3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Gaffer58
March 16, 2018, 6:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
I know they have been successful with Lincoln this last 2 seasons but reading on other threads that their ploy is to lump it to Read and then look for the knock on, are they really that good. We all know that the further up the football ladder you go the more technical the football has to be to be successful. I know at this moment in time we would willingly swap league positions but just wondering if they can work their "magic" in higher leagues.
Logged Offline
Private Message
sonofmadeleymariner
March 16, 2018, 6:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
Probably just better at recruitment, Hurst wasn't the greatest tactician but he had an eye for a player (most of the time).

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
Impish2
March 16, 2018, 6:41pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +55
DC has a win ratio of 60% over the three different clubs he has been in manager of. I think this is the best in our clubs history, so I can accept a bit of a direct approach if it proves successful.

I do also think they would be able to adjust the style accordingly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
Ipswin
March 16, 2018, 6:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Didn't we have a tactic where it was lumped forward diagonally under Hurst?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
Skrill
March 16, 2018, 6:53pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
Quoted from Impish2
DC has a win ratio of 60% over the three different clubs he has been in manager of. I think this is the best in our clubs history, so I can accept a bit of a direct approach if it proves successful.

I think the Cowleys are hidden gems, expect their future will be like Hurst flirting with the Championship.

[tweet]316134373063806976[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
pizzzza
March 16, 2018, 6:55pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,657
Gold Stars: 135
Quoted from Ipswin
Didn't we have a tactic where it was lumped forward diagonally under Hurst?

Think that was Toto's constant diagonal lumps towards Monkhouse...
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
Tommy
March 16, 2018, 7:01pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
I think only the very elite best are innovative, but what's key is that they're adaptable.  FWIW I think Cowley is.

They can have a plan of direct play up to Rhead and then win the 2nd balls all they want (if that is their plan?). But it's the detail they do it to and the smaller tactical details of the plan which make it more successful/efficient than some of the direct stuff earlier this season under Slade (towards the end didn't think it was particularly hoofball).

Also haven't they already adapted from a low budget and low expectations at Braintree where they were successful in terms of punching way above their weight (finished higher than us) to managing at Lincoln with greatet finances and fan expectations.

I'm sure if he/they managed higher up the FL they'd be intelligent enough to adapt themselves and their approach. Although as always, the proof is in the pudding and we'll see if try do get poached by bigger fish. Not all manager's can adapt to new methods successfully and that's why some manager's are better suited to certain levels of football (e.g. Neil Warnock great Championship manager but never lasted long in the PL).

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
HertsGTFC
March 16, 2018, 7:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,630
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from Impish2

Better than Graham Taylor?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
LongEatonMariner
March 16, 2018, 7:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
I think their strength is not necessarily tactical / attacking strategy but their motivation of individuals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
acko338
March 16, 2018, 8:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
Did anyone see the video on BBC1 when they had just taken over at Lincoln?

Some of the close skills training showed that even if they play lump football, the players have training skills to make the most of knock ons, and quick one on one situations, and changes of tactics - what have we had over the last season to compare with that level of skills work?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Are the Cowleys that innovative

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.