3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
denni266
March 18, 2018, 8:07am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +695
Gold Stars: 132
Yes its been 2 games,,, but add the three games he has watched,, and anyone with an ounce of football brains could see that berrett and woolford are about as much use as an ashtray on a mororbike,, slade mk 3 so far with a posher voice that says what the fans want to listen too. wool over eyes springs to mind... So far he is not for me and  i am not afraid to say so ,, if your going to go down . at least go down fighting and doing something different to what has clearly not worked over most of the season ..Is wilco pulling his strings ? or should i say slade mk 2.
Logged Offline
Private Message
lukeo
March 18, 2018, 8:20am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,297
Gold Stars: 134
Fresh start for everyone. He's in the club every day now. Give him a chance just like he's giving EVERYONE a fair chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 20
TAGG
March 18, 2018, 8:41am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,975
Gold Stars: 123
It looks like managers can see something in Woolford non of us can see.
He can only work with what he has.

What would you like him to say????

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 20
Swansea_Mariner
March 18, 2018, 9:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,431
Gold Stars: 63
I love the way people are saying he's Slade mk3 because he's not doing exactly what they want. I assume you mean picking McAlister and DJ. One player who has played a handful of games in 2 years and the other with 1 goal and 0 assists this season.

Points of difference so far between Jolley and Slade:

1: Jolley has played Clifton;
2: Jolley has played Sullliman (Port Vale);
3: Jolley has changed tactics and formation within the same game (Port Vale);
4: Jolley has signed a second left back for the squad addressing a long held issue on this board;
5: According to RH Jolley has issued nutritional plans to all players;
6: According to a current player (allegedly from the other thread on a trouble maker) Jolley has improved and professionalised training.

Points 1-4 have been a source of long term moaning on this board and have been addressed. I would expect Sulliman to come back in after international duty.

As for Woolford he hasn't seen him play yet as he hasn't been in the team for a while so he's bound to want to see what he's got in a game situation. As for Berrett well who else do we have, oh yes McAlister who has hardly played in 2 years. I agree its worth a go, unless there is something majorly wrong that we don't know I would expect Jolley to try him at some point.

We are Two weeks in! Give the guy a chance!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 20
Vance Warner
March 18, 2018, 9:17am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,775
Gold Stars: 100
He needs an opportunity to assess players in a match situation. I'd imagine he learnt a great deal yesterday about us individually and collectively. The real crime is that he's got such a short time to turn it round because of the board's ineptitude.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 20
mariner91
March 18, 2018, 9:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,563
Gold Stars: 259
Well let's look at the squad he's got to work with shall we?

McKeown: Good goalkeeper.
Mills: Decent enough but fairly poor distribution.
Halls-Johnson: A quicker Mills.
Davies: Decent enough I guess
Clarke: Shite
Collins: Getting too old.
Osborne: Shite and rusty from not playing for a couple of years.
Suliman: Potential but still a child basically, probably wouldn't want him up against Matt Rhead.
Dixon: Worst left back ever and injured.
Fox: Needed a left back, not a lot available as free agents and he's probably as good as we could realistically hope for.
Dembele: Been shite for months and carrying an injury but obviously potential is there.
Woolford: Shite but very experienced compared to our other wingers.
DJ: Young, inexperienced and not actually contributed that much when he's played. (1 goal and no assists)
Clifton: One of the few bright lights currently.
Summerfield: Injured
Berrett: Shite
Rose: Shite and supposedly a terrible attitude
McAllister: Has played less games than we've had managers in the last two years.
Kelly: Shite
Wilks: Injured
Vernam: Injured
Jackson: Injured
Cardwell: Works hard but still a rookie.
Matt: Shite
Vernon: Shite
Hooper: Shite and lazy

Bearing in mind the complete rubbishness of the squad, the injuries to players who probably would have started otherwise (Summerfield, Wilks, Vernam and Jackson) and the fact that we were playing a local derby away against a team renowned for it's physicality and direct approach, what exactly would you have done so markedly differently? Other than play McAllister, who has managed 8 first team games (for anyone, not just us) in two years, where else could you have made a change without having to introduce an out of form or highly inexperienced player?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 20
MuddyWaters
March 18, 2018, 9:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from mariner91

Suliman: Potential but still a child basically, probably wouldn't want him up against Matt Rhead.
Fox: Needed a left back, not a lot available as free agents and he's probably as good as we could realistically hope for.
Dembele: Been shite for months and carrying an injury but obviously potential is there.
DJ: Young, inexperienced and not actually contributed that much when he's played. (1 goal and no assists)
McAllister: Has played less games than we've had managers in the last two years.

