7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Swansea_Mariner
March 15, 2018, 4:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
Let's be honest the board tied the new managers hands behind his back before he even started by failing to act during the window.

Jolley is obviously doing  the best he can to change it up but the options out there are limited. That said sounds a decent short term signing so looking forward to seeing him at Swindon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 64
Mrs Doyle
March 15, 2018, 4:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Sheffa has the experience needed if he can deliver a decent cross and good shot he gets my vote. Hopefully, he can give us a better dead ball option than we have at the moment.

Welcome aboard Gary.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 64
Mrs Doyle
March 15, 2018, 5:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
So, now we have 4 ex scunny players on the books, who'd ever have thought that would happen...our once great club employing the lincolnshire rivals cast offs, is it just a sign of the tines or are we only scanning the local area to attract players that have an easy commute...not that I am bothered either way, maybe getting Mcsheffrey through the door could lead to Mcallister getting a start....my real concern is that we don't just employ more journeymen, would rather see young up n coming stars of the future who play for the love of the game, not just for the love of the next mortgage payment...

Not a problem for me these players know the terrain and played at a higher level to us. It works both ways they check out our players and loanees Conor Townsend for instance, Works for me anyway as long as it is not another Peter Beagrie lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 64
lew chaterleys lover
March 15, 2018, 5:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,546
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
So, now we have 4 ex scunny players on the books, who'd ever have thought that would happen...our once great club employing the lincolnshire rivals cast offs, is it just a sign of the tines or are we only scanning the local area to attract players that have an easy commute...not that I am bothered either way, maybe getting Mcsheffrey through the door could lead to Mcallister getting a start....my real concern is that we don't just employ more journeymen, would rather see young up n coming stars of the future who play for the love of the game, not just for the love of the next mortgage payment...

We nearly all want "up and coming stars" but we are outside of the transfer window! We are very limited who we can sign; in addition we need newcomers who can cope with the situation we find ourselves in and a good experienced pro seems to fit the bill.

It will be an entirely different recruitment situation in the close season, or at least I hope it will with proper footballers, young and hungry and the best from the leagues below.

It will be interesting to see if we do survive whether Fenty (assuming he stays) will fund a new squad full of the type of players you want, and make a genuine attempt to influence footballing fortune he often refers to.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 64
Grimbiggs
March 15, 2018, 8:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
I hope i'm proved wrong, but he was a wonderful player when i saw him playing for Birmingham, less so when I saw him at Scunny, and similar to Woolford....no harm i guess in signing him till the end of the season, but i'd be surpised if he made much of an impact.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 64
HertsGTFC
March 15, 2018, 9:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
If he can do 60 mins and give us something none of our midfield players have given us for ages an end product then what is there to lose?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 64
TAGG
March 15, 2018, 9:12pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Perkins

Personally, i couldn't give a flying fu*k who he is, or where he's come from, or indeed whoever he's played for, if he helps us stay up

Agreed

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 64
Tommy
March 15, 2018, 9:31pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Reading the piece on the telegraph site (with input/insight from the Scunny Telegraph), it looks like McSheffrey's played more as a no.10 in recent years.

I'd expect him to be starting on Saturday.

Will be interested to see where we use him, whether we change our shape to fit him in as a straight forward no.10 or whether he'd fit into Clifton's role from last week (starting wider but coming infield as one of two no.10's in possession). This could allow Clifton to play in central midfield maybe?

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 64
AndyGTFC
March 15, 2018, 11:40pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +774
Gold Stars: 4
If he's still the player he was at Scunny a couple of years back, it'll be a good signing. Was only last year he was playing against us when Donny smashed us at BP too.

Think he'll play number 10 for us and has always had a good set piece from him so it's up to him to see if he can win himself a contract extension next year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 64
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 16, 2018, 4:08am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from Grimbiggs
I hope i'm proved wrong, but he was a wonderful player when i saw him playing for Birmingham, less so when I saw him at Scunny, and similar to Woolford....no harm i guess in signing him till the end of the season, but i'd be surpised if he made much of an impact.

Would've been interesting to see people's views had this kind of open forum been around when we signed the likes of Birtles and Futcher

Let's hope you are proven wrong

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gary McSheffrey

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.