Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back-on the train.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 420 Guests

Just Back-on the train.

This thread currently has 6,801 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Balthazar Bullitt
March 24, 2018, 6:34pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
First 45 left me thinking that there was enough in the team to win a game.

The collapse in the second half just made me wish the season was over so we can release this team of eunuchs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
Cayman_mariner
March 24, 2018, 6:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +483
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from barralad
I don't know why but I took the opportunity of leaving before the end to avoid an hours wait in the soulless environment of the Ricoh.
Started well enough (where have I heard that before) and, even after the first went in heads didnt drop. McAlister made most think "if only", Dembele had defenders back tracking and generally worried. Collins won just about everything in the air and Fox continued his decent form from Lincoln. The goal when it came was from a free kick that was never a foul but it was undoubtedly a free header. Refreshingly heads didnt go down and there was no repeat of total implosion a la Lincoln.
Second half began in much the same vein and for a while it looked as though we might get something until Woolford faced with three options going forward in the middle of the park dithered, lost the ball and ten seconds later it's in our net.
Probably the major flaw is that at some point due to expected lack of match fitness some of those players who've just come in need substituting and their replacements have question marks over them. Once McAlister and Wilks departed so did the spark that might have got us something. The third had an inevitability about it. The fourth was a generous gesture designed to ensure McNulty could go home with the match ball.
I probably didn't expect to get anything from today and certainly travelled more in hope than expectation so from that point of view I'm no more unhappy with the final score than if it had finished 1-0. Judging by the number of Town fans on the station with me there ain't many who can see too many positives. For the dwindling number of hopers Friday v Stevenage is massive.

Sounds like there is some promise from that starting 11 for the games against some of the teams around us, and with Summerfield and Jackson to come back in too.

Was also wondering about Akheem Rose.  I know scoring goals has been a big problem and it was said his work permit tribunal was some time in April but not heard a date of exactly when though.

We have 5 games in April and one in May - not sure if he may become available to us for a few of those last few games?  

Not seen much of him but from what I hear described as a raw talent with pace to burn so if available might not be a bad option to have on the bench.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
PB
March 24, 2018, 7:09pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +256
Gold Stars: 3
As a relatively local game for us, and a late decision, we sat with the home fans. It provides a different view of things, and at half time I heard several positive comments about us, one guy wondering why we are where we are!
When the second went in you could feel the confidence ebb away. We are not shrewd or show any real guile. Cov are nothing special but mentally our guys are shot, and teams know it. These recent heavy defeats have now given us the worst GD in the league and the way it looks that might matter. The only positive I can think of is that Jolley is at least prepared to try different ideas and players.
Let's hope Notts County do us a favour tomorrow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
Cov1
March 24, 2018, 7:39pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: -22
Your team lacked confidence and it’s hardly surprising after 18 games without a win.  Interesting how some of the comments played down the score line but it’s probably fair to say the stats don’t lie...

Well done to the 800+ that travelled, good effort especially with your current winless run...

Good luck for the rest of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
forza ivano
March 24, 2018, 9:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,159
Gold Stars: 265
Wow.poor old jolley has got almost insurmountable problems.we give goals away willy nilly we have no pace no creativity and no goal threat.we are fooked.
Collins is exempt from criticism he was a real leader today and couldn't have done any more.mills was almost as good but it was his silly needless foul that led to their free kick. His distribution is very poor. McKeown couldn't have done much more.fox tried his hardest but like mills is limited. Better option than Dixon tho. McAllister and macsheffery were plusses McAllister is a bit like Stacey coldicott dfoing lots of good bits of destructive work whilst mcsheffery tried hard and has a bit of guile and skill.neither woolford nor berrett impressed they just don't create anything.dembele n dj were poor although I was impressed by both cov full backs.wilks n Vernon had so little service that they were just running round feeding off scraps.when they do get the ball there is so little support that they lose it and we're back on the defensive. Apart on the mills header the only other chance was one when the cov defence n keeper screwed up and created the chance for us.even then with the keeper outside his 18 yard box we couldn't score. After the second goal it was the gutless disorganised shambles we saw at Cambridge.
Best part of the day was the brewery.thanks chicane was a cracking little place.you can't argue with 3 quid a pintfor quality ale.should've stayed in there for the 2 hours n saved my money
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
chicaneuk
March 24, 2018, 10:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,486
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Cov1
Your team lacked confidence and it’s hardly surprising after 18 games without a win.  Interesting how some of the comments played down the score line but it’s probably fair to say the stats don’t lie...

Well done to the 800+ that travelled, good effort especially with your current winless run...

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Honestly, walking away from the game earlier we checked the stats for the match on the BBC, and genuinely didn't feel that they seemed to tally up with what we just saw. It's not just rose tinted glasses or bias for our team - god knows I've seen enough poor Town performances to know when the stats very much reflect what we'd just seen, but today it just never felt like that.

Despite the abysmal scoreline, I'm still going to take a shred of confidence away from that game and just hope we can turn on some of what we did today, against some of the lower level teams we get in the coming weeks. I felt down about things right after the match, but on reflection I'm just starting to think we MIGHT scrape ourselves away from the drop after all.

Quoted from forza ivano

Best part of the day was the brewery.thanks chicane was a cracking little place.you can't argue with 3 quid a pintfor quality ale.should've stayed in there for the 2 hours n saved my money

Hey - sorry I didn't get to put a face to a name. I did pop in for about 30 minutes and went and drank a pint with a mate, and his old man - we went upstairs. I was surprised to see a few town fans in there and wasn't sure how many had found their way there on my recommendation and how many had just found it by themselves. Either way I'm glad you enjoyed it - as I said before, I'd not actually made it over there before today either despite wanting to ever since it opened!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 29
AndyGTFC
March 24, 2018, 10:41pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Thought we were very unlucky to lose 4-0 on the day but the way almost every game follows the same pattern obviously isn't.

We played okay without creating much but just consistently shoot ourselves in the foot. Were well in the game first half but conceded a daft goal and we started the second well too but again gifted them a goal. After that, the players were just gone mentally.  

I would definitely keep a similar sort of side to the one that started though, and hope they can perform against lesser teams in these big home games that are coming up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
GYinScuntland
March 24, 2018, 10:48pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
So.. Friday v Stevenage is massive, get your drift but how many massive games can we have in one season / decade?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
grimsby pete
March 24, 2018, 10:51pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from GYinScuntland
So.. Friday v Stevenage is massive, get your drift but how many massive games can we have in one season / decade?

7 more  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 29
GYinScuntland
March 24, 2018, 10:53pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from grimsby pete

7 more  

Fair play.
Three might do mind. 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back-on the train.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.