Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back-on the train.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 267 Guests

Just Back-on the train.

This thread currently has 6,783 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
March 24, 2018, 5:24pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
I don't know why but I took the opportunity of leaving before the end to avoid an hours wait in the soulless environment of the Ricoh.
Started well enough (where have I heard that before) and, even after the first went in heads didnt drop. McAlister made most think "if only", Dembele had defenders back tracking and generally worried. Collins won just about everything in the air and Fox continued his decent form from Lincoln. The goal when it came was from a free kick that was never a foul but it was undoubtedly a free header. Refreshingly heads didnt go down and there was no repeat of total implosion a la Lincoln.
Second half began in much the same vein and for a while it looked as though we might get something until Woolford faced with three options going forward in the middle of the park dithered, lost the ball and ten seconds later it's in our net.
Probably the major flaw is that at some point due to expected lack of match fitness some of those players who've just come in need substituting and their replacements have question marks over them. Once McAlister and Wilks departed so did the spark that might have got us something. The third had an inevitability about it. The fourth was a generous gesture designed to ensure McNulty could go home with the match ball.
I probably didn't expect to get anything from today and certainly travelled more in hope than expectation so from that point of view I'm no more unhappy with the final score than if it had finished 1-0. Judging by the number of Town fans on the station with me there ain't many who can see too many positives. For the dwindling number of hopers Friday v Stevenage is massive.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
RoboCod
March 24, 2018, 5:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Cheers Barra, good to hear from someone who saw things unfold. I think you're bang on the money with the fitness thing, I felt for Jolly who needed to change things but had an assortment of tired legs both young and old out there, pleased to see McSheffrey get through the game, wonder if Woolford will now be left aside.

Our season was summed up for me midway through the 2nd half, when you're losing and chasing the game and your best players have tired and your only option is to bring Berrett on.

All out attack for Friday.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
Maringer
March 24, 2018, 5:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
We haven't got the attackers to go for all out attack. Unfortunately, the defence is a lost cause already - minus 23 goal difference in 2018! Wowsers.

We'll need to somehow fluke or grind out a few wins to have a chance. Heaven only knows how we'll manage it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
Happy_Mariner
March 24, 2018, 5:51pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +69
We are so weak physically. Very little desire to win a ball and although Collins won a few headers he very rarely sent the ball back down the field as their centre halves did. I thought Mills did ok but didn’t need to give the wide player a reason to go down before the first goal. Should have just stood him up.

Baffling decision to give the offside when Wilks and Dembele went through. Wilks was off but Dembele, who got the ball, was clearly not. Even more infuriating when their second goal was a carbon copy of this and nothing given. The lad that scored the goal but didn’t receive the first pass was offside and running the same channel as the big lad who got the ball before squaring.

Although we played some good stuff in parts we are too slow to get supporting players around the ball and can’t move it quick enough. At least when Venon came on he gave us a presence up front and stopped the ball coming straight back.

From what I’ve seen I think the only hope is that Barnet and Chesterfield are too poor to catch us as I can’t see how we are going to save ourselves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
sonofmadeleymariner
March 24, 2018, 5:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from barralad
I don't know why but I took the opportunity of leaving before the end to avoid an hours wait in the soulless environment of the Ricoh.
Started well enough (where have I heard that before) and, even after the first went in heads didnt drop. McAlister made most think "if only", Dembele had defenders back tracking and generally worried. Collins won just about everything in the air and Fox continued his decent form from Lincoln. The goal when it came was from a free kick that was never a foul but it was undoubtedly a free header. Refreshingly heads didnt go down and there was no repeat of total implosion a la Lincoln.
Second half began in much the same vein and for a while it looked as though we might get something until Woolford faced with three options going forward in the middle of the park dithered, lost the ball and ten seconds later it's in our net.
Probably the major flaw is that at some point due to expected lack of match fitness some of those players who've just come in need substituting and their replacements have question marks over them. Once McAlister and Wilks departed so did the spark that might have got us something. The third had an inevitability about it. The fourth was a generous gesture designed to ensure McNulty could go home with the match ball.
I probably didn't expect to get anything from today and certainly travelled more in hope than expectation so from that point of view I'm no more unhappy with the final score than if it had finished 1-0. Judging by the number of Town fans on the station with me there ain't many who can see too many positives. For the dwindling number of hopers Friday v Stevenage is massive.

