Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fat lad and knuckle draggers rip up town shirt.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 363 Guests

Fat lad and knuckle draggers rip up town shirt.

This thread currently has 4,645 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
March 18, 2018, 12:33pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings
The fact is that we have only really become "rivals" due to our dire recent records and both teams languishing in League 2/Non League for so long. Lincoln were never on my radar as a Town fan until relatively recently. We have been bound together by our deficiencies and there is no great rivalry in my mind. The only time in the last ten or so years that i have felt that true buzz of rivalry, was when we played and beat Scunny in the FA Cup.

I don't say this to disparage Lincoln in any way. It's just how i feel.

Depends when you were born. We didn't play Lincoln much in the 1980s and 1990s but pretty much every other decade we have been regular oppenents.

https://thefishy.co.uk/resultsbreakdown.php?team=Lincoln

We have played them 119 times, more than anyone else I think.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 24
Balthazar Bullitt
March 18, 2018, 1:26pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from Civvy at last
We saw the fat lad on the way to the ground. He was laughing and joking with the Town fans.
He seemed to me to be slightly mentally challenged. That’s not a pop at him but a general observation.
Whilst I found it amusing that they think so highly of us they’ll buy a shirt to rip up, I wonder  if our stewards would have stood and watched laughing if we had done the same.
And it was funny when he couldn’t actually tear it himself and needed a hand.

You can say what you like, but I still don't think that's any way for a Mayor to behave.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
ginnywings
March 18, 2018, 1:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from GrimRob

Depends when you were born. We didn't play Lincoln much in the 1980s and 1990s but pretty much every other decade we have been regular oppenents.

That maybe so, but they don't feel like rivals to me. As you say, probably age dependent. The younger fans know no difference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
grimsby pete
March 18, 2018, 2:05pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,794
Gold Stars: 222
I can remember when Lincoln and Scunny were in D2 ( NOW CHAMPIONSHIP )

With us and we all held our own for a few seasons.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
Impish2
March 18, 2018, 2:17pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +55
Quoted from ginnywings
The fact is that we have only really become "rivals" due to our dire recent records and both teams languishing in League 2/Non League for so long. Lincoln were never on my radar as a Town fan until relatively recently. We have been bound together by our deficiencies and there is no great rivalry in my mind. The only time in the last ten or so years that i have felt that true buzz of rivalry, was when we played and beat Scunny in the FA Cup.

I don't say this to disparage Lincoln in any way. It's just how i feel.

The first away game I went to was at the Old Showground against the Scunts. There were a lot of Grimsby fans at the game and I am told that one half they were supporting Scunny and the other half us. Not sure if that's true because I was quite young and it's a long time ago.

As for rivals, it used to be Peterborough, Doncaster, Scunny, even the odd game against Hull and further back games against the Sheffield clubs. Grimsby has always felt like a rivalry to me, but we just never used to win very often (or maybe that was against most clubs tbh).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
barralad
March 18, 2018, 2:24pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from GrimRob

Watching Town in the late sixties/early seventies I cannot remember beating Lincoln once. Even in the 71/72 season we could only manage a 2-2 draw at home and our customary hammering at Sincil Bank

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
KingstonMariner
March 18, 2018, 2:29pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
From my early days in the early 70s we always seemed to do well against York but not against Lincoln. Don't know why that sticks in the mind.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
Mrs Doyle
March 18, 2018, 2:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Hull and Scunny were always fierce rivals but never Lincoln.

Two Yorkshire sides we always seem to play were Rotherham and Barnsley what I wouldn't give to be on par with them right now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
GYinScuntland
March 18, 2018, 3:16pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Impish2

The first away game I went to was at the Old Showground against the Scunts. There were a lot of Grimsby fans at the game and I am told that one half they were supporting Scunny and the other half us. Not sure if that's true because I was quite young and it's a long time ago.

As for rivals, it used to be Peterborough, Doncaster, Scunny, even the odd game against Hull and further back games against the Sheffield clubs. Grimsby has always felt like a rivalry to me, but we just never used to win very often (or maybe that was against most clubs tbh).

Was at that one, many moons ago.
A good amount of Grimsby in the Fox Street end, really can't remember if town had a game that day but it all kicked off a bit when the scunts started comments about smelling fish and someone snatched a Town scarf and began burning it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 18, 2018, 3:47pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from barralad

Watching Town in the late sixties/early seventies I cannot remember beating Lincoln once. Even in the 71/72 season we could only manage a 2-2 draw at home and our customary hammering at Sincil Bank

Obviously living here since 1977 it is the derby game for me but have always appreciated that for Grimsby raised fans Scunny and the Yorkshire sides that were the main rivals. Like Barra I do not remember any successful matches v Lincoln until Buckley’s first season when Diddy Gilbert made his debut on a good Friday think about 1988, and only remember victory at Sincil Bank during our conference era.

On the other hand we always seemed to beat Scunny only remember us losing to them once in the old days when I think they won 1-0 with a Nigel Cassidy goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fat lad and knuckle draggers rip up town shirt.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.