5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Cloudy
April 20, 2018, 12:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from cannylad68
My friend who watches Scarborough, says Max isn't scared to get stuck in.

Surely Mr. Fenty will see it will be cheap to offer Max a contract.

For all Fenty's faults he does not decide who the manager can offer contracts to
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 43
grimsby pete
April 20, 2018, 4:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
He is a young lad that has been toughened up by playing against men this season,

They might be a few levels below us but there would be some hard men down there trying to kick him off the pitch,

So lets hope he makes the step up and plays for us in L2 next season.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 43
acko338
April 20, 2018, 6:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
Joe Waters, Dave Boylen, Bobby Cumming - none tall and all gave their all - what did they all have ?? - ball control and skill !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 43
promotion plaice
April 21, 2018, 12:57am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188
Quoted from 11MARINER11
Was only saying , jeez , time to leave me thinks  

No need to leave mate you made a valid point for discussion.........proved by how many replies you have got.

We all get shot down on here at times  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 43
dapperz fun pub
April 21, 2018, 6:41am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
I watched a bit of Barcelona Man City yesterday under 20or under 18 maybe anyway their youth development teams playing a semi final in some cup. In stature the differences was amazing virtually all the Barca lads were not that big in fact some fairly small but all great on the ball.  The Man City lads were mainly big and my lad tells me Chelsea awaiting the winners are all massive black lads. Just shows you the different philosophies of Spanish and English football
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 43
Bigdog
April 21, 2018, 7:56am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I think it was Nicky Butt who made a valid point the other week about young players. He said that if players aged 18-20 weren't good enough to be playing for their club's first team, then 99 times out of 100 they were never going to be good enough at that club's level. This is backed up by what age Kevin Drinkell, Tony Ford, Paul Wilkinson, John Oster, Gary Lund, Ryan Bennett etc all made their breakthrough. Max is 20 and playing four leagues below, which is a worry Another example was Tommy Watson who was sent out to Frickley, I think it was in the Conference, to toughen up at the age of 17 and a year later was playing alongside the likes of Shaun Cunnington and John Cockerill. I'd like local players like Max to break through but the level he has been playing at this season doesn't bode too well. Next season will be pivotal for him I guess. He'll have to take his chances and be in and around the starting eleven or that may be it for him as a pro footballer. What skews his chances even further is the constant drip down of hoarded Premier League cast offs throughout the EFL. Massive season for Max next season, it will be great if he rises to the challenge..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 43
lobsterpot
April 22, 2018, 5:40pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +18 / -2
Approval: +742
Gold Stars: 15
I totally understand what you are Bigdog but i would conter that with the fact that he has been good enough for the last few seasons now BUT has broken his ankle twice and missed the remainder of 2 seasons each time so has done well to recover and get to where he is now. I'm not saying he wouldve, but maybe not having to deal with that, he maybe would be ahead of where he is currently.
Scarboro' got auto promotion yesterday and it was nice to see Dizza, Kayden Jackson and other town lads post on his page to congratulate him. I think an bang average youth player would be all but forgotten about.......

" YOU ALWAYS SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS, SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS........"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 43
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 22, 2018, 6:31pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Bigdog
I think it was Nicky Butt who made a valid point the other week about young players. He said that if players aged 18-20 weren't good enough to be playing for their club's first team, then 99 times out of 100 they were never going to be good enough at that club's level. This is backed up by what age Kevin Drinkell, Tony Ford, Paul Wilkinson, John Oster, Gary Lund, Ryan Bennett etc all made their breakthrough. Max is 20 and playing four leagues below, which is a worry Another example was Tommy Watson who was sent out to Frickley, I think it was in the Conference, to toughen up at the age of 17 and a year later was playing alongside the likes of Shaun Cunnington and John Cockerill. I'd like local players like Max to break through but the level he has been playing at this season doesn't bode too well. Next season will be pivotal for him I guess. He'll have to take his chances and be in and around the starting eleven or that may be it for him as a pro footballer. What skews his chances even further is the constant drip down of hoarded Premier League cast offs throughout the EFL. Massive season for Max next season, it will be great if he rises to the challenge..

There is a good argument that if they are good enough they are big enough but I don’t think you can make a rule of it like Butt. There are many reasons why kids do not make it to first team level and these days the reasons are not always football ones. Likewise there are lots of players who arrive without coming through a youth set up. Town for example would not have had John Cockerill or Andy Tillson. Gary Birtles would not have made it to Forest, Man U or us .... Ian Wright is another  good example nationally. There are no hard and fast rules.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 43
TownSNAFU5
April 22, 2018, 6:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Good to see that Town players (and ex players) were following Max's achievements.  Maybe they took a closer interest because they rated him as a player with a great attitude and a being a good lad?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 43
Bigdog
April 22, 2018, 6:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
There's nothing that would give me greater pleasure than seeing Max, Harry and one or two others break through to a first team pushing for promotion out of League Two next season Lobsterpot..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Max Wright

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.