Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Is it worth going down to get rid of Fenty.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 144 Guests

Is it worth going down to get rid of Fenty.

This thread currently has 4,558 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Yoda
March 18, 2018, 6:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,121
Gold Stars: 71
Is it worth getting relegated to get rid of Fenty and Co and rebuild from scratch with Jolly as the manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
TheRealJohnLewis
March 18, 2018, 6:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
No, because going down won't get rid of Fenty.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 36
headingly_mariner
March 18, 2018, 6:41pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,314
Gold Stars: 113
No. We are in a better position to get rid if we stay up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 36
Cambs Mariner
March 18, 2018, 6:44pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +1,234
He wouldn't leave. All the trips to Wembley would inflate his ego even further.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 36
Swansea_Mariner
March 18, 2018, 7:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,431
Gold Stars: 63
No nothing is worth relegation out of the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 36
RonMariner
March 18, 2018, 7:19pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,532
Gold Stars: 224
If it would ensure that he would walk away and write off the loans, then yes.

I don't see a progressive future for the club until he has gone.  

But I agree with other posters that he is unlikely to go unless bought out and repaid his loans whatever happens this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 36
Ipswin
March 18, 2018, 10:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from RonMariner

But I agree with other posters that he is unlikely to go unless bought out and repaid his loans whatever happens this season.

Would you?

Fenty was being praised by some for appointing Jolley only a week or two ago

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 36
GrimRob
March 18, 2018, 10:53pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
A ridiculous question. Who is to say the replacement/alternative would be any better?

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 36
KingstonMariner
March 18, 2018, 10:55pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Ipswin

Would you?

The only credit would come from rolling the dice so often that he was bound to end up with a 6. That's assuming it does turn out to be a 6.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 36
lukeo
March 19, 2018, 7:29am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,298
Gold Stars: 134
No.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 36
March 19, 2018, 7:55am
Guest User
Absolutely not. Relegation to the National league would / will be an absolute catastrophe. Sadly, we all know how hard that league is. All good will towards the club has been used up, attendances will be down, possibly below 2k IMO. I've certainly done my time in non league and will not do it again. We must stay in the football league, at all costs.
Reply: 10 - 36
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 19, 2018, 9:10am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from GrimRob
A ridiculous question. Who is to say the replacement/alternative would be any better?

Quite so. Has Fenty in fact made the one decision that could save the club by appointing this new manager? He cannot bankroll player changes until the summer anyway so what difference does it make? The only difference I can see is that a relegated club becomes an even less attractive proposition to investors.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 36
RonMariner
March 19, 2018, 8:17pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Would you?

Sorry, would I what?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 36
jock dock tower
March 20, 2018, 2:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
When I saw the title of this thread I thought another scandal was about to hit BP.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 36
grimsby pete
March 20, 2018, 3:00pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,780
Gold Stars: 222
No because if we go down we might not get back up in my life time,

I can not leave this world with Town being non league.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 36
Ipswin
March 20, 2018, 3:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

Sorry, would I what?

Walk away unless somebody buys him out - you said it

Private Message
Reply: 15 - 36
grimsby pete
March 20, 2018, 3:43pm

Exile
Quoted from Ipswin

I would hope he would walk away if he sold his shares but forgot about the benign loans Swin.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 36
Ipswin
March 20, 2018, 4:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

I would hope he would walk away if he sold his shares but forgot about the benign loans Swin.

Like I said to the other poster Pete Would you?

Private Message
Reply: 17 - 36
grimsby pete
March 20, 2018, 4:22pm

Exile
Quoted from Ipswin

Like I said to the other poster Pete Would you?

If I had run the club like he has for the last 15 years you would not see me for dust,

I would sell my Merc and my mansion and emigrate far away,

AND

I am being serious but we all know Fenty will not do that.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 36
limerickfan
March 20, 2018, 7:44pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +26
Well over the last 15 years, which has seen us in several Wembley visits, who else would you suggest could have done better, or are you saying Grimsby Pete that you have the funds to support the club, so lets not be silly,lets stop knocking and slagging the board off, then we just might be able to attract a new chairman/investor, but who would want to come and face what goes on at times if mistakes are made,and no one is perfect
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 36
grimsby pete
March 20, 2018, 7:52pm

Exile
Quoted from limerickfan
Well over the last 15 years, which has seen us in several Wembley visits, who else would you suggest could have done better, or are you saying Grimsby Pete that you have the funds to support the club, so lets not be silly,lets stop knocking and slagging the board off, then we just might be able to attract a new chairman/investor, but who would want to come and face what goes on at times if mistakes are made,and no one is perfect

We were 6 years in non league Limerick that's why we got to Wembley so often,

If you think that is success you must be another Fenty family member.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 36
March 20, 2018, 7:55pm
Guest User
Quoted from 75
Absolutely not. Relegation to the National league would / will be an absolute catastrophe. Sadly, we all know how hard that league is. All good will towards the club has been used up, attendances will be down, possibly below 2k IMO. I've certainly done my time in non league and will not do it again. We must stay in the football league, at all costs.

