Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Worst goal difference in the entire division.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 172 Guests

Worst goal difference in the entire division.

This thread currently has 2,485 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
March 25, 2018, 4:27pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,026
Gold Stars: 194

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
March 25, 2018, 4:33pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
You tend to have the worst GD when you can't score and you ship goals by the shed load.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
GrimRob
March 25, 2018, 5:22pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,399
Gold Stars: 113
I haven't worked it out but I bet its worse per game under MJ than under RS or PW. We're getting worse if anything as the fight just seems to have left us.  

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 13
Mrs Doyle
March 25, 2018, 5:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
FFS Give the bloke a chance he is trying to sort this shat out it's the players who need to up their game only they can make a real diference are they really that shat???
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
arryarryarry
March 25, 2018, 5:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
FFS Give the bloke a chance he is trying to sort this shat out it's the players who need to up their game only they can make a real diference are they really that shat???

Looking at the goal from the free kick this part zonal marking looks a pile of excrement so he should dump that.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
Ipswin
March 25, 2018, 5:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

But isn't it up to Jolley to get the players to up their game?

If they are so shite that its impossible and no one could, then why have we changed manager?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
sonofmadeleymariner
March 25, 2018, 6:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Ipswin

But isn't it up to Jolley to get the players to up their game?

If they are so shite that its impossible and no one could, then why have we changed manager?

As a coach you can only get as much out of a player as they are willing to give and can give, I do think most of the players are giving all they've got and sadly theres nothing more that Jolley can get out of them as Slade has assembled some god awful players.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
GrimRob
March 25, 2018, 6:38pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,399
Gold Stars: 113

As a coach you can only get as much out of a player as they are willing to give and can give, I do think most of the players are giving all they've got and sadly theres nothing more that Jolley can get out of them as Slade has assembled some god awful players.

Question is how the hell did this team win the games they did? After 21 games (almost half the season) we were level on points with the play-offs on 32 points. We've only managed 5 points in the 18 games since then.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 13
toontown
March 25, 2018, 7:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,268
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from GrimRob

Question is how the hell did this team win the games they did? After 21 games (almost half the season) we were level on points with the play-offs on 32 points. We've only managed 5 points in the 18 games since then.

This keeps getting asked but to me there a few reasons that really stand out:

- we had Jones who could score a few
- we had Dembele playing really well, people complain about lack of end product but he had a few goals and assists, more than practically all our other players.  Teams were recognising his ability and putting one or two players on him which helped to reduce other teams threat to us.
-  A few of the older players are at the age that their bodies cant keep going for a full season, Collins and Davies in particular were good enough earlier in the season but have faded badly. Clarke was mediocre earlier in the season, as the season has gone on he has faded to absolute dog  excrement.

To a lesser extent:
- Macca being out during some of the second half of the season probably exacerbated the winless run and drove down confidence
- Summerfield was in the form of his life, he gave us energy and broke up the opposition attacks a fair bit, don't think he has been quite as good since (or always available)

Just my thoughts...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
lew chaterleys lover
March 25, 2018, 7:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,693
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from toontown

This keeps getting asked but to me there a few reasons that really stand out:

- we had Jones who could score a few
- we had Dembele playing really well, people complain about lack of end product but he had a few goals and assists, more than practically all our other players.  Teams were recognising his ability and putting one or two players on him which helped to reduce other teams threat to us.
-  A few of the older players are at the age that their bodies cant keep going for a full season, Collins and Davies in particular were good enough earlier in the season but have faded badly. Clarke was mediocre earlier in the season, as the season has gone on he has faded to absolute dog  excrement.

To a lesser extent:
- Macca being out during some of the second half of the season probably exacerbated the winless run and drove down confidence
- Summerfield was in the form of his life, he gave us energy and broke up the opposition attacks a fair bit, don't think he has been quite as good since (or always available)

Just my thoughts...

The team would have continued to pick up points but the board (Fenty) cocked it up.

They thought we were safe, and when the play offs started to slip away they looked towards next season.

They obviously told Slade to slash the wage bill. They allowed the sale of our most creative players to save a few quid.

They didn't keep their promise of better recruitment in the window (presumably they didn't want to pay the going rate) and my guess is that the remaining players took their foot off the gas. Once a signal is given in professional sport that the manager / non chairman are looking to the next season players realise that they are unlikely to be needed at the end of the season once their contracts are up. The will to win is diminished and team spirit drops. Once the rot sets in it is difficult to stop which is why I have said weeks ago on here we will go down.

This is were Fenty really is a bungling amateur. Everything to him is about saving a few pounds. He never looks at the bigger picture and hence we will be relegated again out of the league altogether in the space of 4 league campaigns. It would have been 3 relegations had it not been for Luton's points deduction.  
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
Gaffer58
March 25, 2018, 7:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
Just a thought on Slade, if Fenty instructed him to sell the high earners then, we continued on the winless streak hence eventually Slade getting the sack, do you think Fenty had to give him a little bonus to keep quiet, or won't Slade criticise Fenty.

As for Jolley, I assume he is on the mandatory 6 month rolling contract, if we are finally relegated will Fenty keep or get rid?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 13
cleethorpes_mariner
March 25, 2018, 7:56pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +313

The team would have continued to pick up points but the board (Fenty) cocked it up.

They thought we were safe, and when the play offs started to slip away they looked towards next season.

They obviously told Slade to slash the wage bill. They allowed the sale of our most creative players to save a few quid.

They didn't keep their promise of better recruitment in the window (presumably they didn't want to pay the going rate) and my guess is that the remaining players took their foot off the gas. Once a signal is given in professional sport that the manager / non chairman are looking to the next season players realise that they are unlikely to be needed at the end of the season once their contracts are up. The will to win is diminished and team spirit drops. Once the rot sets in it is difficult to stop which is why I have said weeks ago on here we will go down.

This is were Fenty really is a bungling amateur. Everything to him is about saving a few pounds. He never looks at the bigger picture and hence we will be relegated again out of the league altogether in the space of 4 league campaigns. It would have been 3 relegations had it not been for Luton's points deduction.  

NO it would still have been two but one year earlier, cant get relegated from the same division two years running

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 13
ginnywings
March 25, 2018, 8:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548

NO it would still have been two but one year earlier, cant get relegated from the same division two years running

True, but the warning signs were not heeded. We had a massive flashing red light, yet still somehow contrived to repeat it the next season. It was a great laugh being in a league 2 relegation battle for a full 2 seasons straight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 13
lew chaterleys lover
March 25, 2018, 8:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,693
Gold Stars: 236

Phew thank God for that. What would we do without Fenty masterminding the situation to our advantage by being unable to be relegated from the same division two years running.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Worst goal difference in the entire division.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.