March 25, 2018, 10:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,884
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Bigdog

Definitely not..

But if he walks away at the end of the season and we employ a chief exec to replace him, the atmosphere around the town will lift, gates will jump dramatically, season ticket sales will at least hold firm resulting in a spike in income which will mean a much larger playing budget than if JF stays. Who knows, with him out of the way, external investors may finally be prepared to show their hand..

Exactly this!

Remember Alec King in the late 70's early 80's? the right person makes such a difference.

Though it has to be said we have a chief exec who in essence just appears to be the club secretary.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
Bigdog
March 25, 2018, 11:12am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Exactly this!

Remember Alec King in the late 70's early 80's? the right person makes such a difference.

Though it has to be said we have a chief exec who in essence just appears to be the club secretary.

If we could appoint a forward thinking Alec King type who would be given a free reign alongside a forward thinking Micheal Jolley, we may just have a chance of a brighter future..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
GrimRob
March 25, 2018, 11:23am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from 11MARINER11
Been watching town for 40 years . Played semi professional . IMO Barnet and Chesterfield will go down . trust me they are worse that us.

I am not saying you are wrong but how much have you watched Barnet and Chesterfield this season?

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 22
Ipswin
March 25, 2018, 11:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Bigdog

Definitely not..

But if he walks away at the end of the season and we employ a chief exec to replace him, the atmosphere around the town will lift, gates will jump dramatically, season ticket sales will at least hold firm resulting in a spike in income which will mean a much larger playing budget than if JF stays. Who knows, with him out of the way, external investors may finally be prepared to show their hand..

But can we really expect him to walk away? Would you?

I think the gates and therefore income will depend more on where we are playing (league or non-league) than on whether Fenty is still in situ

Jolley must have realised before he took the job (unless he was so desperate to get a mangers post that he didn't really consider it carefully) that he was going to have to run the club on the cheap, no big transfer fees just frees and loans (again). I just hope his eye for a player is better than Slades. If he goes down the young untried route (Burnley U23 lads on loan or released for example) we may have to wait a while and grit our teeth even more until the turn around comes.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
HertsGTFC
March 25, 2018, 11:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,884
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Ipswin

I think the gates and therefore income will depend more on where we are playing (league or non-league) than on whether Fenty is still in situ

Jolley must have realised before he took the job (unless he was so desperate to get a mangers post that he didn't really consider it carefully) that he was going to have to run the club on the cheap, no big transfer fees just frees and loans (again). I just hope his eye for a player is better than Slades. If he goes down the young untried route (Burnley U23 lads on loan or released for example) we may have to wait a while and grit our teeth even more until the turn around comes.

Oddly enough he's got more chance of getting his money back or at least some of it if someone else came in.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
ginnywings
March 25, 2018, 11:45am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Ipswin

Been doing that for years. I won't hold my breath as nothing ever changes for the better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
grimsby pete
March 25, 2018, 11:57am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Whether we stay up or go down money will be tight as always if Fenty is still here,

The only good thing we have to look forward to is,

Jolley will bring in a better quality faster younger player in,

Hopefully about 15 of them.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
Ipswin
March 25, 2018, 12:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Oddly enough he's got more chance of getting his money back or at least some of it if someone else came in.

Of course I agree entirely but I was responding to the 'walk away' phrase taking it literally, which of course he isn't going to do. He is clearly under pressure from all sides to go but In don't think he has reached the point (and if he has any sense he never will) where he waves goodbye to his investment

Personally I am not that bothered who comes in (I certainly don't want 'Shut up' Marley deciding whether they are suitable or not, if you believe what he said at the Fans Forum) but the benign debt will be a major obstacle

Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
Bigdog
March 25, 2018, 12:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Ipswin

Of course I agree entirely but I was responding to the 'walk away' phrase taking it literally, which of course he isn't going to do. He is clearly under pressure from all sides to go but In don't think he has reached the point (and if he has any sense he never will) where he waves goodbye to his investment

Personally I am not that bothered who comes in (I certainly don't want 'Shut up' Marley deciding whether they are suitable or not, if you believe what he said at the Fans Forum) but the benign debt will be a major obstacle

I'll specify "walk away"

Identify exactly a reasonable compromise figure regarding the loan and his shares which will clearly quantify his exit on monetary terms..

Have no influence on any decision making at the club whatsoever from that point..

It's like he's invested in a classic car, priced it too high so no one will buy it while carrying out the repairs himself when he's not a qualified mechanic so it makes the car even more undesirable and lower in value as time goes by..

Something has to change to break that cycle..

He holds all the cards, is only hurting himself and pushing the chance of getting his money back further and further away..

There's more than his £2m at stake, there's his reputation and lifetime legacy at stake too..

Does he want to be vilified for trying to hang on to all of the £2m which the vast majority doesn't think he deserves..

And at the same time ruin GTFC and the dreams of thousands of fans for what is looking like at least or generation or two?

He is never going to be the messiah he always dreamed he would be..

The sooner he realises it, the better for everyone including himself..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
Ipswin
March 25, 2018, 1:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

There's more than his £2m at stake, there's his reputation and lifetime legacy at stake too..

Does he want to be vilified for trying to hang on to all of the £2m which the vast majority doesn't think he deserves..

And at the same time ruin GTFC and the dreams of thousands of fans for what is looking like at least or generation or two?

I don't think any of these three bother him as much as the cash and anyway if he was to go tomorrow he would still be vilified and never allowed to forget his mistakes.

He will always be remembered for everything bad that has happened in the last 15 years or so, apart from the money therefore he has nowt to gain (other than getting rid of a headache)

The few who recall how he bailed the club out will always be shouted down

Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › As predicted

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.