Agreed.

Some of you here are of the mindset that if we go down we'll bounce straight back up again. If we do go down we're definitely in it for the long run, possibly longer than the 6 years done previously
As for Fenty I can't really see him leaving at his own volition for the time being (as much as I think he wants to)
Reply: 21 - 36
limerickfan
March 20, 2018, 8:05pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +26
Quoted from grimsby pete

We were 6 years in non league Limerick that's why we got to Wembley so often,

If you think that is success you must be another Fenty family member.

agree but what about the 9 years before we went out the league, i have 3 wembley programms from that 9  year stint, so was not all doom and gloom, and i am not and never been a fenty family,  but have supported the town for 63 years,so have seen plenty of ups and downs, with many ofthose 63 years as a season ticket holder,going to most away games,being a regualronthe supportors coach, many may remember my son David being with me from a young age, before moving to Ireland
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 36
lew chaterleys lover
March 20, 2018, 8:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,650
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from limerickfan

No one is perfect, that is true but 15 years is an awfully long time to achieve not a lot. He wanted complete control and having got it he has done nothing with it.

A board will come under intense pressure from every club in the land when things are going badly. In that 15 or so years 6 were spent out of the league altogether, the season before we went down we should have been relegated but for Luton's points deduction, and the vast majority of the other seasons have been very poor as well. Slades second season was good, the trip to Wembley to play MK Dons was light relief, but really the rest have been shocking. We have never been above League 2 and we are looking likely to fall into non league again.

Add to that zero progress on a new stadium and the well documented spats with the radio, the press, the fans, the fans forum and so on it doesn't make happy reading.

Nobody is perfect and we will always be grateful for his initial bale out when things were looking bleak. However most people realise that you need to work with other people, with the fans and community; they know that they do not have all the answers but are part of a team. In his hands are the hopes and dreams of generations of Grimbarians who treasure their football club; it is such a big part of their lives and he has allowed it to become a joke.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 36
RonMariner
March 20, 2018, 8:35pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I said it was unlikely.  

On the face of it, it looks like a huge amount to write off, but on the other hand that money is long gone, so what is it really worth? There also has to come a point where the stress and abuse he gets just might not be worth it.

Maybe he is pinning hopes on a new stadium funding the club and enabling him to get something back on the loans?  

The point is though, that as long as they remain in place they are a huge barrier to any prospective new owner.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 36
Brazilnut
March 20, 2018, 8:38pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
Bigdog

I'll try and put it another way Swin..

We all must have a little daydream about winning the lottery now and again and most would chuck a chunk GTFC's way if the club was in safe hands. But how many of us while daydreaming would ever think about loaning the club money when we've got enough to live the rest of our lives extremely comfortably? I would guess none of us, the dream would involve gifting cash or buying shares. There's a massive difference compared to loaning and securing on assets.

At the end of the day, the people of Grimsby need a successful well run football club far more than JF needs the £2m back to add to his pile. On top of that, his decisions have cost the club millions and he's alienated just about every kind soul that's offered to work with him. It's insane to learn that he feels like he's morally within his right to want his money back in hiding behind the rules of accounting and legalities. For some people it's been far more difficult to scrape the money together for a season ticket year after year than it ever was for JF to loan 10% of his wealth. But he'll never see past his own point of view, because GTFC has been all about him and what he wants to do with it, because it was his dream, and buggger the rest of us..

Who would care about £2m if you've got another £20m? You'd care if it was you're last £2m but it isn't his last £2m is it? And he's prepared to manage our football club to ruin to try and get it back..

but has he got another 20 mil..... i am no fenty fan and my mind has aged .......i thought he got around 8 mill for five star.......and i also thought he has since been divorced...so thats half gone .....a mill to his kids and close family  (just supposing here) he is down to his last mill maybe ..........would you still walk away from potentially a mill back for a 2 mill loan ????

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 36
Bigdog
March 20, 2018, 8:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Brazilnut
Bigdog

I'll try and put it another way Swin..

