Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Michael Jolley - Recruitment?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 414 Guests

Michael Jolley - Recruitment?

This thread currently has 6,143 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Mighty_Mariner
March 12, 2018, 9:57am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
First of, I think I love Michael Jolley, not in the sense that I'm going to leave my girlfriend, start stalking him and rifling though his bins kind of love - or am I 🤔

I love his fresh thinking, his articulation of ideas and tactics, his use of psychology, his innovation, his passion for football and I think he's genuinly appreciative of us giving him his first shot in English football. We all know he can set a team up, switch tactics and formation mid-game, out-think the opposition and try that something a little different etc etc.

The thing that's has niggled me the last few days hough is we have no idea about his recruitment strategy or his eye for a player. Am I right in thinking he wasn't at Elkistuna during a transfer window? Will his time at Burnley, Palace etc give him the required knowledge of players that are out there?

By question is, should we be worried that come the summer, whatever league we're in, about his ability to bring in the right players for the fight? Managers/Ex-players usually stick to what they know with regards to players, Slade with Clarke and Wilko with Kelly, Hooper and Jaiyesimi, and Paul Hurst with his current squad of how many ex-Town players. Does Jolley have that to fall back on? Perhaps he does.

Should we be worried? I suspect not, but that's the one chink in his armour that I see at the moment - anybody else agree?

Having said all that, I genuinly do have a feeling that we've stumbled upon a gem in Michael Jolley and if given time and more importantly,  resources then we can go far under his leadership.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
11MARINER11
March 12, 2018, 10:13am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: -55
As soon as  he changed it second half i knew we would score , i could see it coming , maybe not injury time but could defo see it , So he is obviously tactically astute , if we love this club like we say we do and the fans and board help him i can see a bright future , and im sure he will just as astute with recruitment . Having said that im still not convinced the team is good enough to keep us up , cheers for that Slade.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
crusty ole pie
March 12, 2018, 10:17am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,311
Gold Stars: 62
If I had been on the interview panel that is the question I would be most delving in, as you say it maybe the making or the fall of the man, a poor recruitment campaign in the summer will almost certainly leaving him looking for a return to banking. I truly like the chap talks well , looks the part on the touch line  let’s hope he can give this lot the belief to keep us in the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
TownSNAFU5
March 12, 2018, 10:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
I think that you should still worry about the players Slade recruited (and players released). The generally bad choices will haunt us in the run-in and next season in some cases.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
Maringer
March 12, 2018, 10:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
For all the love-in I've seen with Jolley so far (which reminds me a little too much of Bignot's tenure - some people delighted with his interview technique, for instance!), let's not forget that we only won a point on Saturday thanks to a fantastic performance from our goalkeeper. The starting line-up was completely lacking in pace, we only had 2 attacking players on the pitch in Matt and Dembele and I think Jolley got that selection badly wrong. Much improved after the substitutions so he did the right thing in making the changes though of course we were chasing the game for a long time.

Not a huge criticism of Jolley who certainly says the right things and seems to be a bit more of a thinker than some managers we've seen without the flannel of the likes of Bignot, but I'm hoping for a bit more of a positive approach in the future matches at home. I realise you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and our attacking options were very limited on Saturday but hopefully, the introduction of fit-again Jackson and Wilks will give the opportunity to mix things up a bit.

I'd expect us to be pretty compact in the tough away matches coming up so don't expect all-out attack and would be delighted if we could nick a couple of points (or more!) in these, but we need to play a lot better at home to have a chance this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
oldun
March 12, 2018, 10:33am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I think Michael is the sort person who has a very good network of contacts in the game. It is those contacts that has enabled him to progress his career so far. Having taken the chance on recruiting him the board need to back him because I think he is a winner. I think he will start with the systems he wants to play and recruit players who will fit into those systems. He has already talked about round pegs in round holes within the existing squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
rancido
March 12, 2018, 12:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92
With so many players out of contract in the summer and the rest of the season to appraise his squad, I'm sure MJ will have a good idea of what he needs for next season. His time in charge of the under 23's at Burnley will give him a vast knowledge of the players in that age group at many clubs. Quite often a lot of these players are not deemed good enough to retain for Premier or Championship teams but could be excellent acquisitions for teams lower in the football league pyramid. One thing is for sure and that is that I don't think MJ will sign players just for the sake of it , unlike " The Nearly Man " in last summers transfer window.
The only thing of concern to me is not so much the playing budget but any kind of " wage cap " on what we pay individual players. I heard that RS had a player lined up last summer but someone allegedly interfered with the negotiations with the players agent to get a lower wage and the whole thing fell through. Now obviously this allegation is only hearsay but if true then could hamper future negotiations with quality players.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
mariner91
March 12, 2018, 12:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,254
Gold Stars: 253
All hungry managers are out watching loads of matches in their spare time. Slade had obviously lost any hunger he once had and spent most of his spare time in Don Noble in Louth (allegedly). I'm sure MJ is out there looking at relevant players and building up a knowledge base.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
lew chaterleys lover
March 12, 2018, 1:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
First of, I think I love Michael Jolley, not in the sense that I'm going to leave my girlfriend, start stalking him and rifling though his bins kind of love - or am I 🤔

I love his fresh thinking, his articulation of ideas and tactics, his use of psychology, his innovation, his passion for football and I think he's genuinly appreciative of us giving him his first shot in English football. We all know he can set a team up, switch tactics and formation mid-game, out-think the opposition and try that something a little different etc etc.

The thing that's has niggled me the last few days hough is we have no idea about his recruitment strategy or his eye for a player. Am I right in thinking he wasn't at Elkistuna during a transfer window? Will his time at Burnley, Palace etc give him the required knowledge of players that are out there?

By question is, should we be worried that come the summer, whatever league we're in, about his ability to bring in the right players for the fight? Managers/Ex-players usually stick to what they know with regards to players, Slade with Clarke and Wilko with Kelly, Hooper and Jaiyesimi, and Paul Hurst with his current squad of how many ex-Town players. Does Jolley have that to fall back on? Perhaps he does.

Should we be worried? I suspect not, but that's the one chink in his armour that I see at the moment - anybody else agree?

Having said all that, I genuinly do have a feeling that we've stumbled upon a gem in Michael Jolley and if given time and more importantly,  resources then we can go far under his leadership.

I am sure he has wide ranging contacts and players under review.

He would be ideal in persuading players to come and play for him with his personable manner and knowledge of the game.

Two flies in the ointment however - one it depends on what division we are in and two whether he will be allowed the money needed to get the players in he needs.

We cannot have any more of this two for the price of one rubbish; we are either serious about investing for the future, or we aren't.  
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
lukeo
March 12, 2018, 1:18pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 134
Can I just add to this conversation, before Saturday I thought to myself I wonder what Dembele would be like upfront with a big man.. It was so strange when I see the line up that, that is what he tried.... For me it wasn't a mistake, it was an experiment that didn't quite work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Michael Jolley - Recruitment?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.