I think you're pretty spot on there Barra. My contributions would be Woolford shouldn't be on the pitch (we already knew that) he's too slow to play and while Davis did well, I would say the same thing, too slow for the position and Hall-Johnson or Mills should be starting there. I know we conceded 4 goals but defensively we looked better with a bit of pace in the middle two (shock who knew oh wait the entire fan base), MIlls had a great game and was probably my man of the match. McCallister and Wilks looked like they were lacking match fitness and someone needs to review game footage with Dembele and tell him what he is doing wrong, where he should be going, where he should be passing the ball. He had a decent game today and a few things just didn't come off for him, but he needs to learn how to play football beyond being able to do step overs.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
chicaneuk
March 24, 2018, 5:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 5
What pisses me off the most is that we had some good spells and looked like we could have had a goal or two. The result flatterer Coventry.. sure they were better than us but for good portions of the game we gave as good as we got.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
RoboCod
March 24, 2018, 5:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Maringer
We haven't got the attackers to go for all out attack. Unfortunately, the defence is a lost cause already - minus 23 goal difference in 2018! Wowsers.

We'll need to somehow fluke or grind out a few wins to have a chance. Heaven only knows how we'll manage it.

Surely if Jackson's back some make strategic subs can keep the attacking momentum up, though I'd be much more confident if Summerfield is in the middle, perm him, Clifton, Rose or McSheffey to supply a decent middle. The defence is always a concern but our midfield has been bypassed far too many times, I do think Jolly is closer to strengthening the centre meaning less pressure on our creaking defence.
Though defending set pieces does seem beyond us...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
paulgtfc
March 24, 2018, 6:13pm
Never lost at the old Wembley!
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
4-0 not a true reflection.  

For 38 mins difficult to tell who was the promotion chasing team. However Town looked toothless and oppo just need to bide their time in picking us off.  

Good choice of line up and we will benefit from Sean M, Wilks n Gary M getting game time under their belts.  Next 4 games is a mini season and will make or break us - thus that game time for such key players will hopefully prove invaluable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
grimsbybrown
March 24, 2018, 6:15pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 2
Hard to watch -

For 55-60 mins we looked organised, and you had the sense there was a clear plan.  Felt Jolley made some good calls, assume Mills was at CB for pace, and the midfield were holding their own, especially first half.

Even then felt there was some sense of a gap in quality - Coventry's forwards had some zip and sharpness about them, they were certainly trying to create angles and bring each other into the game.  However, they had so little opportunity because they were well contained, our defence was committed and made some great challenges and interceptions.  So while I felt they had players and potential to be dangerous, we weren't in danger that much.  I liked their 7 too - good footballer.

As for the goal, Mckeown was never going to get the Cross, and then we lose the ball in a decent position and they break and it's in the net -  every mistake is punished atm.

In contrast, the touch and interchange between our forwards was not quite as tight or crisp.  These slightly looser touches meant angles for shots / crosses were lost.  We showed potential without really creating anything.

The substitutes weakened us, much of that I guess was fitness (McCallister) but at 2-0 the game was gone.  In the last 20 it was a case of how many, they had a few good chances they didn't take.  I suspect that is also part of why Jolley was angry.

For me this showed some of the limits of Harry Clifton, felt he was chasing the game at times.  I was also concerned in the second half about how shot our confidence is.  Dembele I felt was doing that thing where he was signalling for the ball without properly showing for it.  Appearing interested but not really being in a position to take possession is the sign of someone afraid of making a mistake.

Overall, the question is can the good things from the start of the game be translated into points against weaker opposition?  Maybe some of the players he's involving need another game or two to get to their sharpest - they may be our best chance.  In the end, what matters is doing whatever it takes, even if it's just enough to get over the line.  

I hope we get to see MJ build a team in league 2, I'm not yet confident that'll be the case.  It's never nice to get a stuffing, but at the same time, scraping points / dirty wins in key games may be enough.  If that's what is needed then so be it.  Better to lose to Cov than Barnet or Chesterfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
essexexile
March 24, 2018, 6:19pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +185
Gold Stars: 1
We've conceded about 24 goals from set pieces this season and don't score from ours & if you're not scoring from open play where does that leave you? Where we are now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back-on the train.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.