We all must have a little daydream about winning the lottery now and again and most would chuck a chunk GTFC's way if the club was in safe hands. But how many of us while daydreaming would ever think about loaning the club money when we've got enough to live the rest of our lives extremely comfortably? I would guess none of us, the dream would involve gifting cash or buying shares. There's a massive difference compared to loaning and securing on assets.

At the end of the day, the people of Grimsby need a successful well run football club far more than JF needs the £2m back to add to his pile. On top of that, his decisions have cost the club millions and he's alienated just about every kind soul that's offered to work with him. It's insane to learn that he feels like he's morally within his right to want his money back in hiding behind the rules of accounting and legalities. For some people it's been far more difficult to scrape the money together for a season ticket year after year than it ever was for JF to loan 10% of his wealth. But he'll never see past his own point of view, because GTFC has been all about him and what he wants to do with it, because it was his dream, and buggger the rest of us..

Who would care about £2m if you've got another £20m? You'd care if it was you're last £2m but it isn't his last £2m is it? And he's prepared to manage our football club to ruin to try and get it back..

but has he got another 20 mil..... i am no fenty fan and my mind has aged .......i thought he got around 8 mill for five star.......and i also thought he has since been divorced.....a mill to his kids and close family  (just supposing here) he is down to his last mill maybe ..........would you still walk away from potentially a mill back for a 2 mill loan ????

Thought it was £22m. Deleted my post because I thought it was too assumptive and personal anyway..

Been writing a few krappy posts today out of pure frustration and just about deleted them all within minutes of posting. Not been my best day TBH..

It's not the hope that kills ya, it's the feeling of helplessness..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 36
Brazilnut
March 20, 2018, 8:46pm

Special Brew Drinker
too right it is the hope ........and as i said my mind is going i thought his share was smaller ........no offence meant and no dig intended if you want me to delete the post just say ........not going to fall out with a town fan over mutual frustration

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 36
Bigdog
March 20, 2018, 8:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Brazilnut
too right it is the hope ........and as i said my mind is going i thought his share was smaller ........no offence meant and no dig intended if you want me to delete the post just say ........not going to fall out with a town fan over mutual frustration

I'll never fall out with you BN..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 36
March 20, 2018, 9:00pm
Guest User
Quoted from Bigdog
Thought it was £22m. Deleted my post because I thought it was too assumptive and personal anyway..

Been writing a few krappy posts today out of pure frustration and just about deleted them all within minutes of posting. Not been my best day TBH..

It's not the hope that kills ya, it's the feeling of helplessness..

Can I just say that I've just logged on to respond to the post you deleted.

The response was: "Wow! Great post. Speaks for me too".

I had a similar spasm a couple of weeks back (sorry Ascend)....the truth is - we're all wound up too tight because of the state of our club.
Reply: 29 - 36
arryarryarry
March 20, 2018, 9:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,062
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from limerickfan

You don't think they need slagging off for what has gone on this season and could be on the brink of taking GTFC out of the Football League for the second time?
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 36
toontown
March 20, 2018, 9:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from arryarryarry

You don't think they need slagging off for what has gone on this season and could be on the brink of taking GTFC out of the Football League for the second time?

exactly. I think they do too. I have been one of those who was sympathetic to Fenty for many years but no more - he never learns, expecting him to change is futile, he can't become a competent chairman/non-chairman, he is killing our club in my opinion, he needs to go at the end of the season and take his yes men with him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 36
LondonMariner43
March 20, 2018, 9:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from Yoda
Is it worth getting relegated to get rid of Fenty and Co and rebuild from scratch with Jolly as the manager.

No

End of

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 36
March 20, 2018, 9:11pm
Guest User
Quoted from LondonMariner43

No

End of

I disagree....so not end of?
Reply: 33 - 36
KingstonMariner
March 20, 2018, 10:50pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from 139881

Agreed.

Some of you here are of the mindset that if we go down we'll bounce straight back up again. If we do go down we're definitely in it for the long run, possibly longer than the 6 years done previously
As for Fenty I can't really see him leaving at his own volition for the time being (as much as I think he wants to)

I don't think anyone thinks that. A fair few did last time. But everyone is older and wiser now. Well except Mr Fenty.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 36
toontown
March 20, 2018, 11:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
I think it's pretty unanimously the opposite - everyone seems to think if we go down we will at best be in it for years again like last time, many think we could plunge further or even cease to exist
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 36
Brazilnut
March 20, 2018, 11:11pm

Special Brew Drinker
york

<*(((><

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 36
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Is it worth going down to get rid of Fenty.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.