This thread currently has 4,345 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
11MARINER11
March 25, 2018, 8:52am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: -55
Everyone who knows a bit about footie and the majority on the fishy knew deep down we wer never gonna get anything from the last 2 games . cant understand the shock and horror from some fans . I think if we beat Barnet and chesterfield at home we stay up . thats without the possibility of picking the odd point up against Stevenage and other remaining games . Barnet are down IMO . even if they improve its to late for them . Chesterfield are as bad as us ( probs worse ) and wont catch us if we beat them at home . then a massive rebuild for next season and get to see a Jolly team not a Slade team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
arryarryarry
March 25, 2018, 9:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from 11MARINER11
Everyone who knows a bit about footie and the majority on the fishy knew deep down we wer never gonna get anything from the last 2 games . cant understand the shock and horror from some fans . I think if we beat Barnet and chesterfield at home we stay up . thats without the possibility of picking the odd point up against Stevenage and other remaining games . Barnet are down IMO . even if they improve its to late for them . Chesterfield are as bad as us ( probs worse ) and wont catch us if we beat them at home . then a massive rebuild for next season and get to see a Jolly team not a Slade team.

Do you get to many games, it's not the fact we were playing teams that are well above us it is the way we lose, absolutely shite defending with no possibility of getting anything out of the game when we go one nil down.

Yes we can stay up but we need to win both games against Chesterfield and Barnet but that is much easier said than done.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
ginnywings
March 25, 2018, 9:50am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
I agree it was a tall order to get anything from those two games, but the fact we were outplayed at home by Port Vale, and totally capitulated against Lincoln and Coventry, conceding soft goals, is what is more worrying for me. If we went down fighting and lost by a goal, it would give you a bit more hope. Only positive for me is that i think MJ has perhaps been experimenting a bit in those games, and preparing for the more winnable fixtures. Pretty much stuck to the script for his first game and would have taken advice from others on team selection for that one. Since then, he has radically changed personnel and formations before and during the two away games. I'm hoping he has now got a plan for the more winnable ones, starting Friday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
11MARINER11
March 25, 2018, 10:05am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: -55
Been watching town for 40 years . Played semi professional . IMO Barnet and Chesterfield will go down . trust me they are worse that us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
Bigdog
March 25, 2018, 10:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from 11MARINER11

It depends on how much MJ is held back.

Hurst had another dig on Sky Sports News last night about how he's now working with honest, professional and supportive people who are pulling in the same direction..

We may be upgrading on managers, but while GTFC is still GTFC, we can't expect too much..

One season apart, we've only ever known relegation, non-league or struggling in League Two for the past fifteen years..

Managers have come and gone, but there's been only one common denominator..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
dapperz fun pub
March 25, 2018, 10:26am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from Bigdog

Hurst had another dig on Sky Sports News last night about how he's now working with honest, professional and supportive people who are pulling in the same direction..

We may be upgrading on managers, but while GTFC is still GTFC, we can't expect too much..

One season apart, we've only ever known relegation, non-league or struggling in League Two for the past fifteen years..

Managers have come and gone, but there's only one common denominator..

Seems to me Hurst can't forget about us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
Stadium
March 25, 2018, 10:35am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,913
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Seems to me Hurst can't forget about us

Well he's certainly having the last laugh.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
HertsGTFC
March 25, 2018, 10:41am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,636
Gold Stars: 217
We are bad really bad at the moment, yes Chesterfield and Barnet may be below us in the league but whether or not they are any worse or better than us I doubt to be honest. I also think that we need more than just beating both of those at BP.

If we escape this season we'll only struggle again next term as the manager won't be backed and when I say backed I mean with the reasonable finance to replace the dead wood with the right blend of players to move us forward, no world beaters, no marquee signings, no hairs on the back of the neck additions and more importantly no journeymen who can't get a club, we just need fit, competent players with the right attitude and commitment MJ will do the rest.

In all honesty I can't see JF moving away any day soon if he really wanted to he would have gone before now and the loans could still stay in place. Whether or not he is involved day to day is immaterial with regard to getting any money back. If he walked away now you could pay an experienced general manager level replacement to take over the operational stuff as experience tells us in relativity this board have no football expertise or imagination.  

I appreciate he has put his own personal money in at certain points but in reality how much has he and the other directors  put in over the last couple of seasons? Very little I would imagine. More importantly how much inward investment have they secured, again very little.

The gates and player sales have propped us up and now we are in a position where the numbers are dropping and the squad is worth effectively nothing, in fact the 2 year deals for the Slade geriatrics make the task even harder.

Regardless of the last 2 results if Chesterfield win their games in hand they will have the momentum that we have so far never really gained this season and this leap frog us to safety.

Brace yourselves ladies & gents as I personally don't believe GTFC will ever be the same again after this disaster.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
Ipswin
March 25, 2018, 10:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Bigdog

Are we making excuses for him already? I presume we are talking money, where do we expect it to come from? Notwithstanding the member ups in the past 15 years just how much do we expect Fenty (if its still him) to put in cash-wise next season.

We surely don't want Fenty to put in more cash and increase the benign loan - do we?

In the highly unlikely event that there is a new owner be it an individual or a Far East conglomerate they are not going to pump in huge amounts for a totally inexperienced manager to build a lower 2nd division or worse National League team

Jolley must have known, lets face it he only had to look around BP to realise, that the club, unless its from Fenty, has no money, it's on the bones of its bottom. Everything has to be done on the cheap  (it may be why he got the job)

Hopefully Jolley will spend whatever is made available more wisely than Slade and might call in some Burnley contacts

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
Bigdog
March 25, 2018, 10:50am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Ipswin

Are we making excuses for him already? I presume we are talking money, where do we expect it to come from? Notwithstanding the member ups in the past 15 years just how much do we expect Fenty (if its still him) to put in cash-wise next season.

We surely don't want Fenty to put in more cash and increase the benign loan - do we?

In the highly unlikely event that there is a new owner be it an individual or a Far East conglomerate they are not going to pump in huge amounts to build a lower 2nd division or worse National League team

Jolley must have known, lets face it he only had to look around BP to realise, that the club, unless its from Fenty, has no money, it's on the bones of its bottom. Everything has to be done on the cheap  (it may be why he got the job)

Hopefully Jolley will spent whatever is made available more wisely than Slade and might call in some Burnley contacts

Definitely not..

But if he walks away at the end of the season and we employ a chief exec to replace him, the atmosphere around the town will lift, gates will jump dramatically, season ticket sales will at least hold firm resulting in a spike in income which will mean a much larger playing budget than if JF stays. Who knows, with him out of the way, external investors may finally be prepared to show their hand..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › As predicted

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.