Bearing in mind the complete rubbishness of the squad, the injuries to players who probably would have started otherwise (Summerfield, Wilks, Vernam and Jackson) and the fact that we were playing a local derby away against a team renowned for it's physicality and direct approach, what exactly would you have done so markedly differently? Other than play McAllister, who has managed 8 first team games (for anyone, not just us) in two years, where else could you have made a change without having to introduce an out of form or highly inexperienced player?

So basically we're fooked?
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
mariner91
March 18, 2018, 9:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,563
Gold Stars: 259
Quoted from MuddyWaters

So basically we're fooked?

Pretty much. I'm hoping Summerfield, Wilks and Jackson come back sooner rather than later. If they're back for the Chesterfield and Barnet games, we could win those and be safe but too many "ifs" for my liking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
Mariner93er
March 18, 2018, 9:28am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,720
Gold Stars: 28
Dj definitely has at least one assist off the top of my head, when he set dembele up. But I agree with the sentiments above, our players are effectively shite, so it doesn't matter who he picks, he just has to hope he finds a tactic that they can execute.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 20
lew chaterleys lover
March 18, 2018, 9:40am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,644
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from denni266
Yes its been 2 games,,, but add the three games he has watched,, and anyone with an ounce of football brains could see that berrett and woolford are about as much use as an ashtray on a mororbike,, slade mk 3 so far with a posher voice that says what the fans want to listen too. wool over eyes springs to mind... So far he is not for me and  i am not afraid to say so ,, if your going to go down . at least go down fighting and doing something different to what has clearly not worked over most of the season ..Is wilco pulling his strings ? or should i say slade mk 2.

We are all allowed our opinion, and Jolley may or may not prove to be the manager of our dreams.

However all the criticism of this manager, and the last one and the one before that does is to deflect from the real villain of the piece - the non chairman.

We could have a consortium of the 5 best manager in the world and he would struggle to keep this lot up. Mid season the board sanctioned the sale of our only striker because they thought we were safe. They wanted to reduce the wage bill and eliminate any trace of Bignot. They never funded the players Slade really wanted and they thought they could coast over the line to save a few quid.

The players would have seen the ill fated fans forum where Fenty showed to the world what a character he is, and Slade to a degree and I think that ruptured what harmony there was.

Only one man to blame for this shambles and it isn't Michael Jolley. He desperately wanted the job, he wanted to become a manager but he would have known how toxic the boardroom is, but felt he could be a success in spite of it. I am sure the vast majority of us wish him well.  
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 20
devs
March 18, 2018, 9:57am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,976
Gold Stars: 30
Get Mariner91 on Sky Sports
No one could have summed up the squad in better terms

Without doubt the worst set of forwards I can ever recall - at least Conlon scored!

Crime against football the squad Slade got together

And if we get relegated I want Jolley to stay - it would be an utterly pointless appointment to sack a guy who is managing a team he has inherited and half of which (at least) he doesn't want

Yes, he talks a good game but all we got from Slade was blame the ref and we move on and we stick together
Hardly Pep was it??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 20
RoboCod
March 18, 2018, 10:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Can't believe some of the views on here. A couple of major points need pointing out, firstly the inherited squad. Matt and Hooper are USELESS. Let's not go round the same old block we went round under Woodsy's reign when we spent week after week demanding player X replace Player Y, then Y in because X was rubbish when in reality they were both poor.
I'll help pack their bags, let's be done with any kind of sentiment here.
My glimmer of hope was the loanees, as Cardwell may well have been destroyed by Slade.
Wilks, Jackson and Vernam all looking promising. With just one of these in the side we'll be a little more dangerous and actually give the opposition something to think about. However, neither Jackson or Wilks were ready after injury. Vernan of course is done for the season. How much more scope for tactical setup would just two of those given to MJ?

Midfield...my God, how many years of ineffectual central players (Osborne apart)  must we suffer? Clifton is exempt, one for the future we just need to secure that future.
Berret can jump on the same bus out as Hooper and Matt, but one common agreement is that Summerfield, after a sluggish start has improved and is at least a decent player. To the point where no Summerfield basically means no points.
Given the absence of all 3 loan strikers and Summerfield and that we were playing a playoff positioned side, what were some expecting?
A poor, poor team with no balance made much worse by a run of injuries and no scope for tactical shifting is in for a struggle, and Jolly has my utmost respect for taking this on.

