3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
chicaneuk
March 23, 2018, 8:45am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 5
It wasn't just the question about what Berrett added to the team, but that they also said something along the lines of him being "very unpopular amongst some supporters" - I mean questions like that will really help confidence.

I thought from the bits I saw, around 15 minutes of the first half, the manager answered the questions extremely well (especially the Berrett one) and he gives a real air of positivity and some really fresh thinking. I really hope he can manage to instill enough confidence and positivity to save our skins this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 28
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 23, 2018, 8:46am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
There is another thread on here about the GT interviews with players. If people cannot ask awkward questions like the one about Berrett, isn’t there a danger this Meet The Manager goes the same way? An anodyne and patronising PR stunt?

After all, people on here have been asking that very same question for most of this season and nobody seems to be worried about singling out the player on the Fishy do they?

I’m certainly not saying this one was such an interview, the manager seems keen and interested in what people think, but over a season people would get a bit fed up of manager blarney and want some nitty-gritty about team selections etc.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 28
1mickylyons
March 23, 2018, 9:14am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,257
Gold Stars: 54
I can`t say I am a huge fan of Berrett personally but very rare when watching a game I have thought he is our worst player and he always seems to try? My only gripe is I don`t think he is good enough and I want to see someone better and this is even more so when Summerfield plays.To me they are very similar players in that their main strength is running around trying to break up play and trying to screen the back neither player adds much in terms of creativity,goals or assists and I think LS is better than JB if I was picking one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 28
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 23, 2018, 9:24am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from 1mickylyons
I can`t say I am a huge fan of Berrett personally but very rare when watching a game I have thought he is our worst player and he always seems to try? My only gripe is I don`t think he is good enough and I want to see someone better and this is even more so when Summerfield plays.To me they are very similar players in that their main strength is running around trying to break up play and trying to screen the back neither player adds much in terms of creativity,goals or assists and I think LS is better than JB if I was picking one.

Wouldn’t disagree Micky, I am just saying this as an example of a question fans might well want an answer to - player selection. It takes up most of the time and space on the Fishy and it drives the natter in the pubs and clubs. Player selection is what people will want the manager to explain but if he feels it is impolitic to talk about it at Meet The Manager, will there really be much point in having the Q&A?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 28
Bigdog
March 23, 2018, 9:36am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I think the timing of the question was probably wrong. At a time when MJ is trying to build up the confidence and mental strength of the squad, the last thing he needs is a player being singled out. He's got to try and get every last ounce out of a poor bunch of players and is holding firm with his mantra that he believes the squad has enough talent for now. When he's got his own players next season he may be a bit more forthcoming. Overall though, he seems controlled, open, candid and approachable which is a pleasant change..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 28
forza ivano
March 23, 2018, 10:25am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,133
Gold Stars: 265
it's him answering questions from the fans and the berrett question,  the mcallister question and the questions of our forwards ineptitude have been constant themes for months, so why shouldn't the questions be asked?

overall, don't you wish the fans forum could have been handled this smoothly - professional, determined, but with good grace and humour?
interesting he spoke about evolution rather than revolution, in contrast to bignot's bull in a china shop enthusiasm to change everything overnight.
i don't think he's terribly impressed by what he sees on the pitch, by the players he's got and by the facilities he's got to deal with. he's very definitely firefighting and i suspect he knows he's up against it and its going to take every ounce of his coaching/managerial ability to keep us up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 28
Badger57
March 23, 2018, 11:52am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,902
Gold Stars: 30
The guy definitely gives me confidence, but sadly the team don't. Hopefully he'll be able to instill some confidence into the players though. A good listen.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 28
Roast Em Bobby
March 23, 2018, 12:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,706
Gold Stars: 43
No manager worth his salt is ever going to give an honest answer to a question like the one asked about Berret to a group of people and when being videoed. The only possible exception would be if he was trying to force someone out of the club eg like Mourinho with Luke Shaw.

As has been said above you can’t accuse Berrett of not trying, he gets about the pitch and wins his fair share of tackles. He’s just extremely limited in possession of the ball.

I wouldn’t be too surprised if half the squad don’t put the effort in in training everyday and Berrett does and therefore that’s why he plays.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 28
toontown
March 24, 2018, 10:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
I don't think Berret gets about the pitch a great deal at all, he's very static which is one of his weaknesses. It doesn't seem to be through lazyness more that he's just not athletic enough. He does tackle too but cos he's slow he often gets caught out giving away free kicks and getting booked (which further limits his ability to get stuck in). He slows play down on receiving it and takes too long to do anything. But He can use the ball fairly well when given lots of space and time, and he does keep his shape and positioning and doesn't give the ball away in dangerous positions too much. He is pretty poor but probably needed whilst we haven't got summerfield. What is clear is that when we DID have summerfield he should long since have been dropped to make way for the greater energy and creativity of Clifton, but slade is an incompetent buffoon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Meet the Manager Thurs 22nd March

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.