•     Open McMenemy's, a big quiz or karaoke. A player on each table, the players should mingle with the fans... They need to see what this club means to us all and buy into that.
•     Opportunities to show the passion of the fans
Pre-match and half time
•     Involve the crowd before or at half time like they used to do.  Crossbar challenge, spinning penalties etc...
•     Let the manager know we’re behind him
Cheating!/distraction
•     Blindfold the Stevenage Keeper!?!
•     Food poisoning!?!
•     Show them our bras
OK, so we can’t resort to all of these (except the bras) but can we make things more intimidating and uncomfortable for the visiting team/players?

I must admit, perhaps the most striking response was the feeling of resignation. I hope it's too early for this and that we might be able to do something, anything, to give the team even a 1% lift.
UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 39
lew chaterleys lover
March 27, 2018, 11:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Fishbone
A quick summary of some of the suggestions - are any of them worth acting upon - fans, club, trust?

Crowd size
•     Aim for 6000+ gates
•     Child free places
Vocal support
•     Make the players aware that they could be heroes in the eyes of about 25,000 + fans (guesstimate total fans including those who don’t attend)
•     Open McMenemy's, a big quiz or karaoke. A player on each table, the players should mingle with the fans... They need to see what this club means to us all and buy into that.
Pre-match and half time
•     Involve the crowd before or at half time like they used to do.  Crossbar challenge, spinning penalties etc...
Cheating!/distraction
•     Food poisoning!?!
•     Show them our bras
OK, so we can’t resort to all of these (except the bras) but can we make things more intimidating and uncomfortable for the visiting team/players?

I must admit, perhaps the most striking response was the feeling of resignation. I hope it's too early for this and that we might be able to do something, anything, to give the team even a 1% lift.
UTM!

If you think I am going to show the opposition my wifes bras for a 1% lift you have another thing coming. Mind you come to think of it she gets a 100% lift from them so perhaps not such a bad idea after all.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 39
moosey_club
March 27, 2018, 12:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Fishbone

Crowd size
•     Aim for 6000+ gates     Lets advertise we are playing Man Utd and you might get that
•     Child free places
Vocal support
•     Make the players aware that they could be heroes in the eyes of about 25,000 + fans (guesstimate total fans including those who don’t attend)    Too late for that...the players have had nigh on 40 games to set an impression
•     Open McMenemy's, a big quiz or karaoke. A player on each table, the players should mingle with the fans... They need to see what this club means to us all and buy into that.     Again too late in the day....one for next pre season though with the next batch of players
Pre-match and half time
•     Involve the crowd before or at half time like they used to do.  Crossbar challenge, spinning penalties etc... Winner gets to start against Chesterfield
Cheating!/distraction
•     Food poisoning!?!
•     Show them our bras

I must admit, perhaps the most striking response was the feeling of resignation. I hope it's too early for this and that we might be able to do something, anything, to give the team even a 1% lift.  Just another 88% to find then to get them anywhere near good enough
UTM!

Maybe we should follow the example of Barnstoneworth who on a terrible run recalled former greats MacIntyre, Treadmore and Davitt.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 39
Fishbone
March 27, 2018, 1:05pm
Lager Top Drinker

If you think I am going to show the opposition my wifes bras for a 1% lift you have another thing coming. Mind you come to think of it she gets a 100% lift from them so perhaps not such a bad idea after all.

Oh no, not another reply about things going t*ts up  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 39
Fishbone
March 27, 2018, 1:14pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

Maybe we should follow the example of Barnstoneworth who on a terrible run recalled former greats MacIntyre, Treadmore and Davitt.

I fear if we are relegated, the Foggen Scrap company will take over and name the new site of its crushing mill on BP after the club - the Mariners Crushing Mill - how apt?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 39
chicaneuk
March 27, 2018, 1:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,486
Gold Stars: 5
How can we help? Not berating and insulting our players would help.

I understand there are frustrations, but at the end of Saturdays game, there were a small group (and I hasten to add it was a small group at least) who went down the front to hurl abuse and make gestures at the players who came over to applaud the fans.

I'm not sure how many more times it needs to be said. The players are well aware of the position the club are in, and that they really need to start landing some results. And I won't even make the defense that we have an awesome team - it's clear that it's really not a great squad, for whatever reason.

But it's now become a psychological battle and positivity is a valuable weapon which will help make or break the next few games.

Screaming abuse at them, making obscene hand gestures achieves precisely NOTHING and only serves to help expedite our nosedive back into non-league. Not sure why that's so flipping hard to get through to some people.

Yeah - we're all frustrated. But this is the very definition of cutting your nose off to spite your face. You're making it worse. Stop it. I also want to reiterate here that I'm not "blaming the fans" for the terrible situation on the pitch; I'm not... I'm blaming a small subset for not helping!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 39
ginnywings
March 27, 2018, 1:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Sadly, you're wasting your breath chicane. There will always be a small element that hurl abuse at all and sundry. It does nothing but it won't stop them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 39
FishOutOfWater
March 27, 2018, 1:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Child free places would be a good start as well as entry for adults priced at £10, I’m sure the season ticket holders could understand this given the circumstances, we need Blundell Park packed to the rafters for the remaining home games.

This would get my backing Chris

Anything that puts bums on seats to give the team more support has to be worthwhile

I accept that the club could potentially lose some revenue by doing it but the finances here might need to take a back seat if the club want the fans to "pack the park"

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What can we do to help?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.