But continue with Berret, Matt, Woolford et al and you'll lose me, I have seen with my own eyes the enthusiasm and will to succeed from these young loanees and Harry, I see nothing in the manner of that useless bunch I just named to give me even a grain of confidence.
Only luck will keep us up I feel, and the fact that our 3 loan strikers are all injured tells you what Lady Luck thinks of us. Two of them are due back though so get them in, add a couple more unattached players of even medium quality.
Money isn't an issue, it won't be a fortune, but the Board WILL pick up the bill.

3rd from bottom and -25 GD tells you all you need to know about the regular team members, we need fighters if we are to fight to the end.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
Northbank Mariner
March 18, 2018, 10:05am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,441
Gold Stars: 171
Just watched MJs post match interview on iflollow and for as much as he's tried to hold back singling people out the frustration is clear for all to hear.
I actually think the magnitude of the task at hand finally hit him yesterday, just how spineless, talentless this squad is.
The inability to lift your levels as a player in what was not only a huge game to stave off relegation but also one against our biggest local rivals obviously p1ssed him right off.
You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear but I am hoping he can at least make a leather wallet out of acows a@se of a squad!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
devs
March 18, 2018, 10:13am
Table Wine Drinker
Get Mariner91 on Sky Sports
No one could have summed up the squad in better terms

Without doubt the worst set of forwards I can ever recall - at least Conlon scored!

Crime against football the squad Slade got together

And if we get relegated I want Jolley to stay - it would be an utterly pointless appointment to sack a guy who is managing a team he has inherited and half of which (at least) he doesn't want

Yes, he talks a good game but all we got from Slade was blame the ref and we move on and we stick together
Hardly Pep was it??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
Mrs Doyle
March 18, 2018, 10:20am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from mariner91

POST OF THE SEASON WELL SAID MATE.

THIS IS THE REALITY OF THE JOB HE HAS BEEN LEFT WITH.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 20
devs
March 18, 2018, 10:48am
Table Wine Drinker
I'd second Mariner91 for post of the season
Sometimes someone just says it as it is!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
Mighty_Mariner
March 18, 2018, 10:50am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Vance Warner
He needs an opportunity to assess players in a match situation. I'd imagine he learnt a great deal yesterday about us individually and collectively. The real crime is that he's got such a short time to turn it round because of the board's ineptitude.

This this this this this!!!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 20
dapperz fun pub
March 18, 2018, 10:54am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,877
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from mariner91

Very accurate assessment
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
KingstonMariner
March 18, 2018, 10:59am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
I love the way people are saying he's Slade mk3 because he's not doing exactly what they want. I assume you mean picking McAlister and DJ. One player who has played a handful of games in 2 years and the other with 1 goal and 0 assists this season.

Points of difference so far between Jolley and Slade:

1: Jolley has played Clifton;
2: Jolley has played Sullliman (Port Vale);
3: Jolley has changed tactics and formation within the same game (Port Vale);
4: Jolley has signed a second left back for the squad addressing a long held issue on this board;
5: According to RH Jolley has issued nutritional plans to all players;
6: According to a current player (allegedly from the other thread on a trouble maker) Jolley has improved and professionalised training.

Points 1-4 have been a source of long term moaning on this board and have been addressed. I would expect Sulliman to come back in after international duty.

As for Woolford he hasn't seen him play yet as he hasn't been in the team for a while so he's bound to want to see what he's got in a game situation. As for Berrett well who else do we have, oh yes McAlister who has hardly played in 2 years. I agree its worth a go, unless there is something majorly wrong that we don't know I would expect Jolley to try him at some point.

We are Two weeks in! Give the guy a chance!

Exactly!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
ginnywings
March 18, 2018, 11:46am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,097
Gold Stars: 548
Well denni, by your own admission, you would rather spend the day dangling a float in a pond than watching Town, so i would just stick to your carp and tench until the end of the season and wait to see what he does with his own signings before writing him off. Chances are that we were never going to win yesterday whoever we played and possibly won't at Coventry or Wycombe either. Our season is going to come down to about three or four crucial fixtures.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 20
malkamalka
March 18, 2018, 4:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
Given all the negativity from the support base, as well as a general "hatred" of the players, here's my advice to Mr Jolley:

1. Ban the players from reading this forum
2. Ban yourself from reading this Forum
3. Go do your job mate  

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Another fine words manager

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.