Perkins
March 20, 2018, 7:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Cloudy
Is that right that that the club wrote a Trust statement?

I haven't read or heard that previously. If true I am surprised 'bax' didn't resign on the spot.

I have been a very minor shareholder for decades and although I attended the night/day of the long knives when Bill Carr was a ousted I haven't been since. I am sure that Fenty 43% of whatever is more than enough to retain absolute control as it is not one man one vote. He cannot be voted off the board

I think your correct in that he can't be voted of the board with that amount of shares. I may be wrong but I think that's the reason he stepped down as chairman, because as a chairman I think it's correct that he only has a casting vote ,but as a shareholder he can vote on all matters, and with his amount of shares he can not be outvoted. If I am incorrect I apologise and stand to be corrected.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 200 - 215
Cloudy
March 20, 2018, 7:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Perkins

I think your correct in that he can't be voted of the board with that amount of shares. I may be wrong but I think that's the reason he stepped down as chairman, because as a chairman I think it's correct that he only has a casting vote ,but as a shareholder he can vote on all matters, and with his amount of shares he can not be outvoted. If I am incorrect I apologise and stand to be corrected.

I don't recall hearing that previously but you may well be right. It would explain why JF doesn't want to be Chairman
Private Message
Reply: 201 - 215
KingstonMariner
March 20, 2018, 7:51pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from marinerjase
Personally I’m surprised people didn’t work this out weeks ago. Sav has his faults, as well do and I’m sure he’ll agree, and maybe would do one or two things differently now (responses on social media) but that was possibly brought about by frustration.   Agree with him or not - he tried to do things for others- as do certain others in the Trust. For the right reasons. On the counter side Ipswin makes a valid point. In effect the Trust has always been undermined/used when suits/looked down on. And infiltrated since Day 1 with representatives or friends of the ‘regime’, still is to this day. And that influence renders the work and efforts of others as fruitless.

When push comes to shove, the only way a Trust can get going and challenge decisions is from the outside looking in.  A board place isn’t worth £1 with current incumbents. So first part is to get a completely new Trust board, some of which are in place already, rid themselves of ANY associations with club hierarchy, vote and decide on way ahead. If that means stopping payments, losing board place - so be it. Then publicly state opposed and no confidence in club board. Of course then there’ll be the expected reaction, the threats, then the ‘I didn’t want to be in this position but I did’ saga, - so what?? Carries on there’ll be non league football and gates of 1500 or so. Situation that can’t continue long term. The failure will eventually hit home, the pot will run dry. The threats become meaningless. Of course no one wants it to come to that - you’d hope common sense prevails somewhere along the way.  But sadly common sense hasn’t been evident for some time. More interested in school ground arguments.

Anyway, for me that’s the way forward. John Fenty and pals have to understand/appreciate the club is bigger than individuals. Always will be.  And due to a succession of events their position is now almost untenable.  I’m not sure people understand the feelings of many about the club, some from afar. It won’t ever go under, despite the sound bites of those who want you to think it’s future is dependent on 1 person. Balderdash.

The only way to do that is for people (ordinary members) to participate in Trust meetings, and for people to stand for election against the 'regime infiltrators'. We need contested elections to the Trust Board. The problem is who wants to volunteer?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 202 - 215
Vance Warner
March 20, 2018, 8:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,780
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from toontown
Is it actually true that the GTFC board wrote a mariners trust statement - surely that can't be correct!? If so that would make a mockery of the Trusts role! I also think we need answers on the trusts position when the board meeting was held to discuss sacking slade. I recall the statement said that slade was supported and the word used was not unanimously but som thing similar but not quite th same. I took that to mean trust rep had voted against keeping slade. If that was not the case then I think the trust rep needs to explain why he did not vote for the sacking, by that stage it was obvious that I what the overwhelming majority of fans wanted. I think an explanation would definitely b needed if the fans rep had voted for him to continue. This could then be considered by members when they vote on who should be rep in future (and if they even want a rep anymore on the board). It could be that Jon Wood did vote against slade being retained, but I just feel more transparency is warranted on what was a vital vote for which the views of fans were pretty clear in my opinion.

Unequivocally was the word used. Statement below is from the 9th January. This will go down as one of the worst decisions the club has ever made. Interestingly we give Forest Green as an example of a side struggling after getting promotion. That's Forest Green who are well on the way to survival helped by one of our most creative players.

The GTFC club statement in full
"Grimsby Town Football Club’s Board of Directors met yesterday – as scheduled – to discuss a number of footballing and operational matters. The board wish to place on record how disappointed they are with recent performances and the nature of those performances. The supporters are the lifeblood of our club and have every right to express concern following such performances. Quite frankly – we all expect better.

This has led to some calling for a change in the senior leadership of the Football Club.

The Board met yesterday and voted unequivocally to support the existing management team financially in the current January transfer window and throughout the summer to continue their rebuilding exercise of the playing squad.

Russell and Paul have also set out a clear vision to the Board to continue rebuilding the squad towards a tighter-knit, leaner but higher calibre playing squad. We want to reduce it in size but increase the quality over the next six months.

We can today announce that the club have recouped their initial investments on Jamey Osborne (the Directors place on record their disappointment with how this has turned out - despite Russell's best efforts to retain the player) and Tom Bolarinwa as they return to the clubs from whom they joined us. There will be further departures throughout this window and in the summer.

The Board have always provided support in the windows and the additions of Jake Kean and Charles Vernam will be followed by others. There is an intention to add some quality signings to improve our matchday squad while also moving on players who do not fit within the manager’s plans for the team. We are committed to bringing goals and the buzz back to Blundell Park.

We have decided to inject money to help the manager improve the playing squad - whether that is through new additions or reducing in size - to ensure our budget is competitive within our league.

