Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Concered about selection
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 206 Guests

Concered about selection

This thread currently has 3,845 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
March 24, 2018, 9:52am
Guest User
I must say like most people, I have been very impressed with Michael Jolley so far despite only acquiring the one point from six available. However, last week at Lincoln I was baffled by his team selection. I appreciate he'd only had ten days or so to assess the squad but the game was lost as soon as I saw that team sheet.

Will have to see what he comes up with today, but no more round pegs in square holes please. An example, we have been woeful in central midfield all season IMO, in fact throughout the spine we are shocking. But we don't help ourselves by playing central midfielder Harry Clifton out wide. Particularly when we have perfectly good wingers in Dembele and DJ. Play Clifton centrally, give ourselves a chance. I'd play Clifton and Davies in the middle, with Mills at right back. If they play a five man midfield, play a holding midfielder in front of the back four and push Dembele and DJ ten yards higher to make up a three with the ball.

Will be interesting to see the team he picks, please no Woolford, please start Wilks but he's a striker, not a winger! I'm convinced Wilks can be vital for us if we play to his strengths, and play him in his natural position.
Mariner93er
March 24, 2018, 9:54am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,720
Gold Stars: 28
To be fair, for 30 minutes, that selection was competing well against a decent Lincoln team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
March 24, 2018, 9:55am
Guest User
Yeah, but to be equally fair that team was 3-0 down after 43 minutes. And it's only Lincoln.
Reply: 2 - 18
MeanwoodMariner
March 24, 2018, 10:34am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
I hope he goes with some combination of McSheffrey, Wilkes & Dembele as our forward line. I agree that Wilkes has shown glimpses of potential, would like to see him central. I think we've simply got to try something attacking that doesn't revolve around Matt. I'm not going to start slating the guy but we constantly play the ball up to him as if we can start our attacks through him. On the evidence of the last 17 games, we can't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
devs
March 24, 2018, 12:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 30
Not sure which way he will go with selection today
In interviews he has alluded to a lack of creativity and balance - Davies in MF an example; Gary Croft on RH said last week there were too many square pegs in round holes and team looked unbalanced
I'd definitely be thing about DJ, Dembele, McSheffrey, Wilks all starting
Too early for McAllister? If not, get him in as well
Matt?
Clarke?
Woolford?
Berrett?
Cardwell?

There just be big question marks over these players

It could be 5/6 changes or he might just bring in one!

We don;t know what he has been working on in training - he might have set things up for wholesale changes or as he stuck with Matt to try and get people to play off him (but that has failed IMO)

I think 4-4-2 gets the more creative players in the team while 3-5-2 restricts that (where would you play DJ and Dembele

My front six would be: DJ Clifton McAllister Dembele; Wilks McSheffrey...keep the ball on the deck

Back four? If he dropped Clarke for Mills (he has played CB) and moved Davies to LB is that too many changes?

That's why he will poss stick with Clarke and Collins

Will be interesting to see what's what come 2.15
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 18
FishOutOfWater
March 24, 2018, 1:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
I hope he goes with some combination of McSheffrey, Wilkes & Dembele as our forward line. I agree that Wilkes has shown glimpses of potential, would like to see him central. I think we've simply got to try something attacking that doesn't revolve around Matt. I'm not going to start slating the guy but we constantly play the ball up to him as if we can start our attacks through him. On the evidence of the last 17 games, we can't.

On the evidence of the last 17 games, he can't  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 18
Roast Em Bobby
March 24, 2018, 2:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,720
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from 75
Yeah, but to be equally fair that team was 3-0 down after 43 minutes. And it's only Lincoln.

But two of those goals were down to individual errors, Clarke for the first one and Clifton for the other.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 18
FishOutOfWater
March 24, 2018, 2:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
McAllister is playing today... just heard on RH
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 18
zorro_is_a_Mariner
March 24, 2018, 2:08pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
McAlister is starting as well mcsheffrey

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 18
LongEatonMariner
March 24, 2018, 2:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Most fans have been saying the players aren’t good enough. He can’t polish a turd, but hopefully he can get enough out of Slade’s squad to keep us up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Concered about selection

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.