Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wilks / Jackson
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 288 Guests

Wilks / Jackson

This thread currently has 4,918 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
March 19, 2018, 11:00am
Guest User
Jackson is a different matter altogether. It's clear he is past his prime, even at 30. His goalscoring has declined sharply over the last 4/5 years, I assume he has suffered with injuries. But if you can get him on the pitch, he is the most natural goalscorer at the club by some distance. He's the sort of player that should play at 80 percent as he can still nick a goal.

Jolley does have options, although his team selection on Saturday concerned me if I'm honest.
Reply: 10 - 20
ginnywings
March 19, 2018, 11:45am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Matt will never score a good amount of goals because he is never in the right place at the right time. He doesn't anticipate the direction of the ball and moves to where it's going after it has already gone. We have seen this time and again this season. He will score now and again by sheer persistence, but all the stars have to align, just for him to get a strike at goal. Even then, most of his efforts are weak and lack direction. Even in a good side, i doubt he'd get much beyond ten goals in a season. Jackson showed within two minutes that he has the nose for a chance and if we can get him on the pitch and present some decent crosses or passes to him, he has a much better chance of scoring than the others.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
Mighty_Mariner
March 19, 2018, 12:14pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
I can understand Slade signing Matt after he scored something like 7 in 12 for Plymouth and they loved him there. Like someone said, he did start fairly well for us and then he had some personal issues, i think his young daughter got ill if I remember rightly and this obviously knocked him.

He then scored 2 in 2 on his return for us but since has just lost all confidence. I think we sometimes underestimate the role confidence and psychology plays in football and once you're stripped on confidence, this can badly affect your performance and be incredibly difficult to regain. I think we're seeing that in the team at the moment. I do believe once we get that one win, we'll kick on. Easier said than done though unfortunately.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
Maringer
March 19, 2018, 12:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
I thought he did OK against Port Vale, albeit with little support.

I don't really see how he receives criticism for lack of effort as he always runs his socks off from what I've seen. Often to little avail as he's slow to react and therefore chasing down too many lost causes, but I certainly wouldn't say he doesn't work hard.

His successful spell at Plymouth probably came about because they had more of a grip of midfield with wingers who could do something. Not something we can be accused of this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
ginnywings
March 19, 2018, 12:30pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Yeah, to be fair, he does run his socks off and he did actually look a decent striker for about a month, then just seems to have gone to pieces. I wasn't aware of his personal issues with his daughter, so that could perhaps explain things a little, alongside the general lack of confidence of the side as a whole. Maybe my opinions are a little harsh then given those circumstances. I won't criticise him for effort.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 20
dapperz fun pub
March 19, 2018, 1:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Runs his socks off but looks awful , he’s a centre forward who doesn’t score goals and the reason why he doesn’t score is because he doesn’t look totally switched on to the game hence always being late to react to a run a cross. I’m praying Wilks and Jackson are fit both must be better than him surely
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
jonnyboy82
March 19, 2018, 2:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Just a thought but does playing matt in an awful team make him look worse than he actually is ?

He certainly wasnt too bad at plymouth .

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 20
Jarmo.Is.God
March 19, 2018, 2:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
If i remember correctly, Matt was quality against Mansfield at home, run them ragged and they couldn't handle him at all.

Running down the channels, getting in the way, winning free-kicks, and a general nuisance

He was taken off after Mansfield started playing silly games and got him a booking, and they went on to equalise shortly after
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
RonMariner
March 19, 2018, 3:01pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,544
Gold Stars: 225
Quoted from golfer

That made me laugh

It makes me cry.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
RonMariner
March 19, 2018, 3:07pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,544
Gold Stars: 225
If we could get MacSheffery providing good service to Wilks and Jackson we might finally be able to create chances.

Until we can do that we are pissing in the wind.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 20
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wilks / Jackson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.