Russell is as disappointed as we all are at the dip in form particularly after three wins on the bounce. It is gut wrenching that we haven’t built on this form. Russell is determined to make adjustments to the squad which he believes will bring back goals and increase its confidence so that we can enjoy Saturday afternoons at Blundell Park and away.

Russell Slade and Paul Wilkinson are vastly experienced. They continue to increase and improve the professionalism of the football club and implement their football ethos throughout the club.

This ethos has seen them employed by several high-profile football clubs throughout their careers. They are meticulous in their preparations and are well respected in the game. However, they have also inherited a playing structure largely built by two other managers with so many full time first team professionals on our books. It is clear that our squad is in transition and we ask supporters to remain patient.

While some of this rebuilding took place in the summer it is not always something that can be completed overnight. When you lose big characters like we have over the past eighteen months and have lots of new faces, it takes time for things to gel together and have that desired effect.

The directors genuinely believe, whilst there have been and will be further bumps in the road, that they will ensure that we consolidate as we find our feet back in the Football League and build a team that is capable of challenging next season.

While the Board accepts that there have been examples of some teams being promoted from the Conference and building on that success through momentum, there are also many examples where clubs have been promoted and done far worse than we are doing now.

Whilst Luton and Mansfield are now rising up the table and challenging for promotion spots this has taken them four years to do so competitively. Likewise Barnet, promoted the year before us have been through several managers since and now sit at the bottom of the table.

Similarly, one only has to look at how Forest Green Rovers have fared in their first season in the league to know that a second successive mid-table position – 13 points clear of the relegation places and nine off the play-offs – isn’t what we had hoped for, but it also isn’t the complete disaster promoted by some.

The Club needs stability right now and the Board are asking the fans to be even more patient and get behind the manager, club and players as we continue this rebuilding process back in the league.

Russell, Paul and the team are continuing to work tirelessly to bring back the goals, confidence and success to the club. However this will only be possible with the support and backing of our fans. Our club has been through much worse than this before and come out the other side stronger. Together we are stronger and the only way we can make Blundell Park a fortress is by turning out and backing the team.

The players need us to show that support starting on Saturday against Newport County - we owe it to the club we all love by putting our differences aside to unite together.

Let’s show that relentless support for the team that has seen us recognized nationally in the past and here’s to bringing the goals, confidence and buzz back at Blundell Park"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 203 - 215
arryarryarry
March 20, 2018, 9:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
"13 points clear of the relegation places and nine off the play-offs – isn’t what we had hoped for, but it also isn’t the complete disaster promoted by some"

Which buffoon decided that they should put that in.
Private Message
Reply: 204 - 215
ginnywings
March 20, 2018, 9:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from arryarryarry
"13 points clear of the relegation places and nine off the play-offs – isn’t what we had hoped for, but it also isn’t the complete disaster promoted by some"

Which buffoon decided that they should put that in.

The type of people who are reactive instead of proactive. It's also the thinking that led to the release of Jones, Osborne, Asante and Clements. The very opposite of "providing more funds".
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 205 - 215
Meza
March 20, 2018, 9:29pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
Was having a great chat and debate with tbe old man on sunday and 1 thing we both agreed on (which is rare) is that leading up to Christmas we was doing alright.  Then bam.....cant buy a win....players leaving left right and centre.  We are both convinced something major has happened behind the scenes.  It must have surely?  I still believe it all started with Jamey.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 206 - 215
toontown
March 20, 2018, 9:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Vance Warner

Unequivocally was the word used. Statement below is from the 9th January. This will go down as one of the worst decisions the club has ever made. Interestingly we give Forest Green as an example of a side struggling after getting promotion. That's Forest Green who are well on the way to survival helped by one of our most creative players.

The GTFC club statement in full
"Grimsby Town Football Club’s Board of Directors met yesterday – as scheduled – to discuss a number of footballing and operational matters. The board wish to place on record how disappointed they are with recent performances and the nature of those performances. The supporters are the lifeblood of our club and have every right to express concern following such performances. Quite frankly – we all expect better.

This has led to some calling for a change in the senior leadership of the Football Club.

The Board met yesterday and voted unequivocally to support the existing management team financially in the current January transfer window and throughout the summer to continue their rebuilding exercise of the playing squad.....

"

Yeah "unequivocally", that was it. At the tme I thought that was clever use of wording to make it seem like the board was as fully behind slade as possible whilst being unable to put unanimously because the Trust Rep had voted against keeping Slade. I still hope that was the case. It would be great if the Trust was able to clarify, even if they have to wait until the end of the season before all this comes out, as it will have to I think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 207 - 215
headingly_mariner
March 20, 2018, 9:39pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Is this the statement that has been alledgedly written by someone at the club and put out by the Trust?

“The Board of The Mariners Trust is happy to clarify that following his input at Wednesday’s meeting of the Board of Grimsby Town F.C. regarding the views of the fan base, as communicated to The Trust about the current situation at Grimsby Town F.C, Jon Wood confirmed that there was a consensus reached before he contributed fully to the discussion that culminated in the issue of the statement by the Board later that day giving his full support to the final draft.”

I can absolutey believe this came out of the club because it was confusing then and it’s confusing now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 208 - 215
MuddyWaters
March 20, 2018, 9:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Meza
Was having a great chat and debate with tbe old man on sunday and 1 thing we both agreed on (which is rare) is that leading up to Christmas we was doing alright.  Then bam.....cant buy a win....players leaving left right and centre.  We are both convinced something major has happened behind the scenes.  It must have surely?  I still believe it all started with Jamey.

Might be. As a fan, the thing that nailed it for me was the Forum - proof that the club is a shambles from the top down.
Private Message
Reply: 209 - 215
22 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Freefall

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.