Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Anyone watching the England match?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 335 Guests

Anyone watching the England match?

This thread currently has 6,275 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
dapperz fun pub
March 23, 2018, 11:32pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from Tommy
Really don't know what was negative about that.

Dominated possession. Played out from the back and through the press as well as I've seen us do. Decent movement from the front 3. Good quality performance.

Against the worst team Holland have had in years just to put things in perspective, as soon as we play one of the big hitters were out in Russia
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 57
Maringer
March 23, 2018, 11:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I thought we weren't bad, but hardly dominated in the way that the pundits seemed to be claiming. Shaded possession and looked lively trying to go forward at times but often with a poor final ball - I realise Rose hasn't played much of late but a lot of his crosses were terrible! I suppose the addition of Kane into the team might have made some of the crosses look better.

Very strange to see a Dutch team without any real 'star' quality players as they've always had a handful in my lifetime, but you can see they looked mostly toothless and that's why they aren't going to Russia in the summer. Will be interesting to see what Italy are like in comparison.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 57
Tommy
March 24, 2018, 12:32am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Against the worst team Holland have had in years just to put things in perspective, as soon as we play one of the big hitters were out in Russia

Without doubt the worst Dutch team in recent memory. They've gone from Seedorf, Overmars,, Bergkamp, Kluivert, the De Boer's etc etc.........to Ryan Babel.

You're probably right but the way we appear to be able to keep possession now (especially helped by playing 3 at the back) will give us more of a chance as opposed to us just sitting on the edge of our box for 90 minutes trying to graft our way to a 0-0.

Tbf my post was just intended to point out that the football wasn't negative rather than suggest we've turned into world-beaters.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 57
forza ivano
March 24, 2018, 12:56am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,134
Gold Stars: 265
I think madeleys brain might have become addled from overexposure to Slade.that was england looking lime a proper international team rather than an inadequate premiership team. Holland looked like the england of old with centre halves static uncertain and lacking confidence on the ball.yeah we gave away possession cheaply at times and lacked a cutting edge but it was a young reserve side.we looked so confident n comfortable,great to see Maguire n stones bringing the ball out and being so comfortable in possession.compare and contrast with butcher terry Cahill etc etc
We are a hugely improved side.not saying we are going to win the world cup but yhereris youth vitality and a level of technical abi!ity which might surprise a few people
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 57
LH
March 24, 2018, 1:03am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,390
Gold Stars: 169
Still a bit to work on to become an international championship winning side but signs of encouragement in that - with an understanding that Holland are at the absolute lowest point they’ve ever been at. I’m not a violent person at all but Jesse ‘J Lingz’ Lingard could score a 98th minute winner in the World Cup final and I’d still want to punch him repeatedly though.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 57
ginnywings
March 24, 2018, 6:16am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
For the last forty years, I've mostly watched England games tearing my hair out and repeatedly shouting at the telly in frustration at how one dimensional they are. Repeatedly giving away the ball by lumping it long from the back after passing between the back four for a few passes, then running out of ideas. Or the midfielders just giving it away with a poor touch, lack of control or a misdirected pass. I'm not seeing that now, and at last we seem to have a philosophy running right through from the under 17's. The junior sides at all age groups are actually reaching finals and winning tournaments, which is great to see. I'm not saying we are going to win anything, but at least we look like a side that knows what they are doing, which is a massive improvement on the up and at 'em 'style' of old. Best we've looked since the brief Robson and Venables eras. We have more firepower up front to call on than that side showed last night as well. I think Southgate is doing a great job.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 57
Heisenberg
March 24, 2018, 7:25am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,803
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from ginnywings
For the last forty years, I've mostly watched England games tearing my hair out and repeatedly shouting at the telly in frustration at how one dimensional they are. Repeatedly giving away the ball by lumping it long from the back after passing between the back four for a few passes, then running out of ideas. Or the midfielders just giving it away with a poor touch, lack of control or a misdirected pass. I'm not seeing that now, and at last we seem to have a philosophy running right through from the under 17's. The junior sides at all age groups are actually reaching finals and winning tournaments, which is great to see. I'm not saying we are going to win anything, but at least we look like a side that knows what they are doing, which is a massive improvement on the up and at 'em 'style' of old. Best we've looked since the brief Robson and Venables eras. We have more firepower up front to call on than that side showed last night as well. I think Southgate is doing a great job.

With time, I’m actually beginning to think that Robson and Venables weren’t that great really. Robson in particular had some truly horrendous performances, but we often got away with it because we had some truly great players in the 80s and 90s. If the likes of Lineker, Beardsley, Robson, Gasgoigne, Shearer and Hoddle played in this modern style, we’d have been world beaters.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 57
Heisenberg
March 24, 2018, 7:28am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,803
Gold Stars: 89
No wonder we called him Gazza, his surname was too difficult for me to spell right.......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 57
lukeo
March 24, 2018, 7:52am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 133
Watching it now, enjoyed the large majority of the game. Looking to pass the ball forward more often than not and if there isn't a pass in they're keeping possession and going sideways or backwards
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 57
Tommy
March 24, 2018, 7:52am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from ginnywings

That's the "England DNA" that the FA spent a lot of time putting together starting to come through already.

Nearly all went out the window when Allardyce was appointed as Manager though. When all the England DNA stuff was being finalised, it was presented to Allardyce and he told one of the guys from the FA: "well I don't care about any of that, I'm here to win football matches."

Which you could argue is a reasonable point to make, but obviously after months of planning and putting tho stuff together, there was a bigger, longer term plan than that.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Anyone watching the England match?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.